Twospot

My small changes to Glock 19

I went ahead and added a talon grip and Speed Sights to the 19 today. Can't wait to hit the range and test out the sights. I bought a universal sight pusher tool and the thing worked amazing. It's already mostly paid for itself. It cost $60. GSSC wanted to charge $40 to install. Next gun I change sights on it more then pays for it. Also got a really cool range bag that has dedicated packs for three handguns. Two are taken up with The Glock and Ruger SR22. The range bag pic is a stock photo because I didn't feel like dealing with taking more pics LOL

file.jpeg

file1.jpeg

file2.jpeg

Tactical-Range-Backpack-Tan.jpg

Looks nice, but that tool is really not needed.  Just use a flat punch with some tape on it and a hammer, I do it all the time that way.

Or, if you buy from dawson, he usually includes an aluminum punch for the rear sight, and a nut driver for the front.

BTW - Don't forget to turn-down and lock-tite that set screw. Little buggers like to fly away after a few shots.

Looks nice, but that tool is really not needed.  Just use a flat punch with some tape on it and a hammer, I do it all the time that way.

Yes it even said that in the directions. I just don't trust myself on something that delicate with a hammer lol

Or, if you buy from dawson, he usually includes an aluminum punch for the rear sight, and a nut driver for the front.

BTW - Don't forget to turn-down and lock-tite that set screw. Little buggers like to fly away after a few shots.

Thanks. I did turn it down but didn't locktite it. I'll do that. I did make sure to locktite the front though

A quality sight pusher is worth its weight in gold - I have the MGW one. I love it!

Screw that punch and hammer crap. You end up marking the crap out of your gun and it takes forever compared to the tool. You hit it too hard and it's too far left. You tap it back and now it too far right. With the pusher you just give it a quarter turn, half turn, whatever and you are in business.

You also need a vice or bench block to use a punch. The pusher doesn't need any of that.

Best part is you can bring the pusher to the range and adjust windage on the fly. Just lock the slide to the rear, install the pusher and make adjustments. Remove the pusher, load it up and check your POA/POI. You don't even need a vice or bench block.

• Like 1

A quality sight pusher is worth its weight in gold - I have the MGW one. I love it!

Screw that punch and hammer crap. You end up marking the crap out of your gun and it takes forever compared to the tool. You hit it too hard and it's too far left. You tap it back and now it too far right. With the pusher you just give it a quarter turn, half turn, whatever and you are in business.

You also need a vice or bench block to use a punch. The pusher doesn't need any of that.

Best part is you can bring the pusher to the range and adjust windage on the fly. Just lock the slide to the rear, install the pusher and make adjustments. Remove the pusher, load it up and check your POA/POI. You don't even need a vice or bench block.

It definitely made it easy. I'm hoping I have it adjusted right, but to your point, it will be in the bag if I need to adjust and can do it easily on the spot

I cannot wait to hear range report on these sights.

With OEM sight I find myself fishing and comparing sight picture between black and white parts of the target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Will definitely report back

It is indeed. I was going to buy the black one from NRA to give them the money, but shipped it was $190! Got the tan one off amazon for $126 shipped including tax.

Yeah got the same one in Black myself, also from Amazon. All I have so far IA a Sig MK25, need too fill it up!!!

+1

I bought the same one with every shoe made. Definitely not cheap. I've changed a dozen so far. Eventually it will pay for itself.

Sent from an undisclosed location

So I hit the range today. I shot 50 rounds at 5yds. It was great for the first 8 rounds. All in the bullseye. Then it just went south. I'm pretty confident the problem is NOT the sights. I was going to post the target but it's too embarrassing. It's all over. In some cases I intentionally shot to the right and high. Everything low and to the left there was no intention.

The lime green front sight is easy to see for sure though. I am definitely a novice and know I need much practice and training. However I do want to know if my sights are ok.

