JayWilling

Looking for a New Dog

Hi all.  Recently we had to put down one of our dogs and we're looking for another one to keep our old boy company. We'd like a rescue or a dog that just needs a home. Here's what we're looking for.

Preferably southern half of the state, southern 1/3 would be better.

Not a puppy...1-2 years ok. Not old either-1-6 years or so.

Medium size.

Mid to low energy dog with no dominance issues.

Must like other dogs and kids. Cats and small furry stuff is on it's own.

We are experienced dog people and have owned some so-called tougher breeds like Jindos and Huskies, but we're not looking for a challenge here...just a happy goofball doggie to be friends with old Rusty.

• Like 2

Hi all. Recently we had to put down one of our dogs and we're looking for another one to keep our old boy company. We'd like a rescue or a dog that just needs a home. Here's what we're looking for.

Medium size.

We are experienced dog people and have owned some so-called tougher breeds like Jindos and Huskies, but we're not looking for a challenge here...just a happy goofball doggie to be friends with old Rusty.

First,

Truly sorry for your loss.

Second,

Local shelters. Rescue ! Rescue! Rescue!

• Like 1

Hi all.  Recently we had to put down one of our dogs and we're looking for another one to keep our old boy company. We'd like a rescue or a dog that just needs a home. Here's what we're looking for.

Medium size.

very good friend of mine volunteers at "almost home" in pennsauken.

link to the above. it's their facebook page. my friend's name is keith. he's a great dude.

https://www.facebook.com/almosthomeanimalshelter/

another friend fosters from another shelter, but i dunno its name. i'm waiting to hear back from her.

there is also the shelter on cooper rd in voorhees, which myself and an ex adopted from many many years ago, and there's one on berlin rd in lindenwold right near the high speed line.

My wife missed our old chocolate lab, who went with our daughter up to her new job in Connecticut back in October.  So after looking for awhile, we picked up a very nice dog from the Voorhees Animal Orphanage - a girl about 25 pounds, best guess is she is a cross between a whippet and a pointer, and about a year and a half old.

More dogs from them are at:

http://www.vaonj.org/adoptabledogs/

A mile or so away from them, also in Voorhees, is the Animal Welfare Assn.  Their web page is:

https://www.awanj.org/adopt-a-dog

When did this "rescue" nonsense start? I been hearing it for at least 15 years now. You are not a hero because you got a cheap dog. I always got all my dogs from the pound, and my family did when I was a kid. Nobody ever gave us a medal. You wanted a damn dog, you went and got it for yourself. You didn't wake up and say, "I don't want a dog, but I'm going to go rescue one." It was a purely selfish choice. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pat yourselves on the back for it.

• Like 1

No one is patting themselves on the back. We wanted a dog and I grew up wirh my family getting them from breeders. I decided that "Rescue one" might be a nice thing to do instead. EAD

So sensitive :D Must have touched a rescue nerve.

Also good to know that you speak for everyone ;)

I just find it really annoying and silly. If you are not patting yourself on the back, stop calling it a "rescue" and call it a dog from the pound. It's blatantly clear why people use that word.

WTF does it matter to you mr high and mighty what people call it? No one on here seemed to me like they were patting themselves on the back or asking you for your approval. When people ask me about my dog I say I got him at the shelter. And I dont give a shit what anyone thinks cause hes the best damn dog there is PERIOD INCLUDING YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Now enough of that nonsense, one thing I cant stand are how strict these shelters are. I understand their looking out for the best interest of the dog but several of my friends have been denied and they are great candidates for a pet. Matter of a fact, we had to adopt several dogs for friends. All that does it drive people to breeders and those dogs are usually shit. 

When did this "rescue" nonsense start? I been hearing it for at least 15 years now. You are not a hero because you got a cheap dog. I always got all my dogs from the pound, and my family did when I was a kid. Nobody ever gave us a medal. You wanted a damn dog, you went and got it for yourself. You didn't wake up and say, "I don't want a dog, but I'm going to go rescue one." It was a purely selfish choice. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pat yourselves on the back for it.

Piss off!

• Like 3

Maybe I can offer a dif view about what a rescue dog is. I have two. The rescue isnt in me being the hero and saving the dogs but the fact that they themselves were rescued by a org up here that goes down South and rescued them from some pos high kill shelters. Back when I was a kid it was called adopting. Who cares (besides mipa...) what you call it anyway.

• Like 1

Don't know where that came from... but the "rescue thing" is because most shelters are actually overfilled.

