Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Taking new shooters

Is it me, or do you get excited to take newbs to the range?

This Couple will be my 4th and 5th new recruits.

After a trip directly to and from RAF on Saturday we will enjoy a dunch or linner at Yard house. ( like over 100 beers on tap).

Obviously the conversation I'll steer is how to fill out the " pre printed" ( furnished ala Zeke)forms for their FPID's and P2P 's.

• Like 1

It's always enjoyable to share one's interests with others who are curious about those interests.  Whether it be firearms, car repair, gardening or collecting those adorable Lenox figurines, don't you DARE judge!!    :)

it just so happens that people who enjoy firearms, especially in the Peoples Republic of New Germany, and  who enjoy the various activities associated with firearms are few and far between.  So when we find a kindred spirit, especially a newbie, it reignites our own passion and interest all over again.  it's like feeling like a kid on Christmas morning all over again.

We were all newbies at one time and someone helped us along.  Answered questions.  Let us shoot a few of their different types of guns.  Shared their knowledge.  We are just paying it forward.

Plus  screw NJ and all the antis!  Introducing new shooters is a survival instinct.  The more eyes we open about these mystical things called firearms, the more we guarantee that we will be able to enjoy them in the future.  The larger our secret group becomes, the more normalized and socially acceptable it becomes.  The more (hopefully) people there will be to push back on laws which make it less enjoyable for all of us to enjoy shooting, hunting, etc.  Even if the newbies don't buy their own gun and "gun the secret group" at least we've dispelled many misconceptions about firearm owners and firearms in general.

Anyone who doesn't get excited about introducing newbies to firearms just does't have a soul.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think this is just great that you folks do this. Seriously. Fantastic! People contribute in different ways - donations to 2A organizations, political action, etc. - but I think bringing people to the range is something ANYONE can do. I mean, if you're going to the range anyway, how difficult is it to pull someone along?

I'm still very much a newbie myself... and have been a bit hesitant to "fess up" to my new hobby, but I've decided to change all that. I was a recruiter in a former career, for goodness sakes... this should be a snap. :-) So, I did bring my very first guest to the range a couple of months ago - she loved it, btw!... and I've given myself the modest goal of getting 6 brand new people to the range in 2017. Thereafter, I'll look to increase it each year. 

• Like 2

Good for you Mrs Peel! As your one trip to the range with your friend demonstrated there are many people out there who are curious or who want to learn.

Please don't feel like you're "coming clean". You've done nothimg wrong. You found a new activity that you enjoy but wanted to master the fundamentals before you were ready to take anyone else with you.

Congrats to you on your decision on living life in the open as a gun owner. Be proud!

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of bringing new people into shooting sports and enjoy seeing kids especially shoot and hit their targets for the first time. Last summer I took a friends son who lives in the projects in East New York. Shot a few .22s at soda cans and steel spinners. The kid was hooked, he even wrote an essay at school about going to the shooting range in the "country" over the summer, and dident get expelled lol. He was probably the only kid in his school to see a legally owned gun.

• Like 1

After a trip directly to and from RAF on Saturday we will enjoy a dunch or linner at Yard house. ( like over 100 beers on tap).

Obviously the conversation I'll steer is how to fill out the " pre printed" ( furnished ala Zeke)forms for their FPID's and P2P 's.

Just out of curiosity, do they approach you more, asking you to take them,  or do you approach them more, offering to take them?  

I'll admit I'm still a bit cautious about trusting my 2A status with people I don't yet know sufficiently, although here in Florida, it's getting a lot easier to trust people.  I  never told my neighbors in NJ, although I would have totally enjoyed taking my next door neighbor and her and her 10 y/o son. OTOH, one other of my neighbors in NJ (the "neighborhood busy body" and a total anti-gunner) would have filed a "mental health" case against me, just to have my guns confiscated. 

Here in FL, I know already that one of my neighbors is pro-2A and shoots like I do. I don't know about the others yet, but I'm feeling them out, and will take any of them to the range who ask me.  Likewise, I'm meeting business associates who are also pro-2A or, at least, pro-2a "tolerant."   Hell, even my area Chamber of Commerce sponsors an annual "sporting clay" tournament. I volunteered to work the "crazy clays" station. It was a huge hit and packed to the hilt.

So it's getting much better, but I'm still somewhat cautious.  

Just out of curiosity, do they approach you more, asking you to take them, or do you approach them more, offering to take them?

I'll admit I'm still a bit cautious about trusting my 2A status with people I don't yet know sufficiently, although here in Florida, it's getting a lot easier to trust people. I never told my neighbors in NJ, although I would have totally enjoyed taking my next door neighbor and her and her 10 y/o son. OTOH, one other of my neighbors in NJ (the "neighborhood busy body" and a total anti-gunner) would have filed a "mental health" case against me, just to have my guns confiscated.

Here in FL, I know already that one of my neighbors is pro-2A and shoots like I do. I don't know about the others yet, but I'm feeling them out, and will take any of them to the range who ask me. Likewise, I'm meeting business associates who are also pro-2A or, at least, pro-2a "tolerant." Hell, even my area Chamber of Commerce sponsors an annual "sporting clay" tournament. I volunteered to work the "crazy clays" station. It was a huge hit and packed to the hilt.

So it's getting much better, but I'm still somewhat cautious.

I approach .

This couple today we go camping with 2x a year.

My Nieghbor's are all in the hook( the conversation starts when they say thank you for plowing me out).

Others have been Mrs Z coworkers. Took one. Now 1/2 the office wants to go.( women )

• Like 1

Hi Zeke!!

You took them to the Royal Air Force for sidearms training??????????   j/k---I know where ya took them, lol!

Been reading everyone's posts with glee, especially Glenn's!  I took my GF out shooting, then married her (just like Glenn)!  That was almost 34 years ago.  

I don't hide my 2A pride, I wear it like a billboard, lol!  For those that are taking Newbies to the range, I'd like to help with some free targets, so shoot me a PM with name, address & phone and I'll have my membership chairwoman mail you some "Charlie-the-Perp" targets from http://www.cnjfo.com/Store .

Everyone keep up the great work here!

Rosey

• Like 1

At my club we have a Wednesday pistol night that's open to the public. As one of the range safety officers I get to assist newbies almost every time, and it's the best part of the gig! Except of course, getting to see everyone's handguns.

My mailman rang my doorbell yesterday. He had a box on his shoulder and said, "I didn't want you to have to do a deadlift...more lead?"  He knows I shoot matches and the bare essential information needed to get him to move on his way, but he seems like he's into it. He did tell me once that he delivers a LOT of Rifleman magazines around the neighborhood.

At my club we have a Wednesday pistol night that's open to the public. As one of the range safety officers I get to assist newbies almost every time, and it's the best part of the gig! Except of course, getting to see everyone's handguns.

My mailman rang my doorbell yesterday. He had a box on his shoulder and said, "I didn't want you to have to do a deadlift...more lead?" He knows I shoot matches and the bare essential information needed to get him to move on his way, but he seems like he's into it. He did tell me once that he delivers a LOT of Rifleman magazines around the neighborhood.

Hes angling for an invite.
  • Like 1