Bully

New "Precision" Build Underway and Some Questions

So I have a new build underway.  I'm hoping to make this a sub-moa shooter.  She will live most of her life on the 100/200/300 yard lines at CR but I will be taking it to 600-700 at some point as well.  Longer distances will be on steel most likely, shorter on paper.  

The lower is built and it runs well.  Trigger needs to smooth out just a touch but overall I'm very happy with it.  

Aero Precision

Seekins extended mag release

Timney Targa 2 stage

My questions are regarding the upper.  I'm most likely going to run an 18-20" 8 twist with rifle gas if I can find what I'm looking for.  I'd for sure take a 7 twist if I find one at a good price as I do handload and will probably have a single round mag block for shooting at distance.  Most likely I'll have it threaded for a comp just to completely minimize or eliminate muzzle jump.

I'm betwixt and between getting a billet upper of some sort but am unsure of how much benefit I will receive from it.  I've heard that I should just spend a bit more and grab a BCM M4 upper and go with that.  Any suggestions?

Additionally, does anyone here believe in lapping the receiver face and/or bedding the barrel extension with Lock-Tite?  Any feeling on what that may get me as far as consistency and, by extension, accuracy?  

Thanks as always for any help.

Undecided. Does it matter?

I think it does given your latter requirement in the 6-700 yard range.  Are you planning on .223 Wylde using 70+ grain bullets?

Why?

I'm "building" it myself. Not at all interested in pre-built uppers.

Larue makes parts to very tight tolerances. I didn't realize you wanted to totally build it. I would still recommend the Stealth barrel then with whatever receiver you with. You want accuracy, this will deliver. Throw on a SLR adjustable gas block and you can really tune the recoil. I've used the BCM upper on another build and had no problems with it.

I think it does given your latter requirement in the 6-700 yard range.  Are you planning on .223 Wylde using 70+ grain bullets?

Agreed. However right now I'm trying to sort out parts for the upper and whether or not facing and/or bedding is worth it. Caliber doesn't come into play just yet.

If I do a 223 I will load 70+ grain bullets in a 7 twist but caliber is undecided at this time.

Larue makes parts to very tight tolerances. I didn't realize you wanted to totally build it. I would still recommend the Stealth barrel then with whatever receiver you with. You want accuracy, this will deliver. Throw on a SLR adjustable gas block and you can really tune the recoil. I've used the BCM upper on another build and had no problems with it.

Cool. Thanks. I hope I didn't come across as a dick it for sure wasnt meant that way.

Yeah, I like to assemble everything and want to do it as "right" as I can. I'm a tinkerer, much to my detriment at times.

I'm going to suggest the BCM upper because you will NOT have to bed the barrel with locktite. It takes heat on the upper receiver to expand it just enough to squeeze the barrel extension in. BCM advertises their uppers as being under sized. I can confirm that you cannot move the barrel with out heat on all 3 of my BCM uppers.if you used locktite 99% of it would be scrapped off as you mate the 2. Lapping the face is easy enough and probably worth it if u were going to get every bit of accuracy out of it... But think about what kinda barrel your going to use... Not much point in doing it unless your getting a match grade barrel.

Sure. Why wouldn't it?

Not a problem. I'll just read. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Read my response to Rob

FWIW, I'm not busting balls here. But at this point caliber isn't the consideration. The "technical " aspects of the build are in question, nothing more. I pointed out distances I'm going to shoot to avoid someone saying it can't be done without a 30" barrel or some such. Sorry if it came across wrong.

• Like 1

Strongly considering a Rainier Arms Supermatch. But it'll all depend, ultimately, on caliber choice and what I can find in the specs I want.

I like the RA barrels, I've had good experience with two in .223.  On a side note I'm not sure the loctite bedding does anything.  Anti-sieze the threads, torque accurately 3 times and you should have the right stretch on the threads to hold the barrel as it should.  The anti-seize provides a lubricant so you get accurate torque readings.   I don't see how a properly torqued barrel nut wouldn't provide the accuracy required.  

If you want to do it I'd use blue, I've read some people use red, and I don't see how it can hurt either.  It's cheap enough to try it.  I'd shoot it with proper torque on lubed threads and then try the loctite to see if it improves.  I'm not sure I buy it yet but the proof will be in the pudding.  

• Like 1

Read my response to Rob

FWIW, I'm not busting balls here. But at this point caliber isn't the consideration. The "technical " aspects of the build are in question, nothing more. I pointed out distances I'm going to shoot to avoid someone saying it can't be done without a 30" barrel or some such. Sorry if it came across wrong.

