medved11

DP-12 or KSG - Which Would You Choose?

Out of the two, I like the KSG better... and own one. Have two options for home defense shotguns; 870 Police and an Ithaca 37.

Feel comfortable on the 870, being I've shot Remington shotguns for years. Instinctively, I can operate one extremely well... which is what you want to look for in a defensive firearm. The Ithaca is a little different, but can change out the round in the chamber without having the magazine feed. I prefer it for my girlfriend, being it is a little more streamlined than my 870, so I run reduced recoil 00 in it (I shoot PDX1 out of my 870; slug/00 combo).

I did consider the KSG as a defensive shotgun... but opted not to due to the magazine system. I keep my guns with an empty chamber, but if the selector gets into the middle position... I'm not loading anything no matter how much I cycle the action. Not a problem with the other two.

The KSG is a fun shotgun... being one that holds 14 rounds in the gun. Switch stinks, but it is affordable over other options, and a sound design. If someone trained hard enough, I'm sure it would be a great choice. But that is a decision only you can make.

I'd still recommend a 590A1 Mossy. Although there are two decent pump guns for sale right now in the marketplace that could satisfy your itch while keeping your pockets full. I mean, the prices of the KSG and DP12 are ridiculous given the fact that it's still a pump shotgun.

• Like 1

So, after doing a little more research on both the DP12 and the KSG, I'm trying to figure out what either of these can do that the 870 that I already have can't do.

At the end of the day they're all shotguns.  Are you looking for them to do something different than the 870?

Sounds like a "want vs need" situation.

I got a KSG because I wanted a pump action shotgun that was as short/nimble as possible.  I've run all kinds of rounds through it without any issues, so I have no reservations about it being my home defense shotgun of choice.

If I didn't have the money (or desire for a short pump shotgun) my semi-auto Browning would have defaulted to the shotgun of choice.

Doesn't sound like you "need" the extra shotgun, but if it fills a void you see in your current arsenal then go for it.

u cant beat the size of the KSG & lov the 14+1 capacity. (i have one).

The issue is is that the DP-12 is just a better gun made by a legit company.

I can't trust Kel-Tec with anything but a range toy.

If my WASR runs 100%, I'd trust it. If my KSG runs 100%, I'd trust it. If my SUB-2000 runs 100%, I'd trust it.

I trust my WASR... especially with the round count. My KSG and SUB-2000 have been good thus far, but prefer to put more through them before I really give an opinion... but as it sits now, they should be good if they keep going.

If my WASR runs 100%, I'd trust it. If my KSG runs 100%, I'd trust it. If my SUB-2000 runs 100%, I'd trust it.

I trust my WASR... especially with the round count. My KSG and SUB-2000 have been good thus far, but prefer to put more through them before I really give an opinion... but as it sits now, they should be good if they keep going.

Many people do trust their lives to the above mentioned firearms, but not me. Then again, many people DO NOT trust their lives with revolvers, but I do.

To each his own.

I'd buy a Benelli M4 for a couple hundred bucks more.  I just bought a NIB pre-ban Saiga for 700, not sure how they are until I try but I'm having it SBS by a guy in FL.

• Like 1

I'd buy a Benelli M4 for a couple hundred bucks more.  I just bought a NIB pre-ban Saiga for 700, not sure how they are until I try but I'm having it SBS by a guy in FL.

Saigas are great guns - I've had one for a long time and it's never given me any trouble.  The only "issue" is trying to find "just in case" spare parts kit for the bolt. Saiga bolts are different than "regular" AK bolts so those spare parts kits won't work. I've heard that you can use some Bulgarian parts in a Saiga bolt but the geometry of the parts are not 100% the same as the Saiga parts. 

For what it's worth, I've decided to pass on both the KSG and DP12 since I've already got the 870. So, I'm looking to put those funds towards a bolt action build (I'm thinking about doing a 16" .308 "practical" rifle since I don't do much precision shooting).

:facepalm:

Many people do trust their lives to the above mentioned firearms, but not me. Then again, many people DO NOT trust their lives with revolvers, but I do.

To each his own.

I won't trust my life with a subpar revolver... just because it is a revolver.

My 642-1, converted to 9mm... I'll trust that all day long. It isn't because it is a revolver or that it is not a Taurus... but because I know it works. Big difference between the thought processes of myself and what I'm reading in your posts.

You are correct, to each their own. However, I don't decide on trust of a firearm because of a brand or design. I trust it from using it.

• Like 2

My 642-1, converted to 9mm... I'll trust that all day long. It isn't because it is a revolver or that it is not a Taurus... but because I know it works. Big difference between the thought processes of myself and what I'm reading in your posts.

You are correct, to each their own. However, I don't decide on trust of a firearm because of a brand or design. I trust it from using it.

