Dave2

Muzzle Device legality

I am in the process of building an AR. I am interested in getting a 14.5 barrel and pin/welding the muzzle brake on it. My question is what are your opinions on the legality of this particular muzzle device. I called the state police and didn't really get a very straight forward answer on wether or not I would be good to go or not. ( The guy on the phone pretty much said that if its marketed as a comp or flash hider then no good, and if its marketed as a brake it should be fine.)

http://www.alumalite-usa.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=87

Here is the link. It is a linear muzzle brake, not a faux can. It has the fake can look to it with the shroud extending over the barrel. So is it a fake can? maybe, but i like it and thats the look i'm going for. 

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

... I called the state police and didn't really get a very straight forward answer on wether or not I would be good to go or not....

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Vertualy elemenates Flash ( See Video )

( 6 ) - 15 degree HALO Ports that go deep it the expansion chamber for MAXIMUM gas Displacement

· Adds a Competitive appearance and tremendous tactical advantage to your gun

Even if it didn't say it virtually eliminates (or should I say, vertualy elemenates) flash, I don't know I would trust anything from a company where there are so many blatant errors in their own product listing...what's that say about their QC if they can't be bothered to proofread their own web page for errors?

But it does add a Competitive appearance and tremendous tactical advantage!

• Like 2

I'm in the People's Republic of NJ as well. It's marketed as a muzzle brake, and doesn't have any slots cut through like other flash suppressors. I think you would be fine, unless the device was specifically marketed as a flash hider. It's also marketed as reducing flash (bad) but don't know if it does or is just marketing. It doesn't have the features that other known flash hiders have.

During the 1994 crime bill, I believe some manufacturers submitted their brakes to the ATF for testing, and they would get an "okay" clarification letter saying it was a muzzle brake. They don't do that any more, and the ATF has reversed positions before. So the cool muzzle brake you have on today, could magically become an evil muzzle device if the ATF changes their mind.

I'd use any device marketed as a muzzle brake. Most police officers are completely ignorant about firearms and only know what they are taught, or what they look up in the criminal code book.

I have called the State Police before about bullet buttons for AR's years ago and said I was trying to be compliant with the law. I wanted to add an easily reversible (non permanent) modification so I could keep a flash hider or threaded muzzle. They were short with me, and told me I could weld up the receiver so it wouldn't take a detachable magazine.

They aren't there to offer legal advice, and as I said most cops don't have a clue about what's legal and what's not. A majority are anti-gun and think citizens shouldn't have CCW or "assault" weapons so don't look to them for advice in this anti-gun state.

Good luck!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Muzzle brakes and compensators are legal in NJ. Flash hiders are not.

The device literature states it eliminates flash - it's a no go here.

NJ does not use ATF or any scientific method of measuring flash to determine if a device is a flash hider. They go with advertising/branding by the manufacturer first, then the design.

Additionally, as stated aluminum is a terrible material for a muzzle brake.

Finally, I wouldn't buy anything from that company. Spelling errors, they talk in circles without saying anything... WTF is competitive appearance? If you want a linear Comp, get a Levange or a troy claymore.

• Like 1

I believe that is the same muzzle device they install on NJ compliant Tavors. So it might be considered NJ legal

Depends who does them. They come with the A2 which is a no no. But Steve from Monmouth will install a modified A2 with a closed end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

why do people say things like "if its marketed as a flash hider", that is pretty awful advice especially from the state police.. 

where does the law give any mention to its marketing.. the rules say "flash hider" is an evil feature.. if its a flash hider.. then its an evil feature.. as other pointed out since NJ doesn't clarify what a flash hider is.. I assume you would just follow the accepted definition of what that is, and that is going to be does it have the mechanical characteristics of a flash hider.. with that said.. if you pin some giant fake suppressor to the end of the gun you are certainly asking for attention (not that thats illegal).. 

"is that a suppressor??"

"no"

"oh whats it do.."

