45Doll

1,250+ Wi-Fi Camera Models Are Hackable - Including Foscam

I came across this article describing major security flaws in the OS of over 1,250 WiFi camera models. I own 5 Foscam cameras and they're all on the list.

I haven't studied the specific exploits in detail yet to see what specific results might be, other than the obvious access to the video stream from the camera over the Internet.

The article has several links including this one which lists all the known models involved. They are all variants of a single Chinese manufacturer repackaged and sold by other vendors.

Great topic 45, I'm check that article out.

Its scary how easy some wifi cams / products are to hack, Anytime you have the option to change the password, make sure to.  A lot of times the defaults are accessible online. Specially with older models.  

On a side note, am I to far down the rabbit hole if I place tape over my computers web cams?  Until I need to use it.. Not saying I do.... :resent:  

I would not be concerned too much about privacy invasion. The main purpose of these cameras been hacked is to use them as part of botnets to participate in larger Denial of Service Attacks. If haven't heard there was recently few large attacks that used IoT devices. Google for Mirai.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

All WiFi can be hacked, there is never a good reason to trust any wireless security equipment.

I should point out that the exploits in these cameras will work if the camera is connected to the Internet, either by wireless or hardwired. I called them 'WiFi cameras' because that's one of their main selling features and a common term of reference. But all my Foscams have Ethernet jacks, and that's frequently the way I connect them.

Hacking a wireless connection in and of itself is a different (and worthy) topic.

I should point out that the exploits in these cameras will work if the camera is connected to the Internet, either by wireless or hardwired. I called them 'WiFi cameras' because that's one of their main selling features and a common term of reference. But all my Foscams have Ethernet jacks, and that's frequently the way I connect them.

Hacking a wireless connection in and of itself is a different (and worthy) topic.

well said and totally agree

I came across this article describing major security flaws in the OS of over 1,250 WiFi camera models. I own 5 Foscam cameras and they're all on the list.

I was going to buy one or two of the Foscams but just never got around to it. This is kind of a stretch but what you probably do if this concerns you is block internet access to the cams and setup a Remote Desktop computer on you home network that you could remote into and view your cams. Kind of a clunky way to do it but all you have to do is secure the remote desktop process instead of worrying about 5 cams.

The downside is if you want remote viewing probably not going to happen with some phone app. You would need two computers able to run Windows Remote Desktop or VNC, the home system would need to be up 24/7 unless you did some wake on lan setup. That could even be a desktop you already own.. Then you need a tablet of laptop to gain the remote access to your LAN. . The main device would be a router capable of blocking internet access. Firmware like dd-wrt or tomato would be my choice, With dd-wrt you could block access by mac address, IP address or both. You could block internet access on a schedule say from 10pm to 6am or deny access 24/7 but you still should be able to view them from your LAN. If you don't view them remotely then just block access to the cams and you're done. Just figured I throw that out there.

(edit typo)

Another possibility would be to statically configure the IP on the camera's network interface in use, but don't give it a gateway address. Then the camera doesn't know how to find the Internet. (I haven't tried this, and assume the camera's OS will accept a config without a gateway.) If you can remote desktop into a more secure computer on your home network, you can then access the camera.

Or set up a completely separate IP network just for the cameras with no Internet gateway on it. Make one PC a member of both networks and RDP into that for remote access.

It occurs to me that all the 'gains' realized from the Internet are more than completely offset by all the misuse of it.