302w

Land

Just a little food for thought for anyone considering buying land 'in the middle of nowhere...

I think the most important considerations these days buying land is access to water, and roads. Without water access, the property is worthless IMHO. It can be hideously expensive to pipe into the county water supply....and in some cases, not practical to do so.

Make sure there is road access to the property. I know a guy who had to cut and maintain his own roads off the state road, which ended 3/4 of a mile away from his property. Just to GET to his own property line. Not to mention his own internal roads. The land he purchased for cheap, ended up being pretty damn expensive per acre. There was a reason for that! Lol

The county road that runs to our place ends at our main gate. We maintain the internal roads (dirt roads) that were already established when we bought, using a tractor and a box blade.

Now that we have signed a drilling lease on the property, the oil company is responsible for maintaining the roads for us. Bonus!!

Like WP-22 pointed out above, well and septic is the way to go (and it's how I am equipped at the ranch). Our main water system uses a windmill for the pump, filling twin 500 gallon tanks. The water is gravity fed to the pumphouse in the barn, feeding a Red Jacket pump/pressure tank. This ensures we get good water pressure to the house.

In case of failure of the Red Jacket pump, we can run using the gravity feed only. Less pressure, but you can still take a shower, and flush toilets.

We have electrical lines run to the ranch, but these days, a good solar system can eliminate the worry about running power lines. Even better, a combo of solar/miniature wind turbine, plus a static inverter/battery system, one can be 'off the grid' if they wanted to be.

Lessens the worry, hassle, and expense of having to run power poles off the main lines to your house.

For those of you wondering about indoor plumbing..

I like indoor plumbing quite a bit. IF I were to buy land (it's a pipe dream to be honest) plumbing is a substantial investment. I'd be looking at 2-3 day stay tops. I could always add it later.

Plus, I spend 45 hours a week on a construction site. I'm used to it lol

Got any moose there? Lottery application is open right now. Fyi

Lots of sign -- A moose rub is a pretty impressive thing --  Starts about chin height and goes up 2 feet over my head

I have no interest in shooting one at this time 

Make sure there is road access to the property. I know a guy who had to cut and maintain his own roads off the state road, which ended 3/4 of a mile away from his property. Just to GET to his own property line. Not to mention his own internal roads. 

We have to do that here in NJ.   We live on a 2/10 mile lane, with town signage, on the town map, etc., etc.   Years ago, the town decided that our lane and a few others in the neighborhood would henceforth be private lanes, and they won't plow or maintain them, offer brush or leave pickup, etc.    Too much trouble or expense or something--it happened before we moved here.  So we're on our own for those basic services.   And we're NOT remote, the town hall, PD, FD, etc is just 3/10 mile away, in a solidly suburban area.   But we've had no luck fighting it.

We used to have a lane patching day every spring, but the pavement had degraded so much over the years that two years ago we were up to 4000 lbs/year of bagged patch mix just to fill the potholes.  So last year, the six homes on the lane finally agreed to have the whole lane re-paved, at our expense.   That's not cheap...

The town does manage to collect property taxes, at an obscenely high rate even by NJ standards, but that's about all they do.

Jus like deliverance. Lol

While I get that you're joking, the wife and I want to start looking at land in north west NC. I'd like some acres and privacy, but the thought crosses my mind that in some places northerners, and sometimes just anyone not from there, are outsiders and not welcome.

While I get that you're joking, the wife and I want to start looking at land in north west NC. I'd like some acres and privacy, but the thought crosses my mind that in some places northerners, and sometimes just anyone not from there, are outsiders and not welcome.

Having been born in Idaho, been enrolled in 26 different schools, let me give you some advice. Treat everyone as an equal human being you'll have no problems making friends.

You'll learn sumtin from someone everyday.

Don't act likea typical ahole from NJ and u should be fine. With that being said, my family is from WV. WEVE traveled all around the state and almost everyone is so friendly I thought I must look like someone they knew. BUT, once we got to the real deep sticks, those people will kill you instantly and not even think twice and I'm speaking from experience.

Don't act likea typical ahole from NJ and u should be fine. With that being said, my family is from WV. WEVE traveled all around the state and almost everyone is so friendly I thought I must look like someone they knew. BUT, once we got to the real deep sticks, those people will kill you instantly and not even think twice and I'm speaking from experience.

Carry extra mags!

I have no idea why you guys would pay $10000+ for a well to be dug for a place you might go to 3-4 times a year? My cabins plumbing is sufficient and only takes one more step. The only thing that sucks is bringing water up with me but 55 gallons last me the weekend.

Because it adds value to the land. Because it makes it a comfortable place to be. Because why the hell not?!

We have to do that here in NJ.   We live on a 2/10 mile lane, with town signage, on the town map, etc., etc.   Years ago, the town decided that our lane and a few others in the neighborhood would henceforth be private lanes, and they won't plow or maintain them, offer brush or leave pickup, etc.    Too much trouble or expense or something--it happened before we moved here.  So we're on our own for those basic services.   And we're NOT remote, the town hall, PD, FD, etc is just 3/10 mile away, in a solidly suburban area.   But we've had no luck fighting it.

