Kaiser7

Rebuilt a K98, need help/ gunsmith recommendations

Howdy,

Over the past few years I had the opportunity to score two barreled K98 receivers, both of which had an excellent bore, and not much else. (The one I got with a 1895 Chilean mauser, total price was $200), and the other I traded a sporterized Spanish mauser for, which I had traded an AR7 for. I rebuilt them all with parts I sourced elsewhere so that I could have a range toy that I wouldn't feel bad about using. The one, however has a real issue with the bolt, which should be correct. When trying to lock it, turning the bolt down (or up when unlocking it) is incredibly tight and requires a lot of force. I don't know what the problem could be. On this particular example, a BYF, I actually tried to get as many BYF parts as I could to hopefully reduce the chance of any issues.

Anyway, I'd like to get these refinished, and looking like issue rifles. Given I saved them from just being hunks of scrap with a nice bore, I don't really feel any guilt at refinishing them. I just don't know who to take them to, or what the issue could be on that one rifle.

Thanks!

The bolt being tight to close/open could be a headspace issue. If you have other 98 mauser bolts, try a few of them and see if they are easier. If it is, then you may have to switch bolts. The barrel on the receiver could also have been improperly installed. Lastly, I have had a couple milsurp rifles that had difficulty closing/opening the bolt. They had dried grease in by where the bolt locks, once I cleaned that out thoroughly, bolt movement was much easier

The bolt being tight to close/open could be a headspace issue. If you have other 98 mauser bolts, try a few of them and see if they are easier. If it is, then you may have to switch bolts. The barrel on the receiver could also have been improperly installed. Lastly, I have had a couple milsurp rifles that had difficulty closing/opening the bolt. They had dried grease in by where the bolt locks, once I cleaned that out thoroughly, bolt movement was much easier

Didn't think about the barrel thing. Good idea, I want to take them to a smith  To be honest, I'm located near Winter's, and I know he's knowledgable about Mausers, and does good work, but I'm certain he'll give me guff over the project.

I've tried a few bolts, and they all have similar issues. So you might be onto something with the barrel.