...and I don't mean flexing my biceps!

Seriously, I'm gonna check out the Oaks Gun Show on Saturday. I won't hassle with buying any firearms (shipping to FFL and what not), but I am hoping to stock up on some ammo. Is ammo normally legit there? Do I need to worry about people stuffing junk ammo in name brand boxes or anything. It will be cool to check out all the guns as well, but purchase will be ammo, maybe an IWB holster to start learning how to draw. Any recommendations on a starter IWB? There are so many, I wouldn't know where to start.

• Like 1

If you have a NJ FID, you are able to purchase long guns (granted NJ compliant) from dealers (includes Sunday). Handguns must go through a NJ FFL, which some do go for those instances (still need a valid permit).

Ammo isn't that big of an issue in regards to shabby sellers. If the box doesn't looked tampered with, use your head. If you see a $5 box of .44 Magnum ammo, I'd look a little closer. Personally, I wouldn't buy reloads or questionable/opened ammo from there. I've also had people argue with me about things I'm 100% on, to try and get me to buy their $75 box of ammo that probably wouldn't go off. Brush up on what you are looking for, and if needed, search the internet if you aren't sure (multiple sources, as your first result might be wrong).

If you are looking for optics, or other high end gear, that is were you are really need to watch. If you see someone that pretty much should be at a common flea market, don't expect an Aimpoint to be sitting on his table that is not fake. Tons of cheap knives and stun guns... not likely a great place to get good gear.

There are people selling collectibles... usually knowing what they go for. But there are also people that have fake stuff, and will price it as normal collectibles. For example, Nazi-era daggers are worth a few hundred dollars... but if you look both sides of the handle and see the eagle emblem, it is a fake. The backside was not emblemed, since it was in a sheath.

Holsters, there are a few people that will make a holster for you. Bring your cased gun, have it verified that it is unloaded when you enter, and stop by and talk with one of those guys. I've had custom holsters made via the internet, but might bring my SP-01 for a holster to fit the Tac-Block.

Most ammo is sold by dealers at gunshows, as in a case is opened and the boxes sold. A little more peace of mind knowing that they'd have to tamper with a ton of ammo.

I've also seen reloads sold labeled as reloads. Don't buy them.

Do, however, buy commercial reloads if you feel the need to do so. I bought a fair amount when it was all I could afford. It kept me shooting so I won't complain about the few duds.

If you have a NJ FID, you are able to purchase long guns (granted NJ compliant) from dealers (includes Sunday). Handguns must go through a NJ FFL, which some do go for those instances (still need a valid permit).

Ammo isn't that big of an issue in regards to shabby sellers. If the box doesn't looked tampered with, use your head. If you see a $5 box of .44 Magnum ammo, I'd look a little closer. Personally, I wouldn't buy reloads or questionable/opened ammo from there. I've also had people argue with me about things I'm 100% on, to try and get me to buy their $75 box of ammo that probably wouldn't go off. Brush up on what you are looking for, and if needed, search the internet if you aren't sure (multiple sources, as your first result might be wrong).

If you are looking for optics, or other high end gear, that is were you are really need to watch. If you see someone that pretty much should be at a common flea market, don't expect an Aimpoint to be sitting on his table that is not fake. Tons of cheap knives and stun guns... not likely a great place to get good gear.

There are people selling collectibles... usually knowing what they go for. But there are also people that have fake stuff, and will price it as normal collectibles. For example, Nazi-era daggers are worth a few hundred dollars... but if you look both sides of the handle and see the eagle emblem, it is a fake. The backside was not emblemed, since it was in a sheath.

Holsters, there are a few people that will make a holster for you. Bring your cased gun, have it verified that it is unloaded when you enter, and stop by and talk with one of those guys. I've had custom holsters made via the internet, but might bring my SP-01 for a holster to fit the Tac-Block.

I was definitely gonna have my FID on me. Oh that's a bit dangerous about the long guns as I'm starting to ache for a 10/22 Takedown. I may accidentally bring more cash then I was intending LOL.

Look for Midwest Ammunition, great ammo and prices...and then come on over to the table right next to them and grab some BBQ sauce from yours truly...Bullets n BBQ, can't go wrong lol

I will definitely stop over man!

FYI if anyone who regularly comes to Oaks and is used to taking the turnpike to exit 6...Listen to the GPS and take 7A...otherwise you'll have to go to exit 5 tackin on an extra half hour to the trip cause Exit 6 is closed... Don't ask me how I know this lol.