BigAl

Upper assembly recommendation

So I've decided to assemble my first AR, I got the lower receiver, got the LPK, got mags, going with ALG trigger, and probably a Luth AR stock.  Now I can't figure out what upper assembly to go with or to build it?  I've been looking at Odin works, Rainier Arms, DSG and some others.  I have about a $500-$800 budget for the upper.  All suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

What are you looking to get out of it? Do you want something that can sub-MOA or just something to blast at the range?

An upper that I will be building (hopefully in the fall)will have the following.

Larue Stealth Barrel

SLR Ion Hand Guard

SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block

BCM Blem Upper

BCM Charging Handle

AIM V2 BCG

SLR Linear Comp

This is about $200 over your budget but if you ditch the adjustable gas block and go for a cheaper handguard, you would be below the $800 mark.

I have a build with a Odin SS 18" 3 Gun Intermediate Gas Barrel that is by far worth every dime spent. Got if from Ty at MidwestPX a sponsor here.  Great service, fast shipping, Built with a Rock River upper, Samson Evolution 15" Handguard, and a Nibx BCG. Can't remember charging handle or brake at the moment. Took a while to gather all the parts, just kept looking for sales around different vendors for everthing but the barrel combo from Ty.  Came with gas block and tube. Cost was around your upper limit.

• Like 1

Best value in an uppers I have seen. Any of them are good to go.

http://www.primaryarms.com/1+Upper-Complete-Assemblies/Brand+Troy-Industries/Mcategories+Gun-Parts/

This is the one I would get:

Troy Industries 16" 5.56 Upper w/ 13" M-LOK Rail and Flip Sights

(Don't know why I can't link to it directly...)

If you bought the parts, you be in for over $1K, not including tools to assemble.

You will need to replace the flash hider with a brake and have it pinned, but that's it.

I have one of the ALPHA models and it's great. I have talked about a dozen friends into this upper as well, and all are pleased.

Best value in an upper I have seen:

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-industries-16-5-56-upper-w-13-m-lok-rail-and-flip-sights-supg-5mf-16bt-00

If you bought the parts, you be in for over $1K, not including tools to assemble.

You will need to replace the flash hider with a brake and have it pinned, but that's it.

I have one of the ALPHA models and it's great. I have talked about a dozen friends into this upper as well, and all are pleased.

LINK NO WORK.  :tommy:

Thanks for the recommendations.  Between all these different manufacturers it's hard to figure out is ones quality better than the other and does it make sense to pay the extra coin for the slight benefit that in most cases a person would not notice.