Family1st

Any wine aficionados?

Hello all,

Received an order from Sportsman Guide, Inside the box is a $100 Wine Voucher. Thought someone could use it. 

Go to http;www.laithwaiteswine.com/8097013 or call 1-800-649-4637 Use code 8097013.  1st time customers only, If you've used them before... change you're email address should work ;)

You Save $100 on a 12 bottle case, your choice of reds, whites or a mix of both. Worth $169 w/ voucher only $69.99 

Get 3 Free bottles of California Cabernet worth $50.97, plus tasting notes on every wine.

Now for the small print, $19.99 S&H, Offer avaiable to first time cust only, Limited to 1 case per household, Future club cases will be $139.99. 

Sounds like you have to sign up for a auto ship type deal. If so, make sure to cancel after receiving you're first order!

I don't work for them nor get anything. Simply enjoy helping ppl save money. 

Realized I could just scan and post lol

post-7757-0-17228400-1489079699_thumb.jpg post-7757-0-66284600-1489079699_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Received an order from Sportsman Guide, Inside the box is a $100 Wine Voucher. Thought someone could use it.

Go to http;www.laithwaiteswine.com/8097013 or call 1-800-649-4637 Use code 8097013. 1st time customers only, If you've used them before... change you're email address should work ;)

You Save $100 on a 12 bottle case, your choice of reds, whites or a mix of both. Worth $169 w/ voucher only $69.99

Get 3 Free bottles of California Cabernet worth $50.97, plus tasting notes on every wine.

Now for the small print, $19.99 S&H, Offer avaiable to first time cust only, Limited to 1 case per household, Future club cases will be $139.99.

Sounds like you have to sign up for a auto ship type deal. If so, make sure to cancel after receiving you're first order!

I don't work for them nor get anything. Simply enjoy helping ppl save money.

Realized I could just scan and post lol

Wine Voucher Front.jpg Wine Voucher Reverse.jpg

I'm gonna let my wife know about this. " soo if we order stuff from sportsmans..."

I prefer a Franzia Chillable Red in a mid February vintage.

One of my relatives has married two oriental women. And dated several. One wife was mail order. His name is, "Joey."

My uncle broke out some wine at a wedding. He was asked what it was and he responded, "Yellow Tail." You gotta be kidding me. This is like a watermelon hanging in the air and I got a baseball bat. "That's what Joey likes :D " with that big shit eating grin. It actually took a few seconds for it to catch but turned into a table of people laughing so hard they came close to puking :D

Last time I saw his first mail order wife was when my mom spotted her on the side of a milk carton. I'm serious.

Boons Farm, Ripple, MD 20 / 20, bout my extent of knowledge.

Oh, you forgot a few good ones :D

Cisco is bottled by the nation's second largest wine company, Canandaigua Wine Co., in Canandaigua, NY and Naples, NY - the same company as Wild Irish Rose.

Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine. The label insists that the ingredients are merely "citrus wine & grape wine with artificial flavor & artificial color," but anyone who has tried it knows better. Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common. Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants. Nudity and violence may well be involved too. Everyone who drinks this feels great at first, and claims, "It's not bad at all, I like it." But, you really do not want to mess around with this one, because they all sing a different tune a few minutes later. And by tune, I mean the psychotic ramblings of a raging naked bum.

In 1991, Cisco's tendency to cause a temporary form of inebriated insanity led the Federal Trade Commission to require its bottlers to print a warning on the label (above right). The FTC also forced them to drop their marketing slogan, "Takes You by Surprise," even though it was entirely accurate. Read the FTC's full investigation on their own web page at this link. Since those days, Cisco is harder to find outside the slums, although the FTC's demonizing of the drink only bolstered its reputation for getting people trashed. Anyone who overlooks the warning and confuses this with a casual wine cooler is going to get more than they bargained for. Cisco will make a new man out of you. And he wants some too.