We used to have a lane patching day every spring, but the pavement had degraded so much over the years that two years ago we were up to 4000 lbs/year of bagged patch mix just to fill the potholes.  So last year, the six homes on the lane finally agreed to have the whole lane re-paved, at our expense.   That's not cheap...

The town does manage to collect property taxes, at an obscenely high rate even by NJ standards, but that's about all they do.

OMG my town did the same thing to us one year. It's a 20x200' lane. They never ploughed it but picked up leaves in fall. Then stopped doing that and made us push the leaves to the curb. Then they made us bag the leaves, which is when I began calling a landscaping outfit. Fall cleanup went from about one day to nearly two days to ...??... I never did the bag thing, f__k the bastards. I'm guessing another couple of hours. Since I work for myself it was easy to outsource. 

I have no idea why you guys would pay $10000+ for a well to be dug for a place you might go to 3-4 times a year? My cabins plumbing is sufficient and only takes one more step. The only thing that sucks is bringing water up with me but 55 gallons last me the weekend. 

Not much experience with real estate I take it. If you put in a $10,000 kitchen you're lucky to recoup 25% on the resale. Nice floors, new roof, a buyer will figure the place is supposed to have a roof and floors already. Plumbing and a reliable water supply are another story. I'm surprised you have enough money to buy a shack and you don't know that. There are plenty of places that are "wild" but where you don't have to live like a cave man. Unless that's what you like. 

Oh and btw, when I was looking for a spot I want NO amenities. Just so happened my property already had electric. The reason they call it the great outdoors is because your supposed to OUTSIDE with nature. It's obvious to me that today's creature comforts have made most of you soft.

Bahahaha, come work a day on my ranch, I'll show you soft.

You'll be thankful for a hot shower after a full day working the ranch.

Oh and btw, when I was looking for a spot I want NO amenities. Just so happened my property already had electric. The reason they call it the great outdoors is because your supposed to OUTSIDE with nature. It's obvious to me that today's creature comforts have made most of you soft.

See, if I were looking for a place to go to 4 or 5 times a year, something like you have would do. But no, that's not what I want. When I buy my place is to live full time.

Soft, really? My post above about outhouses, lack of indoor plumbing was how I grew up. BTDT. Don't need to, don't want to go back to that again.

See, if I were looking for a place to go to 4 or 5 times a year, something like you have would do. But no, that's not what I want. When I buy my place is to live full time.

Soft, really? My post above about outhouses, lack of indoor plumbing was how I grew up. BTDT. Don't need to, don't want to go back to that again.

OK here's a question for you, Mr. Hard-as-Nails. If you're only going to this Shangri-La a few times a year why are you buying it? Why pay the taxes, down payment, mortgage, even if it only amounted to 1500 a year, when you can rent a shack for next to nothing, go whenever you like, and not have to worry about it turning into a meth lab or rodent nest?

Same question to anyone else who buys a second home that they rarely inhabit.

OK here's a question for you, Mr. Hard-as-Nails. If you're only going to this Shangri-La a few times a year why are you buying it? Why pay the taxes, down payment, mortgage, even if it only amounted to 1500 a year, when you can rent a shack for next to nothing, go whenever you like, and not have to worry about it turning into a meth lab or rodent nest?

I got the impression that he wanted to have a bug out location that he could use once in awhile.  

I got the impression that he wanted to have a bug out location that he could use once in awhile.  

You know what I think about bug out locations?

Actually I thought he was one of those guys who pops in, says something weird, takes some abuse, and disappears. Remember the guy whose girlfriend was scared to death of guns but wanted one? The "cop" from Sayreville? The guy who wanted to build an out house with a cement roof? 

Who said I wanted a place for a few times a year? I said exactly the opposite. When I get my place is to live full time. That's why, like I said above on another post, well and septic is a must.

Not a bugout place, the gov. isn't reading my mind thru the house wiring, TEOTWAWK, blah, blah.  I just would like to have a place large enough and  far enough from the neighbors that I can shoot out of my back porch. Is that to out of the ordinary?

And that was in reply to panteramatt that said he roughs it 4-5 times a year in his cabin. If I were to rough it 4-5 times a year like pantermtt does, indoor plumbing wouldn't be so crucial.

And listen, growing up the way I did a nothing to do with being though as nails. Neither my parents were hippies and we lived in a commune. It's just how most of us lived in that time and place. It was normal. Is that controversial too? And subject to mockery? Please allow for the fact that our backgrounds may be all the same.

I see your thought on this and agree to a point. I pay $500 year and I own it. Thats only a few trips to a nice campground and that $ is gone. I like working on the property, taking friends and family up there, and chilling with the locals. To me it makes living in NJ not too aweful because I know i have an escape. Now I do wish I had bought the property in Pa and a couple hours closer for a place to retire. Hell I might just sell it and do it all over again. 

If we have to go by just finances, most of us who bought a house have been sucked into biggest scam ever.  Renting is cheaper (generally) than mortgage + maintenance + ridiculous taxes (specially NJ). 

But there is more to it than just finances. Some of us value the feeling of ownership, however imagined that may be, more than others.  To each his/her own. 

And who want to derail this thread into "Can I legally take my firearms to a temporary rental cabin to blow some steam in the back" ?