Sign in to follow this  
Silphidae

Ruger Precision - Suggestions for Proper Set Up for First Timer

Just picked up a RPR in 6.5C, have Razor II 4.5-27, Badger Rings and 6-9 Harris BiPod. 

Looking for suggestions on how to set up the rifle to fit me or a good article on the subject. 

I can play with LOP, Cant, Butt Cheek Height and scope position. 

Example - If I keep LOP from the box, the scope needs to be quite far forward - obvious sign I need to adjust LOP (I assume). 

Should the scope be at a certain position and then LOP adjusted and if so what is that optimal position?

Where/when should I mess with cant?

I get the Butt Cheek riser, that's easy.  The rest is a little concerning. 

Any suggestions are welcome, especially those that point me to a good reference article and yes I did a search but I didn't find a lot of help with such a modular system as the RPR. 

I'll be taking it out on Sunday to break this in so have a few days to get comfortable.   

Second question is I need a class....Black Hat seems to have some decent reviews.  Any other suggestions welcomed especially if they're close to NJ. 

Just picked up a RPR in 6.5C, have Razor II 4.5-27, Badger Rings and 6-9 Harris BiPod. 

Looking for suggestions on how to set up the rifle to fit me or a good article on the subject. 

I can play with LOP, Cant, Butt Cheek Height and scope position. 

Example - If I keep LOP from the box, the scope needs to be quite far forward - obvious sign I need to adjust LOP (I assume). 

Should the scope be at a certain position and then LOP adjusted and if so what is that optimal position?

Where/when should I mess with cant?

I get the Butt Cheek riser, that's easy.  The rest is a little concerning. 

Any suggestions are welcome, especially those that point me to a good reference article and yes I did a search but I didn't find a lot of help with such a modular system as the RPR. 

I'll be taking it out on Sunday to break this in so have a few days to get comfortable.   

Second question is I need a class....Black Hat seems to have some decent reviews.  Any other suggestions welcomed especially if they're close to NJ. 

Where are you shooting sunday? I'm going to Range 14 sunday to try out my new Ruger Precision in 308. Would be cool to meet up and experiment together (and maybe shoot eachothers rifles in the two calibers!)

Adjust length of pull and comb height for comfort first and then position scope. When you're shooting slow fire you might want to hold your position for a bit while a gust of wind dies down. Thats why comfort is important. I like to have my scope set up so when I cheek the rifle I have a proper view through the scope. Ideally you should adjust stock in position you will be shooting it. I'd start out shooting from bench ad it's less tiring. You may require a stock adjustment when you change positions.

You can spend several hundred dollars or more for a "sniper" class. What are your intentions? Competition? Hunting? General long range shooting? It's not sexy but CJRPC offers a High Power Clinic in the spring every year. It costs $25 and is taught by guys and women that have proven themselves in competition. It's not sexy, doesn't turn you into a "sniper" but is cheap and you'll learn a lot.

Where are you shooting sunday? I'm going to Range 14 sunday to try out my new Ruger Precision in 308. Would be cool to meet up and experiment together (and maybe shoot eachothers rifles in the two calibers!)

Ill pm you, was just going to telco at the 100yd range to get a zero and try to set it up. 200yds could be more funner!

Adjust length of pull and comb height for comfort first and then position scope. When you're shooting slow fire you might want to hold your position for a bit while a gust of wind dies down. Thats why comfort is important. I like to have my scope set up so when I cheek the rifle I have a proper view through the scope. Ideally you should adjust stock in position you will be shooting it. I'd start out shooting from bench ad it's less tiring. You may require a stock adjustment when you change positions.

You can spend several hundred dollars or more for a "sniper" class. What are your intentions? Competition? Hunting? General long range shooting? It's

not sexy but CJRPC offers a High Power Clinic in the spring every year. It costs $25 and is taught by guys and women that have proven themselves in competition. It's not sexy, doesn't turn you into a "sniper" but is cheap and you'll learn a lot.