Our research shows that Cisco is actually the second best tasting of the five great bum wines, especially if you're having one of those hankerings for cheap Vodka, Jello and Robitussin. We must also note that Cisco is the best of all 5 bum wines at putting the darkest and puffiest bags under your eyes. The nuclear-tinted color of "Cisco RED" is reminiscent of diesel fuel. Most Cisco flavors are named by the fruit flavor that they are trying to emulate, but the one picture is simply called "RED." This chemical disaster will get your head spinning in no time. A test subject reports, "Strawberry Cisco has a bouquet similar to that of Frankenberry cereal fermented in wine cooler with added sprinkle of brandy for presentation." The sticky, sickingly sweet taste with a hint of antifreeze really comes through in the repellant taste of Cisco. Avaliable in various flavors, 375 mL and 750mL sizes. Down a whole 750 mL and you had better be ready to clear your calendar as you suffer through Cisco's legendary 2 day hangover.

More of our stuff is here :D

http://www.bumwine.com/

I tried the WSJ club back in the day. The introductory prices were ok but the subsequent value was suspect. Best way to enjoy wines is to go to one of those discount places, like Bottle King, and load up on wines in the $5 to $11-12 range. If you like dry, French-style wines stick to swill from Spain, Chile, Argentina, Portugal, and whatever inexpensive stuff you can find from France (won't be much). If you like California-style wines, which are sweeter, stick with Australia, S. Africa, the U.S. west coast. It always helps if the wines are rated by either the Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator, or some reputable rater. Wines above 85 out of 100 are very good. 90+ is excellent. 

As with everything else in life spending $$$ on wine provides diminishing returns. A $1000 bottle is not 100x as good as a $10 bottle. 

If you're on a budget there's no reason ever to spend more than $8 or $9 on a bottle. Many Chilean wines rated in the high 80s cost $7. Thanks mostly to Robert Parker ("The Wine Advocate") wine making has been industrialized worldwide towards the Bordeaux style. The world is swimming in good cheap wine. 

Best way to enjoy wines is to go to one of those discount places, like Bottle King, and load up on wines in the $5 to $11-12 range. 

Some good advice right there!  I'm probably a bit snobbish, so my range is more like $8-15.  

And Bottle King has a tremendous selection.  You can always find wines in that price range that received a high rating from someone.  

Some good advice right there!  I'm probably a bit snobbish, so my range is more like $8-15.  

And Bottle King has a tremendous selection.  You can always find wines in that price range that received a high rating from someone.  

That was meant as a good budget price range. When I started buying wines in the early 80s you could get a case of petit chateaux (small producer) Bordeaux for $35. Yes, 12 bottles. I bought cases of Ch. Cantemerle back then for $120. I *almost* bought 1982 Mouton Rothschild ("The Wine of the Century") for $35 a bottle but was afraid my wife of 1 year would divorce me.

Check those per-bottle prices today :)

Anyone serious about getting value from wine purchases should subscribe to the Wine Spectator. Last time I checked it's about $30/yr. Their recommendations will return many many times the subscription price in terms of value. Or check out my favorite outlet, Empire Wines in Albany. Their shipping is $18 a case. Their web site and search features are outstanding. You can search for wines by rating and sample a dozen outstanding wines for under $10 a bottle. No tax and no schlepping or wasting an hour or more in a retail outlet. IMO worth every penny.

And of course if your budget allows you to spend $15 or $20 or $50 per bottle you can get similarly terrific deals at Empire in that price range.

One of our local stores was blowing out old stock for $10/case.  My wife came home with 2 cases and told me about the sale, I sent her back for a couple more cases and IIRC she brought home like another 10-12 cases. Out of that 100+ bottles there were maybe 10 I would buy again.  

You can get some nice wines for $10/bottle.  Usually once or twice a week I forgo our typical brands and just pick a few at random.  Actually had good results that way and found some new standbys.

This thread has made me thirsty, think I'll take a walk over to wine library. Walking prevents me from bringing home more than I can carry.

They used to have a lot more < $10 bottles. They seem to focus now on mid-priced wines. But that delicious parmesan is always on sale!