Persona non grata

NJ AR prices

Hi all. I'm starting to look at ARs but I'm a bit surprised at some of the prices I've seen. A few shops I've visited seem to have their ARs right around MSRP. For example, a local shop has a Daniel Defense M4V7 for $1599.99, when MSRP is $1679. Another shop had a M&P 15 Optic Ready for $999, when MSRP is $1069. Obviously, they're not gauging, but I figured there'd be a little more room to deal with.

I guess I'd like to know what's considered normal and am I expecting too much? I seem to remember seeing handguns marked down more than the ARs are.

Before someone chimes in with "build it" that is on the table, but I want to get a good baseline on pre-built rifle prices before I go pricing out parts.

Welcome to the world of retail pricing. Buy online and have it shipped to the ffl. You'll save hundreds per transaction. Only real issue is finding NJ compliant models online. As an alternative, if your ffl does compliance work you can buy whatever you want with the understanding that your price savings will be impacted by the cost of the compliance work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Now that you mention it, most of the models I've been looking at are not natively NJ compliant (as far as I know) so I guess the dealers are simply passing on the cost of NJ compliance. Maybe I should look into what my local shops charge for muzzle brake welding and stock pinning.

You can be all in for under $700 with S&W Sport or a Ruger factory compliant AR's.

True, but I know myself, and I can already tell that if I got a baseline model, I'd be spending hundreds over the coming months in modifications and upgrades.

True, but I know myself, and I can already tell that if I got a baseline model, I'd be spending hundreds over the coming months in modifications and upgrades.

Also Stag and Windham have compliant models. Buy low, build high. No sense buying a non compliant model, spending to neuter it then building up again. Or build from parts. Figure what your end game is then work from there.

From what I've shot and held, my ideal rifle would have a mid length gas system with a low profile gas block. I also like a longer forward rail, which allows me to grip longer down the barrel.

I don't care about mounting much more than sights and maybe a red dot at some point, so quad rails with Mlock, Keymod, etc is lost on me, but most of the rifles I've looked at come with the ability anyway.

I saw a Special Ops Tactical (guy from Spike's Tactical went out on his own) model for $12xx that felt great in my hands, fit and finish were great, had everything I want, and specs appear really good, but I'd never heard of them until seeing it. I also haven't seen many reviews. I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm not so sure about being a test dummy for $1000+.

True that.  I too believe unless we kick Murphy to the curb we are destined to loose just about all semi autos including the 22s.  We will be the "safest" state in the nation, NOT.  Even $700 for a rifle that will be banned in 10 months is a lot.  Choose wisely.  ARs are dropping in price everywhere in "free" America, only NJ residents will be taking in the shorts.

If you must have one, get a low end M&P or Ruger for now, see what happens, then MOVE! and build the gun of your dreams.

I see no sense in paying extra for a non-compliant AR and then spending hundreds more to make it compliant. In the process you are paying for features you will pay to have removed.

Purpose dictates how much you spend. If you're a special operator, going to war, or on a SWAT team it might be in your best interests to buy top of the line. You say if you buy a $700 AR you'd be spending hundreds in mods and upgrades. If you want upgrades just buy an AR with those upgrades already in it. Do you need a bolt carrier capable of sustained full auto fire? Are you going to be firing 1000 rounds a week for practice? Do you really think you need to add a muzzle brake? Thats maybe $200 you could use for ammo to make you a better shooter. Spend $200 then complain how loud it is as others have done. Mods are often done but once again what are you going to use the rifle for? I've seen guys shooting ARs in 3 gun with so much crap hanging off it I would never take to combat. On the other hand, if putting all kinds of stuff on your gun floats your boat, have at it. Most people's needs can be met with a $700 AR.

You can build an AR easily. I can understand one having a sense of pride in saying "I built this". Keep in mind though after you spend a lot for custom components if it breaks you're on your own. If you buy a $700 S&W AR they will fix it free forever.

If you fear what NJ may do in 10 months just sell all your guns and then yiu'll be ahead of the rush many seem to be predicting. No guns, no gun worries.

• Like 1

All I'll say is that 1) Trump didn't campaign here. At all. Things might have been different if he had a rally or three and 2) we have a pretty rich history of electing Republican governors. The last dem guys we had ended in complete disaster (corzine and mcgreevy) and this Murphy clown seems like a carbon copy of corzine

Back on the topic of pricing, you'll find most places that do compliance work are pretty reasonable. I've seen $75-150, more or less depending whether you bring your own muzzle brake

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Wow, this thread certainly took a turn. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't expect more than $50-$75 off MSRP when dealing with off-the-shelf rifles, especially ones that aren't NJ compliant from the factory.

Also Stag and Windham have compliant models. Buy low, build high. No sense buying a non compliant model, spending to neuter it then building up again. Or build from parts. Figure what your end game is then work from there.

