Inc88

Shops that pin/weld muzzle devices?

I have an AR pistol from when i lived in NJ that needs to become a rifle. The lower was broken apart so i could upgrade parts and before i finish it/buy the upgrades id like to take the upper to a shop and pin/weld this fake can on so i can to 16". 

http://shop.masdefense.com/7-FAKE-SUPPRESSOR-EXTERNAL-556-223-75EFS.htm

My local shop says their gunsmith is 65$ and hour and cant give me an estimate how long it would take to get the job done. Since i dont want to roll the dice on spending up to 65$ or more I'd like to know what shops out there can do the job quickly and not cost me an arm and a leg.

I live in Gloucester co. If able id like to find a smith/shop near where i live so i dont need to ship it out.

I have an AR pistol from when i lived in NJ that needs to become a rifle.

I live in Gloucester co.

These 2 statements have me confused, did you mean you had it from before you lived in NJ?

Regardless, if you're confident of your handiness, buy the faux can, drill and pin it yourself, take it to a local auto body and pay them $10 to put a dot of weld over the pin. Then shave it down and hit it with some touchup paint.

These 2 statements have me confused, did you mean you had it from before you lived in NJ?

Regardless, if you're confident of your handiness, buy the faux can, drill and pin it yourself, take it to a local auto body and pay them $10 to put a dot of weld over the pin. Then shave it down and hit it with some touchup paint.

Problem is he needs to be able to weld Aluminum to make it legal.   Most places ie Body Shops don't work with Aluminum.

I would be happy to help but I hate working with Aluminum.

Another issue might end up being the Interaction between a steel pin / barrel and an aluminum can.  It might cause a corrosion issue since materials like that dont like being married to each other.

IMO an aluminum pin would not pass muster.

Another solution is something like this.

https://www.veriforcetactical.com/product/5-5-inch-muzzle-brake-for-ar15/

would make an 11' barrel legal if installed and pinned... its steel.  We would be able to install on a sunday morning while you waited.

You should check if any manufactures make fake cans out of steel. Weight will no doubt be more but its a possible solution.

FYI Accuracy issues with using these cans?

Started life as a 10.5 ar pistol when i was in PA now im in NJ and would like to convert it to a rifle. The lower is apart and i sold off the trigger, pistol buffer tube, and pistol grip so i can add a drop in trigger, rifle buffer tube, and one of those gun fighter grips. 

Umm he is wrong :)

I know lol. Seriously tho, a gunsmith that doesn't know that simple law is saddening...He was local enough to drive there and back and still have some time in my day to post pics of the gun when i got home lol

Problem is he needs to be able to weld Aluminum to make it legal.   Most places ie Body Shops don't work with Aluminum.

I would be happy to help but I hate working with Aluminum.

Another issue might end up being the Interaction between a steel pin / barrel and an aluminum can.  It might cause a corrosion issue since materials like that dont like being married to each other.

IMO an aluminum pin would not pass muster.

Another solution is something like this.

https://www.veriforcetactical.com/product/5-5-inch-muzzle-brake-for-ar15/

would make an 11' barrel legal if installed and pinned... its steel.  We would be able to install on a sunday morning while you waited.

You should check if any manufactures make fake cans out of steel. Weight will no doubt be more but its a possible solution.

FYI Accuracy issues with using these cans?

I dont care about the can down the road just the barrel since me and my s/o have plans to go back to PA at some point but for the next few years we'll be here so id like to play with my gun till then( it was my high budget ar ). I know you can silver solder it but i hear that can damage the barrel ( ballistic advantage ). Id give it a shot myself but dont have access to tools

Problem with Silver Solder is ATF requires 1100 Degree solder to legally extend the barrel , Aluminum melts at 1200 Degrees.   you might end up melting the fake can since its going to be hard to control the heat within 100 degree  I would advise not to do it :)

buy a longer barrel and pin weld a standard brake on it.  It's tough to weld together different materials when one is aluminum.  I am also assuming you had an AR pistol before you lived in NJ?

buy a longer barrel and pin weld a standard brake on it.  It's tough to weld together different materials when one is aluminum.  I am also assuming you had an AR pistol before you lived in NJ?

Yeah it was a pistol. Was hoping to avoid dropping another 160+ on a barrel.

Yeah it was a pistol. Was hoping to avoid dropping another 160+ on a barrel.

You'll pay at least half that in labor to have a bad outcome.  How much is the fake can?  Get a 16" target crowned and skip the brake.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:45 AM, remixer said:

If you decide to go with a steel barrel extension i would be happy to pin and weld which can be reversed if you ever move to a free state.

I know this is an old thread and I’m definitely a novice but how can that process be reversed?