Deciding on a striker 9

Trying to figure out which striker 9mm to get. I'm narrowed to 3

G19- tested and proven. I also carry Glock's

Sig p320- little better trigger, army just adopted over glock and I love digs

Hk vp9- great reviews, I don't own an hk yet

Opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All three mentioned are the 3 most popular ones, and all are excellent choices. I would recommend renting them to shoot from Garden State shooting center or Woodland Park Range and see what you like. I would also suggest checking out the Walther 9mm lineup as well.

G19, best all around 9mm made IMO. That's based on 50 years of shooting, over 40 years of training shooters, 30 years of shooting Glocks and about 25 years of carrying them on a regular basis.

If any other pistol had a reputation for reliability and durability like Glock you would have heard about it.

Everyone should have a G19 IMO.

• Like 2

GRIZ, that was true 10 years ago. But it's 2017, and there are plenty of options that are just as reliable. Some are even cheaper, come with better options and have much better ergonomics. But, it's still an excellent option.

• Like 1

GRIZ, that was true 10 years ago. But it's 2017, and there are plenty of options that are just as reliable. Some are even cheaper, come with better options and have much better ergonomics. But, it's still an excellent option.

Reputation comes with time and exposure.
  • Like 1

Me and a friend purchased (new) 9's  around the same time in 2015. He purchased the Hk vp9 and I went for the Sig P320. Neither of us are glock fans. I’ve shot his HK and he shot my P320 and I’m sure he prefers his HK over the Sig and I prefer my Sig over his HK but both are finely made firearms. 

The only knock I had on the P320 is the factory trigger. If you go for P320 take a look at the Apex Tactical trigger upgrade. They make a  drop-in trigger that takes < 10 minutes to install. The trigger doesn’t change the pull, it only improves the ergonomics. I think you’ll like Apex trigger if you opt for the Sig 

You can't really go wrong with any of those options, but I will say that I absolutely love my VP9 LE. It just felt right as soon as I picked it up, and it shoots great. I find shooting the VP9 to be a more enjoyable experience than the Glock 19 due to the much better ergonomics.

I have the glock, but really like the VP9, just fits me better, heard the Walther PPQ M2 is very similar to the VP9 but with a better trigger
Haven't tried it yet.

I haven't shot the PPQ, but I did hold it prior to buying my VP9. I preferred the feel of the VP9 (obviously) and the P320 over the Walther. I also wasn't impressed with the plastic sights on the Walther (sure, you can swap them out, but it is easier if the gun comes with sights you like).

I agree, Glock has been in the game for a long time and that alone probably puts them over the top for many shooters. But many other shooters prefer a gun with real sights, or a trigger that isn't crunchy, or the ergonomics of a smart phone. So they go with the other plethora of 9mm, striker-fired options out there.

• Like 2

Ray, many of these guns haven't been around as long as Glock and none have the broad acceptance as Glock with LE and the military. S&W was dropped from consideration by the Army. SIG won the Army contract not because it was the only one to pass the testing. It won because it passed the testing and was the lowest bidder. There is still talk of Special Operations Command buying Glock 19s. Ergonomics is totally a subjective thing. Too much is put into "how a gun feels" IMO. The fact is if a gun has a grip like a 2x4 and you want to learn how to shoot it well, you will.

Just because something is old doesn't remove it from being a good weapon. Glocks are youngsters compared to a S&W Model 10 or a 1911. I don't feel underarmed with either of those.

• Like 2

GRIZ, you really can't count on government contacts because you know as well as I do that's it's all about $$$. Like I said, Glocks are a great OPTION. But, there are others as well. Put the others in your hands and see what you like. And we all know that the OP will probably end up buying at least 2 of the guns in this category.

• Like 2

Ray, many of these guns haven't been around as long as Glock and none have the broad acceptance as Glock with LE and the military. S&W was dropped from consideration by the Army. SIG won the Army contract not because it was the only one to pass the testing. It won because it passed the testing and was the lowest bidder. There is still talk of Special Operations Command buying Glock 19s. Ergonomics is totally a subjective thing. Too much is put into "how a gun feels" IMO. The fact is if a gun has a grip like a 2x4 and you want to learn how to shoot it well, you will.

Just because something is old doesn't remove it from being a good weapon. Glocks are youngsters compared to a S&W Model 10 or a 1911. I don't feel underarmed with either of those.

Jus because something is new doesn't default it bad either.

As far as gov contracts, that is a different breed of cat. More backroom vs the best

• Like 1

GRIZ, you really can't count on government contacts because you know as well as I do that's it's all about $$$. Like I said, Glocks are a great OPTION. But, there are others as well. Put the others in your hands and see what you like. And we all know that the OP will probably end up buying at least 2 of the guns in this category.

Ray, the OP asked for opinions. My opinion is based on my experience. I started shooting for social purposes about 50 years ago. Way before a lot of people on this forum were born. Just because I'm old doesn't mean all the stuff I learned is now useless. It doesn't mean that I don't try new guns. I've probably fired more different guns than most here. I have never considered "how a gun feels in your hand" as a decisive criteria in evaluating a gun. Yes, some guns "feel" better than others. But I've never picked a gun based on feel.