So I hit the range today. I shot 50 rounds at 5yds. It was great for the first 8 rounds. All in the bullseye. Then it just went south. I'm pretty confident the problem is NOT the sights. I was going to post the target but it's too embarrassing. It's all over. In some cases I intentionally shot to the right and high. Everything low and to the left there was no intention.

The lime green front sight is easy to see for sure though. I am definitely a novice and know I need much practice and training. However I do want to know if my sights are ok.

Did the sights shift?

Did the sights shift?

I have been examining the rear sight. It looks like it may by a hair off to one side. I tried to use a ruler to measure each side and it seems like it's ok. I had my woman look at it and asked if she thought it was off at all and she though it was slightly off to the same side I thought. I'm gonna move it a hair. I wish I had a tiny ruler. I tried calipers but I can't seem to get a good grab with them.

• Like 1

From the description it sounds like a problem with a front sight. I would check if it moves. Was it slow or rapid fire?

Front sight seems solid. It was a really tight fit and I used some blue locktite on that screw.

Re-reading your original post, "all over the the target" and "low and left" are two different problems. Low and left its seem to be common Glock problem when shooter milking the grip. If rear sight is a hair left it will obviously emphasize the problem.

Re-reading your original post, "all over the the target" and "low and left" are two different problems. Low and left its seem to be common Glock problem when shooter milking the grip. If rear sight is a hair left it will obviously emphasize the problem.

Probably both. Two sets of eyes think it's a hair left. I know I am anticipating recoil which is definitely something I need to work on so I'm probably loosening my grip. I think I need to work an even grip front to back as well.

Everyone's eyes are different.

Every gun is different.

Perfectly centered rear sights don't always equate to straight shootin'.

My sights are all a little bit to the right to center punch a target at 25 yards.

Also, at 5 yards, you aren't seeing much deviation with POA/POI - so any discrepancy with a bad sight installation of placement should me minimal. You will, however, see very distinct and noticible POA/POI issues with trigger control, flinch, bad grip, and recoil anticipation issues at that range though.

$100 says it's a problem with trigger control and anticipation.

Everyone's eyes are different.

Every gun is different.

Perfectly centered rear sights don't always equate to straight shootin'.

My sights are all a little bit to the right to center punch a target at 25 yards.

Also, at 5 yards, you aren't seeing much deviation with POA/POI - so any discrepancy with a bad sight installation of placement should me minimal. You will, however, see very distinct and noticible POA/POI issues with trigger control, flinch, bad grip, and recoil anticipation issues at that range though.

$100 says it's a problem with trigger control and anticipation.

I won't take that bet since I already called myself out on what you said. However it would be good to confirm the sights are indeed ok. I definitely appreciate you providing your feedback for sure!

If you haven't yet, invest in a a decent set of sand bags.

Take the time (and it will take some time) and sight in the pistol, I know it's not the fun-est thing in the world to do with your range time.  Grab a seat, set up a nice solid bench rest and start testing with strings of 5 shots.  Check your grouping and POA / POI.  I would say you should test from at least 10 or 15 yards.  Adjust your sights (Bring that pusher to the range, I have the same one BTW) until you are happy with your Sight Picture and POA/POI (Point of Aim vs Point of Impact).

Once you are sure your pistol is sighted in, THEN you can start diagnosing trigger control issues and really work on your accuracy

• Like 1

Also, I know you have fancy dots on there. But... the dots on pistol sight are not for precise aiming. They are for quick reference on your sight alignment (sight alignment being proper application of front and rear sight, sight picture is when you apply your sight alignment onto a target) and certain low light applications.

For aiming, you should be using the crisp outline of the front sight, centered in the blurry notch of the rear right - equal light on both sides, flat across the top - superimposed on your out of focus target.

If you have XS Big dots, forget what I said until you go out and buy some real sights.

• Like 1

If you haven't yet, invest in a a decent set of sand bags.