Judging by Windham's website, they start at over $1000 for their baseline NJ compliant model. That seems a bit much for a "baseline" rifle, IMO. I feel that I'd be better off getting an entry level M&P Sport and swapping out furniture. That wouldn't get me exactly what I want, but would be closer for less money.

But do you need a muzzle brake on a 5.56? A 5.56 is pretty soft shooting caliber. It can have benefits in some cases but a brake on a 5.56 is pretty much a waste of money AFAIC.

From my perspective, a muzzle brake isn't needed. I just figure that most non-NJ compliant guns have threads for a flash suppressor, so would need a brake welded on.

Judging by Windham's website, they start at over $1000 for their baseline NJ compliant model. 

Actually they retail right around $900 +/-.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/82708-windham-weaponry-ww-15-mpc-ar15-type-223556-rifle-nib/?hl=windham  

This is consistent with what I paid for my compliant SRC back in September.

I've bought guns online and out of state, and have had them made NJ compliant before shipping to my dealer. The problem I had is paying a transfer fee twice. I had an RPK that only needed the muzzle brake, so I had to pay to have it shipped and transferred to a gunsmith, pay for the gunsmithing, then pay to have it sent to my dealer and pay for the transfer to me. Plus you have to find a gunsmith that will do the transfer and gunsmithing at a reasonable cost.

Unless your dealer will do the compliance work, it's a lot of hassle. I've had some vendors cut off bayonet lugs but stopped doing it because they aren't a gunsmith, and don't want to alter a firearm then have the buyer (you) complain after being shipped to your dealer.

Most sell enough firearms to free states, that they don't want to cater to NJ (even though they had previously for CA).

For an AR in NJ, either build one, or find one that is already NJ compliant.

Living in NJ and you never know how the laws are going to change, buy once and cry once. Whatever you own, may one day be the only firearms you are stuck with. I remember when the only thing we could own legally here (semi-auto) was an SKS and Ruger Mini 14. Then we got the Colt Match Target and the M1A back.

I go to a gun store that has NJ compliant SCAR 16's and 17's, Daniel Defense and LWRC AR's, CZ BREN 805's, IWI X95's, etc. Plenty of higher end gun to choose from and not the typical cheap stuff most gun stores carry. They do their own compliance work, and don't add the cheapest muzzle brakes they can find either. I'll continue to give them my business and don't worry about minor price differences, since I'm behind enemy lines living here.

As for the NJ SAFE ACT ever coming here, I've been through enough with the draconian gun laws here in my lifetime. If I bought it legal, I'm keeping it. All these gun laws are, is death by 1000 cuts. As soon as I get a chance to leave this communist state (in the near future) I'll be moving to a free state.

• Like 1

I was looking for about 4 months for an AR that was NJ compliant and for what was out there it seemed the prices were on the high side and the selection was pretty slim. I am in the middle of building my own. I wanted the floating rail along the lines of an A4 model but most out there were A2. The other bug a boo is the "fixed stock" requirement NJ has and most retailers are selling AR's with adjustable stocks. I know that they are the hottest item out there but what is the point of an adjustable stock if I have to pin it. I bought a decent Magpul Fixed Stock that didn't break the bank and looks good. I figure if I ever move out of this gestapo state I can always upgrade.

I decided to build my own, All in for everything I wanted on my AR was about $1000. since this is my first AR I felt building it also helps me understand the rifle a bit more. 

The only thing I will need to do is have my muzzle break pinned and welded. Anyone know of a decent Gun Smith in the South Jersey area that does this?

I was looking for about 4 months for an AR that was NJ compliant and for what was out there it seemed the prices were on the high side and the selection was pretty slim. I am in the middle of building my own. I wanted the floating rail along the lines of an A4 model but most out there were A2. The other bug a boo is the "fixed stock" requirement NJ has and most retailers are selling AR's with adjustable stocks. I know that they are the hottest item out there but what is the point of an adjustable stock if I have to pin it. I bought a decent Magpul Fixed Stock that didn't break the bank and looks good. I figure if I ever move out of this gestapo state I can always upgrade.

I decided to build my own, All in for everything I wanted on my AR was about $1000. since this is my first AR I felt building it also helps me understand the rifle a bit more. 

The only thing I will need to do is have my muzzle break pinned and welded. Anyone know of a decent Gun Smith in the South Jersey area that does this?

If you place the pin in the stock right you can drill holes at each notch, then just push the pin out to reposition.  For the muzzle device, drill a 1/8" hole and tap in a $0.45 1/8" roll pin from Lowes.  File/grind down the excess and put a tack weld on it.  The only thing you have to watch for is drilling through the barrel, as long as you go 1/6 to 1/8" deep you should be fine.

Also, I've been using a Special Ops Tactical lower with zero issues, looks like a rebranded Spikes.

I've sent numerous firearms to Adco Firearms for a pin and weld. They do professional work and isn't that expensive. I just had them recently swap out a muzzle brake on my X95.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk