Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

Gun shop etiquette

So i was at my local gun shop filling out the paperwork on a transfer i bought online and this kid on the other side of the shop asked to see a sig they had in the case. He racked the slide and pointed the gun right at the face of the guy who just handed it to him and dry fired it. The employee didnt say shit. He just asked how the trigger felt... if that were me i wouldve kicked his ass out for his own safety. I couldnt believe it. How would your gun shop have handled that situation?

The employee should have politely said something to the moron in question that he should get out of the store while he still can, and never touch a gun again until he has learned the most basic rules of firearm safety.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 5

So i was at my local gun shop filling out the paperwork on a transfer i bought online and this kid on the other side of the shop asked to see a sig they had in the case. He racked the slide and pointed the gun right at the face of the guy who just handed it to him and dry fired it. The employee didnt say shit. He just asked how the trigger felt... if that were me i wouldve kicked his ass out for his own safety. I couldnt believe it. How would your gun shop have handled that situation?

My local shop would have thrown the guy out!

In reality, most counter salespeople at gun stores are quite lax.  That's because they all break Rule #1 because they all "know the gun is unloaded":  "A gun is always loaded"!  I've seen one salesman point a muzzle at another one when clearing a firearm.  Hell it probably happens every day!

Ask yourself when was the last time you looked at a gun in a gun store and the counter person "ESTABLISHED A SAFE DIRECTION" and then RELAYED THAT INFO TO YOU of where to point the muzzle?  You probably can't, right?  Maybe it's past time we treat every guy that walks into a gun shop as someone who grew-up with guns and more like a Newbie so they stop SWEEPING EVERYONE IN THE STORE!???  Screw bravado and hurt feelings!  A simple schmooze about it and point to a target posted high up on the wall next to the ceiling, away from everyone.  How hard can it be??????????

I thought it was mandatory to skip a few showers and point guns at people. Or was that gun shows?

That's gun shows.

Gun shops you ask to hold every gun on display and Go "pew pew".

My lgs would have tossed the individual to the curb. I personally would have said" yo a$$hole! What da f#%k you thinking ".

• Like 1

I don't know how you can avoid muzzling someone at a gun shop.  With people on both sides of the counter and lined up side by side, only up is safe. If you're going to sight down the barrel, retrieve a handgun from the case, or set one on the counter - somebody is going to get muzzled at some point.

But pointing the gun at someone and pulling the trigger is a whole different thing.  If they had thrown him out, I would have been fine with that.

• Like 2

OMG.....all I can say.  Some rules should never be broken....because it makes the difference between 'aw crap' and "OH GOD NOOOO!!!"  

If you HAVE to try it out...and yes, shotguns, for example, you may want to shoulder it for fitment, point it at the floor, or the corner of the ceiling, or some other SAFE spot....NOT the salesman!

Geez.  The stupid...it burns.....

Were you in direct line of sight with the barrel to see it pointed straight at the guy? It could have been pointed at the buyer's 1 or 2:00(or 10-11:00) position to the shop worker and could have looked that way from a side point of view. And did you say anything? I highly doubt anyone in the business would allow a gun to be pointed at their head and dry fired...if so they BOTH need to be evaluated. 

I don't know how you can avoid muzzling someone at a gun shop. With people on both sides of the counter and lined up side by side, only up is safe. If you're going to sight down the barrel, retrieve a handgun from the case, or set one on the counter - somebody is going to get muzzled at some point.

I've seen it shoulder to shoulder in front of the counter, but I've never seen it crowded behind the counter to the point that I couldn't avoid sweeping anything with a pulse on my way to "high on a wall." At least, anything on my side of the wall, and if you've taken a look around, you should have an idea of what might be on the other side too.

Likewise, placing a firearm back on the counter with the muzzle pointed BETWEEN employees should be a no-brainer, but I've had to correct my wife a couple times. The sales people, surprisingly, never seemed to notice the muzzle pointed at their genitals.

There was one individual salesmen at Cheyenne, I think his name was Omar, that for each gun he handed me he would show that the chamber was clear, that the action was open and that there was no magazine present and that the gun was clear when viewing from the magazine loading area.  He would then tell me where to point the gun to dry fire.

I always enjoyed doing business with him!

My observations:

- 25% of customers never rack the slide of a semi. They also never dry fire. Those that do, jerk it back, never "feeling" it.

- 75% of customers can't release a locked back slide. They always try to force down the slide lock on an inserted mag.

- 50% of customers have their mind made up before they come in, even though what they want does not fit them.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Well, I for one would have to say something. I witnessed first hand-a .22 rifle being un boxed FROM THE FACTORY, with a round in the chamber...Incredible. That's when you feel the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Thank God the salesman, after unboxing,  safety checked(as you should ALWAYS when picking up any firearm), and to his surprise and mine, out popped the cartridge...right onto the glass counter. It happens, more than you think.

This discussion reminded me of this video.  Gun shop employee hands a cop a .38 semi-auto with a full magazine.  Cop sweeps everyone in the store (and himself) multiple times looking/feeling the gun.  He then proceeds to rack the slide and shoot himself with the "unloaded" gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

I think people need ot have their heads examined. The four rules do not rule the world with an unwavering iron fist of infallibility. They are sound rules, and you really need to understand what they do as a set, but there's a lot f things that need doing that the four rules would make impossible. Which is why in many contexts, you come up with different sets of rules to create sufficient safety. 

An example is one gun shop I went to allowed no ammo in the gun counter area, and they checked clear before handing it over, and explained you need to check it is clear before getting to feeling it up properly. They also checked it was clear before putting it back in the display. They'd explain to rules to anyone wanting to check stuff out. The odds of something going wrong or having to care about sweeping people at the counter were very low. They cared if you swept people before checking if it was clear. They didn't after, even if it was them you were sweeping. 

But it got cleared going into inventory, any time it went into or out of the safe, into or out of the display, and whenever it changed hands in the store by both the giving and receiving party. It'd be pretty hard to magic some ammo into the gun without someone noticing. 

Yes, you need to have a functioning set of safety rules. it is not necessarily the four rules for all situations. 

• Like 1

So it's not legal to defend myself when a person points a gun at my face and pulls the trigger? Just because the gun dident go off the first time dosent mean it isent loaded. I would definitely be in fear of my life if a gun was pointed at me.

So it's not legal to defend myself when a person points a gun at my face and pulls the trigger? Just because the gun dident go off the first time dosent mean it isent loaded. I would definitely be in fear of my life if a gun was pointed at me.

If you disarmed them, and you are now in possession of the firearm and they are not attacking you, I'm pretty sure you are going to jail for hitting them. 

All of these are good points. Im not saying what anyone saw isnt legit but maybe the angle may have made it look like something. I would hope the store employee would have said something, but maybe not.

In training enviroments these "rules" sometimes get bent.

In real life sometimes these "rules" get bent.

Extra precautions are put in place when these situations arise.

From that video, why is ANY handgun in a display case loaded? 1) There should be no live ammo near the guns on display. 2) Granny should have cleared it before handing it over to anyone, and 3) the LEO should have checked and realized a live round went into battery, let alone, pull the trigger. I am just shocked the person to his left was not hit with anything.

S. 

• Like 1

From that video, why is ANY handgun in a display case loaded? 1) There should be no live ammo near the guns on display. 2) Granny should have cleared it before handing it over to anyone, and 3) the LEO should have checked and realized a live round went into battery, let alone, pull the trigger. I am just shocked the person to his left was not hit with anything.

S.

You are 2 million percent correct