My opinion on Glocks is based on my over 25 years experience with them. The last 10 years on the job my agency issued Glock 17s, 19s, and 26s. I was the chief instructor for my office. A couple of hundred Glocks firing a couple of million rounds in that time. I can count the number of malfunctions on my fingers in that time. 2 were because of improper cleaning and the rest were about evenly split between bad magazines or bad ammo. How many parts were replaced on Glocks in that time? Exactly...one. A recoil spring assembly on a 26. The guide rod broke because it was being assembled incorrectly. The last few years we merged with INS and they brought their H&Ks and Beretta with them. Good guns? Yes, but much more problematic than the Glocks. If I had the same experiences with another type of gun I would feel the same way I do about Glocks. I know what has worked for me.

No I don't own only Glocks. I like Berettas, Rugers, S&W gen 1,2, and 3, Taurus, some Walthers, and others. I think the S&W BG 380 is the best little 380. I like Ford trucks, bourbon and Canadian whiskey. I think SIGs and H&Ks are overpriced IMO and don't like scotch. I've got no use for the 40 S&W, and 99% of the people who buy anything over a 357 in a revolver or 45 in a semiauto have no real "use" for it. I'm not immune to that. I do own a 44 magnum.

I can give you reasons for all my likes and dislikes. The only one that counts here is my opinion of Glocks.

Jus because something is new doesn't default it bad either.

As far as gov contracts, that is a different breed of cat. More backroom vs the best

Zeke, I never implied that new makes it bad. I'm not a Luddite. However the last few years are new. All those other years are old. Probability is they made more good things in all those old years than in the few new years.

I worked for the government on all levels since I was 17. Well aware of how contracts work. The Carter Administration bailed out Chrysler. To ensure the Feds kept their money the military adopted the 880 series of trucks made by Chrysler. The Reagan Administration bought about half the cars for all Federal agencies from Chrysler. The K car became the standard motor pool car for the Feds. SIG won the handgun competition in the 80s but Beretta got the contract.

• Like 1

When Glocks came out, the same argument was being made about them with the duty revolvers at the time. It's plastic, it has no safety, semi autos are not reliable, Yada Yada Yada. Well, we are again with that argument and guess what? They guys "in the know" where wrong before.

Thanks for the debate GRIZ, and I too find zero use for 40S&W and anything over 357 magnum.

When Glocks came out, the same argument was being made about them with the duty revolvers at the time. It's plastic, it has no safety, semi autos are not reliable, Yada Yada Yada. Well, we are again with that argument and guess what? They guys "in the know" where wrong before.

Thanks for the debate GRIZ, and I too find zero use for 40S&W and anything over 357 magnum.

The old guys, Griz and I agree with you Puppy. I carry a 9 because I don't shoot a 40 well and shoot a 9 well.

Controlling my point of impact is more important than a little more power.

Welcome back Puppy.

I like Glocks when they made their appearance. I didn't like the trigger but that's becauss I didn't know how to use it. ATF categorized it as DA as there were no striker fired guns of its type on the market. I soon learn to shoot it as a heavy SA.

My issue with the 40 is it was more a marketing ploy by S&W than an advancement in technology. S&W took the ballistics of the downloaded FBI 10mm load and replicated it in a shorter case so they could make it in their 9mm frames and slides reducing production costs. Not that much better than a 9 and no better than a 45.

• Like 1

I know the history of the 40S&W, but let's stay on topic old men. JK

Glocks are still the industry standard, so they will always be "on someones list" and rightly so. I just like my striker fired guns with better sights and triggers.

I like Glocks when they made their appearance. I didn't like the trigger but that's becauss I didn't know how to use it. ATF categorized it as DA as there were no striker fired guns of its type on the market. I soon learn to shoot it as a heavy SA.

My issue with the 40 is it was more a marketing ploy by S&W than an advancement in technology. S&W took the ballistics of the downloaded FBI 10mm load and replicated it in a shorter case so they could make it in their 9mm frames and slides reducing production costs. Not that much better than a 9 and no better than a 45.

My understanding was S&W developed the 40S&W because the Feds were too recoil sensitive to the 10mm.

And I find the 40 too snappy for a comfortably controlled second shot.

But to stay on topic...I carry a G19 (when not a PM9) I like it.

I'm the same vein as Griz's comments.  I can shoot anything in a pinch. It's just what you prefer.

Cost, "reliability". parts availability, It's GLOCK for me.

I've had them so full of crap that I was disassembling and cleaning mags.

When I got home I was embarrassed that they were as bad inside. Detail stripped washed in the sink with soap and hot water.

Good as new and it never missed a beat when that flthy

I think SIGs and H&Ks are overpriced IMO and don't like scotch.

It all depends on how you look at it. The hammer HKs and Sigs, I agree on them being a bit much, but the VP9 and P320 aren't too bad. Almost no one that I've seen has them selling for MSRP. For about what it would cost to buy a Glock 19, new trigger, new sights, and modify the grip to be more comfortable in my hand, you're right there at the cost of a VP9 without any fuss.

With that said, there's a good chance that my next pistol will be a Glock "project gun" so...lol