Take the time (and it will take some time) and sight in the pistol, I know it's not the fun-est thing in the world to do with your range time. Grab a seat, set up a nice solid bench rest and start testing with strings of 5 shots. Check your grouping and POA / POI. I would say you should test from at least 10 or 15 yards. Adjust your sights (Bring that pusher to the range, I have the same one BTW) until you are happy with your Sight Picture and POA/POI (Point of Aim vs Point of Impact).

Once you are sure your pistol is sighted in, THEN you can start diagnosing trigger control issues and really work on your accuracy

I agree with what you are saying, except the last sentence. If you have trigger control/anticipation issues that are presenting itself as inches from your POA at 5 yards, sighting your gun in is useless and will only reinforce your bad habits.

If I make my sights show proper POA for my trigger slapping or recoil anticipating POI, I will only continue to train those bad habits. If I start to eliminate my flinch, or sloppy trigger, my POA/POI will be off again and I will think I am doing something wrong.

You need to have a basic understanding of trigger control and the ability to know when you are doing it correctly (so you can call your shots when you don't) before dialing in the sights.

I can ask any shooter what proper sight picture is and they will answer correctly.

Ask a shooter about trigger control, anticipation, flinch, finger placement, proper grip.... you get Guppy eyes.

Everyone knows what it's supposed to look like to hit their target, but most don't know what it is supposed to feel like.

ETA: Rob Leatham says it better than I can. The title is "Clickbaity" but pay attention. In the video he says you do have to aim, but that comes after you can control the gun.

Also, I know you have fancy dots on there. But... the dots on pistol sight are not for precise aiming. They are for quick reference on your sight alignment (sight alignment being proper application of front and rear sight, sight picture is when you apply your sight alignment onto a target) and certain low light applications.

For aiming, you should be using the crisp outline of the front sight, centered in the blurry notch of the rear right - equal light on both sides, flat across the top - superimposed on your out of focus target.

If you have XS Big dots, forget what I said until you go out and buy some real sights.

This is great info. In all honesty that is EXACTLY what it looked like. I thought something was wrong . I saw the front sight clear as day. but rear sight and target was blurry. As far as the sights I purchased, they are for quicker sight acquisition. In the info they sent it states the pointed tip of the front sight should be on your target, not the diamond as a whole along with everything else you stated. I have a color deficiency so the bright a$$ front against the rear white allows the front to be very distinctive to my eye. I'm also not stuck with them since they have 60 return policy. Full refund if you don't like them.

I agree with what you are saying, except the last sentence. If you have trigger control/anticipation issues that are presenting itself as inches from your POA at 5 yards, sighting your gun in is useless and will only reinforce your bad habits.

If I make my sights show proper POA for my trigger slapping or recoil anticipating POI, I will only continue to train those bad habits. If I start to eliminate my flinch, or sloppy trigger, my POA/POI will be off again and I will think I am doing something wrong.

You need to have a basic understanding of trigger control and the ability to know when you are doing it correctly (so you can call your shots when you don't) before dialing in the sights.

I can ask any shooter what proper sight picture is and they will answer correctly.

Ask a shooter about trigger control, anticipation, flinch, finger placement, proper grip.... you get Guppy eyes.

Everyone knows what it's supposed to look like to hit their target, but most don't know what it is supposed to feel like.

ETA: Rob Leatham says it better than I can. The title is "Clickbaity" but pay attention. In the video he says you do have to aim, but that comes after you can control the gun.

I do know for a fact grip in and of itself grip was an issue last night. I watched a good video and I was definitely doing it wrong. Not the grip as in where I was putting my hands, but where I was putting the pressure. How I understand it I was placing pressure side to side not front to back. I can immediately understand why that is so important. The highlighted line in your post cannot be any more true. What it all feels like is the difficult part. I shot some back in 2012. Life events caused me to put it on the back burner. I'm back in the game so it's like starting from scratch again since I was a novice back then.

This is a great video and I will absolutely will be doing this. The concept makes total sense. Thanks HE!