Sign in to follow this  
specopsscout

Rechambering my .308 to a .300 WSM

I'm looking for recommendations for a rifle shop, preferably in NJ, with the skill to rechamber my Terry Cross KMW built Remington 700 SA, 26" MTU Krieger .308 to .300 WSM. The rifle is a true quarter MOA shooter, and I'd like to keep a similar level of performance with the larger round, so I'm looking for skilled and experienced hands.

Re-chambering a true 1/4 moa rifle? Chill runs up spine....

I hear you Shane. My best shooting 308 was my KMW rifle built by Terry Cross on a Surgeon 591 action. I had Terry chamber another barrel for me in 260 Rem last year. Another laser. For me, its the best of both worlds having a switch barrel set up. Takes me 10 minutes to switch from one caliber to the other.

I expected that to be the answer. In the alternative - I'd make my way to Nescopeck, PA and leave it in nthe very capable hands of Wally Hart.

Bobby - I'm not a fanboy but he's done some nice work for Topher that's all I know.  Bob White in Lake Hopatcong is another alternative and is in the benchrest hall of fame.  So really quite a few choices.

What is the reason for going to 300 WSM?  The cartridge has a rebated rim, expensive to shoot, will only give you about 200 additional meters over the 308 (roughly 1000M vs 1200M), and will burn up barrels in half the time if handloaded to the max.  If a must have, another rifle would be my choice.

• Like 1

Bobby - I'm not a fanboy but he's done some nice work for Topher that's all I know.  Bob White in Lake Hopatcong is another alternative and is in the benchrest hall of fame.  So really quite a few choices.

'They've done two for me as well. I'd not worry using Tier One.

I expected that to be the answer. In the alternative - I'd make my way to Nescopeck, PA and leave it in nthe very capable hands of Wally Hart.

'They've done two for me as well. I'd not worry using Tier One.

Thanks for the heads up. I shot an email to Tier One yesterday. If I don't hear from them in the next few, I'll reach out to Mr. White and Mr. Hart. Thanks, again.