No prob. But standard AR 5.56 is good out to at least 800 meters. But then there are other calibers in the AR design besides that.

Just want to observe and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it true that certain makes of upper receivers are more accurate because they are more "trued" or straight in relation to the barrel nut and barrel?  I remember reading somewhere that for accuracy, certain makes were much better than others but I can't seem to find that article and what the reasons were.

I've always wondered this myself...  but I would guess that the upper receiver would play a decent role if you're going for sub-MOA at distance

Would a billet vs forged upper receiver make a difference for that same purpose?

I've handlapped a few uppers for locally commissioned work.  Generally speaking, billet uppers required less material to be removed to be trued.  That being said, I'm not completely convinced it matters for most shooters.  I say that because none of my precision AR uppers had that work done yet I'm the weak link when shooting them.  Why don't I do it to my guns?  Because I'm not getting paid.  ;)

• Like 1

I've handlapped a few uppers for locally commissioned work.  Generally speaking, billet uppers required less material to be removed to be trued.  That being said, I'm not completely convinced it matters for most shooters.  I say that because none of my precision AR uppers had that work done yet I'm the weak link when shooting them.  Why don't I do it to my guns?  Because I'm not getting paid.  ;)

Not to thread jack but nice price on the mega billet set. I just signed up for an alert for when it's back in stock.

• Like 3

Not to thread jack but nice price on the mega billet set. I just signed up for an alert for when it's back in stock.

I've bothered Ty on more than one occasion and he's generally my go to for parts on my relatively infrequent AR builds.  Awesome prices and a serious base of knowledge.  

I ordered a BCM blem upper.  Should be here end of next week.  I guess that this means I need to hunker down on my caliber choice.  

I've bothered Ty on more than one occasion and he's generally my go to for parts on my relatively infrequent AR builds.  Awesome prices and a serious base of knowledge.  

I ordered a BCM blem upper.  Should be here end of next week.  I guess that this means I need to hunker down on my caliber choice.  

If you aren't going grendel consider .223 Wylde or 6x45.  No additional brass and the latter just requires a set of dies, not expensive.  You can go 10-25 grains heavier on bullets for the days you want to stretch out.  However, the 70+ grain .223 will be plenty for your 600 yard days.  

If you aren't going grendel consider .223 Wylde or 6x45.  No additional brass and the latter just requires a set of dies, not expensive.  You can go 10-25 grains heavier on bullets for the days you want to stretch out.  However, the 70+ grain .223 will be plenty for your 600 yard days.  

If I skip the Grendel, which is looking likely, I will be doing a Wylde chamber.  For sure.  

I don't have a lot of interest in the 6x45 as the case capacity is too small, to me, to gain any real benefit.  It's an awesome little cartridge but akin to 300BO.  Just a bit too weird with too little use for me.  

If I skip the Grendel, which is looking likely, I will be doing a Wylde chamber.  For sure.  

I don't have a lot of interest in the 6x45 as the case capacity is too small, to me, to gain any real benefit.  It's an awesome little cartridge but akin to 300BO.  Just a bit too weird with too little use for me.  

I can't believe you're not considering the 6mmAR.Decent case capacity. Readily available brass and you can push 95gr bullets close to 3000fps(hot).

105/107gr pills to 2850 with ease.

Rob - talk to this boy....

I can't believe you're not considering the 6mmAR.Decent case capacity. Readily available brass and you can push 95gr bullets close to 3000fps(hot).

Over and over and over...  ;)

No interest in it.  Great round but too much work for me.  I want either an absolute barrel burning, flat shooting little bullet OR something straight off the shelf.

Honestly the 223 is in the lead for the amount of money I can save and accomplish everything I'm looking to do.  Not to mention that there are a lot of parts at blowout prices to be had right now that the companies were apparently hoarding for her election victory.  It would be an awesome semi-auto trainer for longer distance shooting.  But I'm still going roundy-round on it.  

I've mentioned it to him but it isn't his thing right now.  If I can get some free time I'll take him to CR and let him bang a few out of that soft shooting tack driver.  

If anyone hasn't noticed Frank is a huge fan of the the 6mmAR.  :)

I've mentioned it to him but it isn't his thing right now.  If I can get some free time I'll take him to CR and let him bang a few out of that soft shooting tack driver.  

If anyone hasn't noticed Frank is a huge fan of the the 6mmAR.   :)

@ Rob - Yep putting one together for a deer rifle.

Will be abandoning the 95gr SMK soon for 105 or 107gr.  We shoot a little longer down here.

• Like 1