If someone wants a specific breed, I have no problem with someone spending $1,000+ on a puppy. Certain dogs have certain qualities... protection, hunting, service, show, etc. A shelter is not the best place to find a dog for a specific role... even though they do come through from time to time.

But if someone just wants a dog, there are hundreds of dogs in need of homes at shelters across the state. I know the Monmouth SPCA got 200+ just from the somewhat recent hoarding cases last year. Then you have the Korean meat trade. Then you have people surrendering animals they can't take care of for any number of reasons. Then you have overflow from kill-shelters across the country. Our dog we got last year was from that last situation (from Tennessee).

While I don't call her a "rescue," I'll side with W2MC's response. If someone is going to call out anyone for giving a dog a better life... you really might want to rethink your argument. I say that, because it sounds like something a handjob would say.

This is my problem with shelters. They want to basically do a full background check, make sure your home is up to their "standards" then charge you $250-$350 on top of that to "adopt" one of their puppies they are planning on putting down in 2 weeks or w/e. I get the old tired responses of, they have to make money and need to make sure it goes to a good home so it doesn't end up there etc etc etc.

As a shelter you spent that money already, as a shelter you're going to pay to put it down, as a shelter you should WANT to see that dog live, as a shelter you should let someone adopt it for $50 or w/e that person can afford to make sure this dog will live out the rest of it's life happy. Not set so many requirements that the shelter is over run with animals they have to put them down cause they have no choice..

And I don't even like dogs....for fuck's sake. Give me one for $50 that will protect my family I'd take one and feed him and make sure he/she is healthy....charge me $250+ and make me go through a fucking interview...you can piss off. 

• Like 1

Last 4-5 dogs I had were rescues! Came from some hellholes. One boxer had frostbitten ears. Best dogs. Go SPCA or Humane society. Have an Amer. Bulldog now. 7 years old=great dog!

So sensitive :D Must have touched a rescue nerve.

Also good to know that you speak for everyone ;)

I just find it really annoying and silly. If you are not patting yourself on the back, stop calling it a "rescue" and call it a dog from the pound. It's blatantly clear why people use that word.

It depends on what the definition of the word "Rescue" is?

res·cue

ˈreskyo͞o/Submit

verb

1. save (someone) from a dangerous or distressing situation.

"firemen were called out to rescue a man trapped in the river"

synonyms:

save,

save from danger,

save the life of,

come to the aid of;

More

noun

1. an act of saving or being saved from danger or distress.

"he came to our rescue with a loan of $100"

synonyms:

saving,

rescuing;

More

• Like 1

"Here, look at my Hero Ribbon."

"Yeah, umm... that looks like a service ribbon."

"Well, yeah, but I wanted money for college. I could have rented my anus out to Zeeker, but I decided it would be more positive to do something for my country to get my damn money. So it's my Hero Ribbon. I'm not patting myself on the back or anything. Just Hero Ribbon."

LOL :D

When you pull a dog out of a sewer it is a rescue dog. You rescued it. If you had a rescue frame of mind, there wouldn't be a hundred dogs left behind when you walked out with the one cheap dog you picked to serve your own purposes.

Oh, look, I rescued a Guatemalan boy. I now keep him on a chain and he cuts everyone's lawn on the block LOL :D He's a rescue!

When the prisoners were liberated from the Nazi concentration camps were they not rescued by the soldiers that liberated them? Same thing. Get a dog from a shelter/pound and you rescued it from a shitty life in a cage with minimal interactions with people and possibly being euthanized.

Get back in the glory hole box at the 295 scenic overlook mipafox!

HAHAHA ! Nothing like starting a friendly shit storm.  Both our current and recently passed on dogs were literally "Rescued" from bad situations. We didn't do the "rescuing" but we gave them a home and they have had a wonderful life and enhanced our lives tremendously. I asked here because sometimes people have a dog or know of someone who has a dog that needs a new home, etc.

Our method has always been to check shelters and petfinder, and I agree with some here that the shelters are a little nutzo with the background checks and all. Good lord, we're not going to EAT the damn dog! We want to make it part of our family.

Know what I miss though? Years ago you couldn't drive anywhere without seeing a sign on the side of the road, "Free Puppies". No more. Now I know there are too many dogs and not enough homes and all that, but you can't go to someone's house and look at half Lab half beagle pups because they know who the parents are. Now you wade through mountains of pit mixes looking for what you want.

We normally will take a hard case...we can train tough dogs, but this time we want a cream puff because our old boy had his best friend go bad on him, and he deserves a nice friend.