Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Road rage again...

If you hear about it on the news, you saw it here first!

I didn't hear about it, so nothing probably came of it...that Mercedes driver was PISSED...and gesticulating wildly.  You can't see it from the Dash Cam footage though.

They both slowed way down and I lost them back in traffic.  The Mercedes guy wanted to scrap!

I watched two livery drivers swerve at each other on 78 east Monday morning. I'm unsure of what started it, but they kept cutting each other off. I was awaiting a smash.

A friend at work saw almost exactly that last summer and has since started running  a dash cam. It was a livery driver and just some guy.  In the 25 years I've been commuting in NJ traffic, I've seen 3 massive accidents in front of me.  I'm due for another.

That merge is awful.  I live just down the road from it and travel it pretty frequently.  It sucks.

If people just get over instead of running up to the last moment, it wouldn't be so bad but you've always got a bunch of dipshits that think they deserve not to wait.    I have to do that merge every night on the way home from work and I've found getting all the way over is faster anyway.

When the toyota or whatever that is sees the mercedes the 2nd time already in the lane then decides to say "eff it" and pulls over anyway pushing him into the breakdown lane, I'm sure that guy's head was about to explode.  He was pissed for having that car pull 3 inches in front of him...now to force him off the road?   Too bad he wasn't in a POS $200 car and could have just let it happen. heh.

• Like 1

If people just get over instead of running up to the last moment, it wouldn't be so bad but you've always got a bunch of dipshits that think they deserve not to wait.    I have to do that merge every night on the way home from work and I've found getting all the way over is faster anyway.

When the toyota or whatever that is sees the mercedes the 2nd time already in the lane then decides to say "eff it" and pulls over anyway pushing him into the breakdown lane, I'm sure that guy's head was about to explode.  He was pissed for having that car pull 3 inches in front of him...now to force him off the road?   Too bad he wasn't in a POS $200 car and could have just let it happen. heh.

I actually saw a study where they determined that it is actually better for traffic flow if people wait until the last possible minute to merge.  I can't remember the details, but I suppose having more traffic lanes for as long as possible.  They were talking about putting up signs to encourage people to do this.

I was in Kuwait recently, and the driving is insane.  People are constantly cutting you off--just like in the video.  In fact that video is pretty courteous by Kuwait standards!  They never signal, they make left turns from the right lane--cutting across lanes of non-turning traffic, and they will go off road, into medians etc. to get ahead.  The surprising thing was I saw absolutely no road rage.  No one gets pissed off, it is nothing personal, we're just driving.

I got PO'd at first, but after a day or two you get used to it and it is not a big deal.

But I really had to consciously focus on my driving the first few days back in the states.

So if someone does something stupid here, I contain my anger and back off.  No sense having an accident, or a roadside fight with someone who might be crazy.

This is the study that says it is better to merge like a douchebag rather than merging early--at least for traffic flow.  It may not be as safe, especially when you factor in road ragers.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/05/the-zipper-merge-convincing-motorists-isnt-a-snap/

Instead, states that ask motorists to use the zipper method want all available roadway used up to the merge point. The zipper is not intended to be used when traffic is flowing briskly, with ample distance between vehicles to move over earlier without causing a slowdown. But when traffic is slow moving, using both lanes and taking turns one car at a time from each lane has proved effective. MnDOT says by creating two full lanes of traffic, the speed difference between the lanes is reduced. When everyone is equally "disadvantaged," incidents of road rage and other bad behavior — like playing "lane cop" and driving in the center to prevent passing — are fewer. Signs instructing motorists to use both lanes up to the merge point help take the pressure off people who fear scorn or retribution.

I too frequent that merge, almost always you'll see stupid, crazy or death defying manuevers. Every now and then you see a few cars still duking it out down 208 a ways. Its funny tho sometimes I"ll eventually pass a car that was involved in a contest and instead of some phsyco looking dude its a little old man or Asian lady who was just apparently oblivious to their surroundings :/

Thats where a big, rusty mudder comes in handy.  G'head and swipe me son, the damage will be all yours.