Looking for a basic class to get fundamentals down so i can ensure im practicing with good technique. Ive attended Seeklander's 3 day competitive shooting class and it was eye opening how much my competitive shooting improved. Also gave me a solid home trainimg plan to ensure continued advancement on my own. Black Hat introduction/imtermediate class description seems on point bit its not til May. I do like the idea of PRS vs F Class.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/151865472X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_beHEybMYCRR44

I am a chapter away from what you are asking about... but a very good read on the subject. Author does mention the RPR as a very good buy, but didn't have direct experience with it.

I held out from picking up rings for my rifle until I'm done with the book. I picked up a used Remington Model 7, and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x scope (Black Friday sale).

If you're new(er) to precision rifle, this series of vids are really good, as far as explaining the basics and fundamentals:

There are a bunch of vids, in the series.  I would watch all of em.

If you are getting into long range/precision rifle shooting, there is a bit of a learning curve, more than most other shooting disciplines.  After getting your rifle/optic set up and learning how to use your reticle, I would agree with looking into a shooting course.

If you are considering Black HAt, I would recommend it.  The beginner/intermediate course is pretty good.  Freddy (and crew), who posts here too, delivers a nice program that is educational and fun.  I took the beginner/intermediate course and got stuff out of it despite having some experience with long range shooting.  In the final test; unknown distance, 10 targets between 200 to 800 yds, I scored 9 out of 10 first round hits.  I mentioned this partially as a brag, but also to stress that at my level, i still felt the course was worthwhile (I'm no Chris Kyle, but I can shoot a lil).  I mostly went to have instructors observe my fundamentals and technique.  As you know, the better you get, the more important fundamentals are.

Anyhoo, if you are interested in Black Hat, Freddy can be reached at: 

[email protected] or here, under bhtc(?)

If you're new(er) to precision rifle, this series of vids are really good, as far as explaining the basics and fundamentals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

There are a bunch of vids, in the series.  I would watch all of em.

If you are getting into long range/precision rifle shooting, there is a bit of a learning curve, more than most other shooting disciplines.  After getting your rifle/optic set up and learning how to use your reticle, I would agree with looking into a shooting course.

If you are considering Black HAt, I would recommend it.  The beginner/intermediate course is pretty good.  Freddy (and crew), who posts here too, delivers a nice program that is educational and fun.  I took the beginner/intermediate course and got stuff out of it despite having some experience with long range shooting.  In the final test; unknown distance, 10 targets between 200 to 800 yds, I scored 9 out of 10 first round hits.  I mentioned this partially as a brag, but also to stress that at my level, i still felt the course was worthwhile (I'm no Chris Kyle, but I can shoot a lil).  I mostly went to have instructors observe my fundamentals and technique.  As you know, the better you get, the more important fundamentals are.

Anyhoo, if you are interested in Black Hat, Freddy can be reached at: 

[email protected] or here, under bhtc(?)

Thanks for the video links, thought I was set up alright but when I get on the rifle cold (after 12 hours plus) my sight picture is always a little different so I still jeeed some help. Downloaded the Cleckner book and have already reached out to Freddy. Wish there was a class a little sooner but that's ok, as this is going to be an expensive hobby if I get into it!

Just have to stress, make sure you start with a good fundamental foundation. The last tjing you want to do is to burn in poor habits i.e. improper/funky shooting form.

You'll like the Black Hat course. The range, Mifflin, is a 1050yd range. Perfect for long range shooting.

BTW, if anyone talks about long range and less than 500, 600 yd, etc distances...doesnt know long range shooting, lol

Thanks for the shout out Eric!   

The advice you are providing here is spot on.   Our dates are up for 2017 for the I/I course, advanced and DMR/RECCE.   

We don't do a whole lot of individual/private training but we are booking April 23rd as one.  Distance will be out to 700Y.  

At this point there are a couple slots open.  It will be five tops with two instructors.