Sign in to follow this  
mikeyjones

Just a reminder not to let amateur gunsmiths modify your gun

wow and ouch... is there a limit to how light a competition trigger can be?  that must've been really excessive

It depends on the event, and sometimes on the division, but often there is no limit to how light the trigger can be.  I don't believe there was a limit in the victim's event.

Conventional/Bullseye comes to mind as having minimum trigger pull restrictions.  At the other end of the scale, free pistol triggers are often set to 1/4 oz or so, but those single shot precision pistols are a very different beast.      http://www.morini.ch/fotoart/155.jpg

wow and ouch... is there a limit to how light a competition trigger can be?  that must've been really excessive

It isn't just about light. People dick around wiht all sorts of bits and geometry to get a lighter trigger. Some people don't know the limits of what they are messing with and create an unsafe gun in the process. 

• Like 1

I can understand an extremely light pull weight for bullseye or other stationary shooting events, but for a run-n-gun type game that sounds pretty sketchy.  My stock 4.5lb 1911 trigger already feels too light for my taste.  Anything under 3 lbs must feel almost non-existent, especially under amount of stress.

I can understand an extremely light pull weight for bullseye or other stationary shooting events, but for a run-n-gun type game that sounds pretty sketchy.  My stock 4.5lb 1911 trigger already feels too light for my taste.  Anything under 3 lbs must feel almost non-existent, especially under amount of stress.

Many shooters go for trigger-pull weights down to about 2lbs. in a 1911 style gun.

I will say that as long as the safeties are functioning properly, then there really shouldn't be an issue with them, IF good gun-handling skills are maintained.

I watched the video, and it seems as though the shooter concluded that a M&P sear had been altered enough to cause the gun to fire. Would someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the firing pin safety prevent this from happening? To me, it appears that something more was done to have caused this, whether it was the previous owner or even her.

I have the Burwell Trigger Job done on my M&P 9L.  

Look at page 23-24

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

It does still need to have a hump, not just be vertical.  It sounds like the amateur job went crazy on the polish and cut.

• Like 1

I watched the video, and it seems as though the shooter concluded that a M&P sear had been altered enough to cause the gun to fire. Would someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the firing pin safety prevent this from happening? To me, it appears that something more was done to have caused this, whether it was the previous owner or even her.

Yes, the striker block would catch the shoulder of the striker normally. But the striker block spring affects the trigger pull because the trigger first has to lift the striker block plunger so I would guess that spring was also lightened to the point the plunger may have been stuck in the "deactivated" position. Or even worse, the plunger was missing (it's not required for the gun to function).

There are also anecdotal reports of the striker block shoulder wearing down due to mistiming of the fire control assembly. Apex (sear) and S&W (trigger bar) have both updated their hardware since the first models came out.

There are also anecdotal reports of the striker block shoulder wearing down due to mistiming of the fire control assembly. Apex (sear) and S&W (trigger bar) have both updated their hardware since the first models came out.

Nothing anecdotal about it . I have two older generation M&P strikers that got 100% chewed up by the newer Apex block that is needed for their forward set trigger/sear. As in the block did not block anything, you could move the stricker past with finger pressure. If you used a more modern revision of the striker this wasn't an issue (or at least not after 10k rounds and a lot of dryfire, eventually everything wears).

And that sear is ALL jacked up. 

• Like 1

Once you mentioned there was actual info somewhere in it I rewatched enough to find the pics. That should not have been sufficient to cause the gun to simply discharge like it did. Something additional had to be going on with either the shooter, the shooter's rig, or another part of the gun. 

Given that there's a bunch of eye witnesses to it just going bang, I'll assume it was one of the last two. My guess is they did something to try and take the pre-travel out of the M&P trigger, and that resulted in the firing pin block being permanently disengaged.

The lady in the video posted to facebook about the problems with the gun. There were additional modifications to the gun that effectively disabled the firing pin block. 

Who knows if they dicked with shortening the leg on the striker too. 

1) Know what you are doing. 

2) Know how to do it right. 

This stuff is dangerous, be very conservative with it, or pay a pro. 

And a properly applied tourniquet probably saved another life. Happy ending...

Yeah, I wouldn't even trust a professional gunsmiths work without checking it myself before putting live rounds down range. That's pure ignorance. Most of the professional work Ive had done has been to my satisfaction but there are a couple I've done business with that really have no right to call themselves gunsmiths. They are a dangerous group feeding off the trust of others.