Once in a while,I need to cross the GW Bridge to and from points north.  The NY drivers think nothing of nosing right in front of you with an inch to spare when they change lanes to get all of 7 feet closer to the Bronx.  What a zoo up there.

Few nights ago I was on 206 where 2 lanes had just merged into one. I was behind someone in the fast lane, and some dumbass comes up from behind me on the shoulder and tried to merge ahead of me, despite it already being a single lane. When I didn't let them, they tried to for a few more seconds before getting behind me and resorting to tailgating, brights, and holding down the horn.

Now, knowing this section of 206, I know cops often sit at the bottom of the hill...guess who was too distracted by tailgating, holding his brights, and honking and failed to see the cop...

Lets just say my new friend's night didn't get any better... ;):D

• Like 1

I actually saw a study where they determined that it is actually better for traffic flow if people wait until the last possible minute to merge. I can't remember the details, but I suppose having more traffic lanes for as long as possible. They were talking about putting up signs to encourage people to do this.

I was in Kuwait recently, and the driving is insane. People are constantly cutting you off--just like in the video. In fact that video is pretty courteous by Kuwait standards! They never signal, they make left turns from the right lane--cutting across lanes of non-turning traffic, and they will go off road, into medians etc. to get ahead. The surprising thing was I saw absolutely no road rage. No one gets pissed off, it is nothing personal, we're just driving.

I got PO'd at first, but after a day or two you get used to it and it is not a big deal.

But I really had to consciously focus on my driving the first few days back in the states.

So if someone does something stupid here, I contain my anger and back off. No sense having an accident, or a roadside fight with someone who might be crazy.

Speaking of which, watch your kids when they get home from the service or deployment. We did a lot of studies after WWII and found a ridiculous likelihood of auto accident death that was not tide to any discernible military activity. These risks have more or less held to this day.

Speaking of which, POWs have additional health risks, and it's not what you think. Talk to an expert if you know one.

These two things are almost never discussed.

I bought a jeep with really big tires which also are Kevlar walled, and full steel bumpers for a reason. I also run a dash cam. Last person that pulled that on me wound up destroying their car, and when they got caught in a lie with the cops, it went south for them real fast. Damage to jeep... Zero... I just spray painted over some minor paint scratches in the bumper, which was spray painted to begin with...

This purchase was prompted by some asshole that ran me off the road who felt the need to cross the double line when traffic was going too slow for him in a snow storm. I now drive a mini tank because driving in anything less in NJ may result in death.

I bought a jeep with really big tires which also are Kevlar walled, and full steel bumpers for a reason. I also run a dash cam. Last person that pulled that on me wound up destroying their car, and when they got caught in a lie with the cops, it went south for them real fast. Damage to jeep... Zero... I just spray painted over some minor paint scratches in the bumper, which was spray painted to begin with...

This purchase was prompted by some asshole that ran me off the road who felt the need to cross the double line when traffic was going too slow for him in a snow storm. I now drive a mini tank because driving in anything less in NJ may result in death.

I need one of those.

Does the existence of your dash cam temper your response or were you always a cool headed driver?

I can get heated, but for the most part, I don't react to "danger", at least not in the sense of losing my cool.  I get seriously analytical and focused when I see stuff going off the rails.  I worked in the oil field and have been around a lot of heavy equipment doing stuff that will kill people if a mistake is made and I learned a lot from the men who were doing the real work.   As an example, I saw a 2000psi well head blow the cap and was literally vibrating and eroding itself apart and my step dad walked over to it and calmly shut the main valve with a 36" pipe wrench.     The sound was deafening and I was in the truck with ear protection on probably 75 yards away.    Any spark would could have created a fireball that would have been seen for miles.  The gas pressure far exceeded any of the pipe pressure ratings and it could have just all come apart.  If he could do that, the least I can do is not panic.   Growing up on a farm also leads to doing dangerous stuff too, so I guess I'm lucky I was one of the little turtles that made it to the ocean.

glass jaw = cool headed drivers!     :tommy:

When I got hit in the face with a ceramic mug full of beer, I dropped like a sack of potatoes, so you're right.   The guy stitching my face back together advised me to stop using my face to catch 2x4s.