"it adds to the competitive appearance and TREMENDOUS TACTICAL advantage of the gun"

"oh hows it do that"

"it virtually eliminates flash"

lastly.. its your gun.. you can do what you want.. but what is the sense in adding something to a gun.. that is larger than it needs to be.. draws unneeded attention in a state that already questions anything about the legality of your hobby.. making the barrel longer than it needs to be.. while adding a questionable amount of performance improvement?

if you were playing air soft or something.. I could see "going for a certain look", but a gun is a tool? and if you want to maximize its performance.. choose quality parts that have an added benefit.. I just never really understood why you would add something to a tool that would potentially degrade the function to achieve some type of visual satisfaction? 

Its like adding an intricate hand blown glass handle to a hammer.. 

• Like 1

I think the issue is the Manufacture says "· Vertualy elemenates Flash ( See Video )" 

IMO that would be the only sticking point.

On another note... I'm no spelling Nazi but does anyone trust a company who spells Virtually and Eliminates wrong.

Is the manufacturer's name written on the device? If so, remove it. Install ANY device you want and call it a day. No one will ever know what you have. If asked, you installed a device that is marketed as a brake. Call it whatever you want. It will NEVER be tested if it hides a flash by ANYONE.

Just heard back from the NJSP.

--

He said because it eliminates muzzle flash to avoid it.... BUT as with all devices some reduction can occur, In this case they used the phase in the description and because of that he is hesitate to say this is legal because of prosecution.

--

I'm not going to debate "How many people have been prosecuted or will they ever check it". As its a stupid defense and i wont even waste time on it. Just because they might have never or will never check is pretty flimsy when it comes to a possible issue.

You can take the the NJSP reply i posted as advice or you can ignore it. 

Personally i would not do a disservice to any of my customer's by installing this device regardless of my personal opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

Depends who does them. They come with the A2 which is a no no. But Steve from Monmouth will install a modified A2 with a closed end.

Correct. But i think he was referring to the State legal model direct from IWI. iv never seen those since that 4" muzzle device defeats the purpose.

• Like 1

Sounds like there is a market here for some enterprising manufacturer to sell A2's to NJ, with all of the marketing material calling them Muzzle Brakes.   Maybe engrave 'Warning-not a flash suppressor' on it for good measure.

I am in the process of building an AR. I am interested in getting a 14.5 barrel and pin/welding the muzzle brake on it. My question is what are your opinions on the legality of this particular muzzle device. I called the state police and didn't really get a very straight forward answer on wether or not I would be good to go or not. ( The guy on the phone pretty much said that if its marketed as a comp or flash hider then no good, and if its marketed as a brake it should be fine.)

http://www.alumalite-usa.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=87

Here is the link. It is a linear muzzle brake, not a faux can. It has the fake can look to it with the shroud extending over the barrel. So is it a fake can? maybe, but i like it and thats the look i'm going for. 

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Another issue you will run into is pinning an aluminum comp on a 14.5, it requires welding the pin and most shops do not work with aluminum. thats besides the fact aluminum permanently attached  interacts with the steel of the barrel and might cause premature corrosion.

Is the manufacturer's name written on the device? If so, remove it. Install ANY device you want and call it a day. No one will ever know what you have. If asked, you installed a device that is marketed as a brake. Call it whatever you want. It will NEVER be tested if it hides a flash by ANYONE.

Dafuk? 

68918557.jpg

I recall that the device at the end of the issued M16A2 is referred to as a muzzle compensator, not a flash suppressor/hider.  That was one of the improvements over the M16A1.  Many manufacturers of muzzle brakes also refer to them as compensators.

Serious.

It is rather simple, if a muzzle device suppresses a flash, it is illegal. Everything else is legal. Take a night video of the device and save it as evidence that it is not a flash hider.

No, IWI does them. Although I am not sure where they get them from.

IWI installs Flash hiders on non compliant models and that long brake on compliant models..

We do install A2 Muzzle Brakes.

If I get the BCM compensator muzzle device, you could install that too?

No, IWI does them. Although I am not sure where they get them from.

Steve did my X95 so, maybe not all are NJ legal. I know I was looking for a NJ model but none were around. Besides Steve said screw that useless brake. Lol.