Taipan

Shongum, 100 yd status

Well they built a big airplane wing to cover the shooting area and the aeronautical engineer who designed it thought they could hold a wing down with thin galvanized brackets.  Mother nature proved them wrong.  The entire structure collapsed and is sitting on top of the concrete pad now.  My understanding is the architect is working with his E&O insurance company to get this resolved.  Don't have any idea on ETA for repair.

33066523806_a444e5c708_c.jpg

32951888532_f14198c64d_b.jpg

Well 

Thanks for the info.    You'd think they could just haul the damn thing away and open up the range again.

I am guessing they can't do that until inspectors and insurance people come out and check it out.  But I would think they could just have you shoot from the grass 5 yards in front of it.  Good thing I shoot mostly pistols and don't really care about it that much :)

What's funny about this is when it was finished last November I was out with a friend in barn construction and we swung by to see the it.  He mentioned to me that he would never have built it that way, didn't understand him at that moment, guess I do now!

• Like 1

Can this be seen from the road?  Can't help but feel I've seen this, while working.  Area has lot of hills, think it was around paterson ./ parsippany.   

You got the hills part right, but it can't be seen from the road. Nearest town of any consequence is Hackettstown.

Adios.

Pizza Bob

Thanks pizza bob, thats what I remember most about the area.  It boggles me, why take the time to dig an pour the footers only to not fully utilize them.  

Most likely the 6x6's were delivered late, instead of losing the footer. They settled for anchoring in braces. :)  

Thanks pizza bob, thats what I remember most about the area. It boggles me, why take the time to dig an pour the footers only to not fully utilize them.

Most likely the 6x6's were delivered late, instead of losing the footer. They settled for anchoring in braces. :)

They can be used for a deck post, but the rest of the deck is bolted to the building. Not the case with this free standing roof. That's a lot of weight with all those shingles up there.

They can be used for a deck post, but the rest of the deck is bolted to the building. Not the case with this free standing roof. That's a lot of weight with all those shingles up there.

And drag.

Problem with sinking/ embedding in concrete is rot. Idc what pressure treated you use. It will rot. Eventually

But, nothing lasts forever, and sometimes you need to plan a lifespan.

It appears to me, this structure racked and fell over. You can shear an embedded 6x6 but that is extremely muscle

And drag.

Problem with sinking/ embedding in concrete is rot. Idc what pressure treated you use. It will rot. Eventually

But, nothing lasts forever, and sometimes you need to plan a lifespan.

It appears to me, this structure racked and fell over. You can shear an embedded 6x6 but that is extremely muscle

I would never sink wood into concrete unless it was a mailbox. That structure should have had block walls on the ends, or pored concrete pillars with rebar, or metal columns. Poor design in my opinion.

It's cheap to kill people lol. Luckily no one was under that death trap when it blew over.

Hey,Built to drawing, passed inspection. The buck gets passed down the road. Yes , thankfully no one got hurt.

The guys that draw get paid the big bucks.....

Hey,Built to drawing, passed inspection. The buck gets passed down the road. Yes , thankfully no one got hurt.

The guys that draw get paid the big bucks.....

It's guys that draw like this guy did, that insurance for architects and mechanical engineers is as expensive as it is. If they guys building it followed the plans, it's on the guy that drew it.