blksheep

Baba Yaga (John Wick)

In the first one his slide never locks back on his empty mags. For as realistic they make the gun fights in that movie I wonder why they did that.

Go ahead a watch it in slow mo. And it's not necessarily tactical reloads. There were times he went click and saw nothing happens so he reloads.

I'm not crazy enough to have counted the rounds fired

There was some making of the movie clips on YouTube. In all the gunfight scenes no one is actually firing anything, not even blanks, they just point at each other and try to fake recoil. They add the flash and bang in later with the special effects, you probaby noticed there was no brass in most scenes too.

love love this movie and the one before it. however, a small question on the technical merit. i know he did all the training and they wanted to make it as realistic as possible. BUT...in these technical training classes, do they teach you to do press checks so much? holy cow. there must have been 50 press checks at least in JW2

Baba is used in a variety of languages from entirely different cultures to refer to man. Arabic, Indian, Asian, etc. Here are examples specific to the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogeyman

Unfortunately they fell short on Hindi, because Baba is more commonly used for the Sack Man and they did not mention that.

Let us not forget also Ali Baba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_and_40_Thieves

That's great, except the bad guy who called him that was Russian not Arabic, Asian or Indian. He wasn't speaking Hindi or Mandarin. He was speaking Russian, and in Russian "baba" is a woman.

• Like 1

Ok finally saw it and it was great.  However, this long thread and no mention of the move from HK to Glock when dealing with the Somlier?  34 and 26?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Ok finally saw it and it was great.  However, this long thread and no mention of the move from HK to Glock when dealing with the Somlier?  34 and 26?  

Taran does not work on HK. :) 

i am sure part of deal of training with Taran was using guns modified by him. Killer product placement. 

For me, at least from the gun perspective, HK (JW1) and 1911s from ala Hitman Agent 47.... scream classy. 

Nothing wrong with Glock though for movies, and non gun teenie boppers would of herd of Glock but not HK. 

As far as Russian, Baba Yaga is an old witch who takes bad kids. There is NO boogie man in Russian culture.  It is 100% woman. 

Boogy man is just wrong and like Calling Jesus .... Mohamed or Shiva. 

In any case as nick pointed out, JW is not Baba Yaga but the guy who kills her. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maksim said:

i am sure part of deal of training with Taran was using guns modified by him. Killer product placement. 

For me, at least from the gun perspective, HK (JW1) and 1911s from ala Hitman Agent 47.... scream classy. 

Nothing wrong with Glock though for movies, and non gun teenie boppers would of herd of Glock but not HK. 

As far as Russian, Baba Yaga is an old witch who takes bad kids. There is NO boogie man in Russian culture.  It is 100% woman. 

Best product placement ever.  Glock 34 and 26, really discussing the model numbers?  Benelli M4?  This was great. :)

13 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

I noticed the VP9 as well, good eye sir.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I noticed the VP9 as well, good eye sir.

Was it s VP?  Original movie was a P30. I'll watch it again, and again.  

So the first movie is on FX a lot.  If you play it in slo mo it appears the fake firing is in extreme close up moves.  That seems right you don't want blanks firing 6 inches from a head.  

Any shots that are long distance or if the camera man is not a foot away look like real gun operation.    So I'm back to thumbs up on Keanu and the effort on reality.  

On 5/29/2017 at 6:40 PM, Maksim said:

Thank you! Last night MrsZ asked me what " Baba Yaga " meant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Yeah I got you. I didn't see the VP in the new one.  I'll watch it again.  

There isn't one.... (unless it's in one of the armories)

Just the P30L, according to IMFDB.

I see what may be one on the 2nd shelf on the left, 2nd gun...  Is that the one you're talking about, @Ray Ray?

I also see a couple of Beretta 93R's, a Px4, and plenty of Glocks..

(Click the pic for a bigger version)

JW2Armory1.jpg