mlordi2

NEED HELP - Purchasing pistols from surviving spouse

Friend of mines aunt passed away and her husband had a small collection. I'm lucky to be able to purchase one and have my permit already done. How do we complete the sale on behalf of a deceased spouse?  What gets completed in the seller area, and what other documentation is required/needed? 

OK so I guess we are talking about pistols, not pistons.  When the husband died the property most likely went the the wife (aunt).  Now that she has passed, the property passed to the next of kin either by will or intestacy. In either case the heir is the legal owner and will fill out the paperwork as the seller.  If they do not have a FID leave that blank. This is of course assuming the heir to the aunt's estate is qualified to possess and not otherwise disqualified.

So who is the legal heir to his aunt, and is this the person you are buying from? If so, and you have a permit, it is handled like a normal private party transaction - assuming the legal heir is a NJ resident. Seller is responsible for the distribution of the permit to purchase copies (which copies go where is written at the bottom of the pages of the permit).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This is of course assuming the heir from the aunt's estate is qualified to possess and not otherwise disqualified.

I believe there is a stipulation in the statute that even if they are a prohibited person they have a certain period of time to dispose of the guns (that is: sell). Going by memory here, so I may be having a senior moment. If they are prohibited, check the statute first - better to be safe than sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I believe there is a stipulation in the statute that even if they are a prohibited person they have a certain period of time to dispose of the guns (that is: sell). Going by memory here, so I may be having a senior moment. If they are prohibited, check the statute first - better to be safe than sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

180 days to dispense if a prohibited person

Fixed the topic for you.

Your aunt does not need to put anything on the seller area - just leave the FID portion blank.

Thanks for the fix.  she doesn't need to put her name/etc in the seller area?  Something has to go into one of the sellers areas, no?  I'm not inheriting, it's not my aunt, it's a friends aunt.

She has to fill out the entire seller area (block A) - except for the FID/SBI number.

Keep in mind that the white and yellow copies must be mailed within 5 days of sale to the addresses listed on the permit.