Sign in to follow this  
bohnhed

Insurance

I use these guys

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms

It's ~$125/year

Off the top of my head, the coverage roughly includes but is not limited to:

$40k in coverage

Firearms are unscheduled (they don't need lists prior to claim)

max payout per firearm I think is $5k under my particular coverage option

Firearms are insured where they are kept (safe) but also from vehicles if locked

Fire/water/theft is what they are covered for

It is all guns not just "historic" don't let the website mislead you 

It's peace of mind for sure.  But I don't know from your ambiguous thread if you mean firearm insurance, self defense insurance, or otherwise.

No, almost every single policy has a cap, mine is 5k, just like jewelery.

A cap on personal possessions, or just firearms? Mine covers much more than our possessions are worth. I asked specifically about guns and my agent told me basically "they're personal possessions." She didn't ask for any kind of inventory either.

Sorry should have been more clear.  I meant in terms of coverage in case you use your firearm in home defense.  Also, what about theft of a firearm or damage to them?

Interesting question. I always thought that if you are charged with a crime (criminal offense) no insurance policy will cover you, even ccw insurance.

If it is a matter of civil liability for self-defense then wouldn't something like an umbrella policy on your HO policy cover you? Seems that self-defense is self-defense regardless of the tool used to defend yourself (even hands/fists).

But if you were to use your firearm in what you believe to be self-defense and then get charged with aggravated assault, murder, manslaughter, etc, would these CCW policies cover a criminal defense (even if you are likely 100% innocent of the charge?

A cap on personal possessions, or just firearms? Mine covers much more than our possessions are worth. I asked specifically about guns and my agent told me basically "they're personal possessions." She didn't ask for any kind of inventory either.

Just firearms, jewelery and some other high value collectables. Those were the only two I remember as they applied to my situation. Every other personal item is covered in full.

Just firearms, jewelery and some other high value collectables. Those were the only two I remember as they applied to my situation. Every other personal item is covered in full.

I'll check on this before the weekend and report back.

Interesting question. I always thought that if you are charged with a crime (criminal offense) no insurance policy will cover you, even ccw insurance.

If it is a matter of civil liability for self-defense then wouldn't something like an umbrella policy on your HO policy cover you? Seems that self-defense is self-defense regardless of the tool used to defend yourself (even hands/fists).

But if you were to use your firearm in what you believe to be self-defense and then get charged with aggravated assault, murder, manslaughter, etc, would these CCW policies cover a criminal defense (even if you are likely 100% innocent of the charge?

I've looked at a couple of the CCW policies, mostly out of curiosity.  What I got out of it was that most would cover up to a limit for a criminal defense if you were found not guilty, if you came in guilty you were on the hook for the bill.  If I remember correctly they would also cover you for a civil defense but I don't recall what happened if you ended up with a judgement against you.

Yesterday I moved all our policies to Allstate. I'm not endorsing them, just sayin'. Saving about $2500 per year.

Before pulling the trigger I asked my agent specifically about firearms. "What if someone stole my shotgun? What if it was destroyed in a fire or some other event?" It would be covered, subject to the normal deductible. I didn't get too specific with her about what I owned but asked instead, "What if I had two shotguns? Four shotguns? What about the 'bullets' for my shotgun?" Same thing. My policy treats firearms and related equipment like any other possession. So no need here for separate insurance.

She recommended declaring items with a value > $2,000. None of the items in my arsenal, however, is worth anywhere near $2,000. 

So, if you already have homeowner's insurance I would not purchase extra insurance for guns. It's always smart to check your policy, however.

If you're concerned about liability your homeowner policy builds in substantial coverage for that. We have an umbrella policy as well.