Yes and no.

Yes in that you should run your gun until you feel it is trustworthy enough to defend your life with.

No in that Kel-Tec has, at best, mixed reliability and quality control issues. I had one, and I quickly learned that Kel-Tec isn't a brand I can trust. So I look elsewhere.

Who did the conversion?

Yes and no.

Yes in that you should run your gun until you feel it is trustworthy enough to defend your life with.

No in that Kel-Tec has, at best, mixed reliability and quality control issues. I had one, and I quickly learned that Kel-Tec isn't a brand I can trust. So I look elsewhere.

I have a Mossberg SRII that I use for trap. When I first got it, one ejector was causing it to lock up hard (unable to break open, but started that C/S email exchange due to an unfinished part of the forend. Shot it for shy of 500 rounds (like six months), and a crack developed at the wrist of the stock. I also had sporadic FTFs, with Federal ammo... but would ignite the second time. Mossberg put a new stock on, and I switched to Remingtons to see if it was an ammo issue (side note, Remington is a lot cleaner than Federal).

Now, by your logic... I should get rid of it. However, I'm not that serious into trap to invest in a Browning. Yesterday, I went out on a beautiful morning/afternoon in Farmingdale, and shot two 21s with it (and BSed with a couple friends). Gun works better than I need it to, and has been reliable since the return (nothing cracking) and since I changed ammo (didn't get a case through it yet, but no issues so far).

I chalk both major issues to Turkish manufacturing... which is what it is at the price I bought it for. If you run the gun, and it is good to go, what does it matter if Kel-Tec, S&W, Beretta, or Hi Point made it? If my Kel-Tec runs good, really could care less how you feel about them... because it's reliability is proven at that point.

You mentioned you trust revolvers. I trust most of my revolvers... because I know they work. My Nagant may have shot plenty of deserting Red Army troops, gulag prisoners, and surrendered Germans... so I know it can do the job. But does that mean I really want to trust seven rounds of 108 grain .30 ammo, doing about 1,100 feet per second, out of a revolver action that feels like a staple gun? It's a revolver... right? You'd trust your life with it because it fits in that group, right?

Your mileage isn't my mileage. Just because you feel Kel-Tec is garbage doesn't make the two I own, which have been 100% thus far, a piece of garbage. You made one halfway useful (big stretch, but I'll give you that, even though you recommended a shotgun that wasn't in the original question, or one like them... and didn't even give any explanation regarding it; troll) post in this thread... which even if he decided not to get one of the shotguns, still can be useful to people looking at two similar shotguns. Get off your high horse already... you really don't bring anything to this thread if you haven't shot either of the guns in question.

Who did the conversion?

I picked up the cylinder, already converted, off AR15.com. Had Tom at Howell Gun Works fit it to the gun, so have sort of a convertible revolver... just leave the 9mm cylinder in more.

Pinnacle did the actual work, though.

I have a Mossberg SRII that I use for trap. When I first got it, one ejector was causing it to lock up hard (unable to break open, but started that C/S email exchange due to an unfinished part of the forend. Shot it for shy of 500 rounds (like six months), and a crack developed at the wrist of the stock. I also had sporadic FTFs, with Federal ammo... but would ignite the second time. Mossberg put a new stock on, and I switched to Remingtons to see if it was an ammo issue (side note, Remington is a lot cleaner than Federal).

Now, by your logic... I should get rid of it. However, I'm not that serious into trap to invest in a Browning. Yesterday, I went out on a beautiful morning/afternoon in Farmingdale, and shot two 21s with it (and BSed with a couple friends). Gun works better than I need it to, and has been reliable since the return (nothing cracking) and since I changed ammo (didn't get a case through it yet, but no issues so far).

I chalk both major issues to Turkish manufacturing... which is what it is at the price I bought it for. If you run the gun, and it is good to go, what does it matter if Kel-Tec, S&W, Beretta, or Hi Point made it? If my Kel-Tec runs good, really could care less how you feel about them... because it's reliability is proven at that point.

You mentioned you trust revolvers. I trust most of my revolvers... because I know they work. My Nagant may have shot plenty of deserting Red Army troops, gulag prisoners, and surrendered Germans... so I know it can do the job. But does that mean I really want to trust seven rounds of 108 grain .30 ammo, doing about 1,100 feet per second, out of a revolver action that feels like a staple gun? It's a revolver... right? You'd trust your life with it because it fits in that group, right?

Your mileage isn't my mileage. Just because you feel Kel-Tec is garbage doesn't make the two I own, which have been 100% thus far, a piece of garbage. You made one halfway useful (big stretch, but I'll give you that, even though you recommended a shotgun that wasn't in the original question, or one like them... and didn't even give any explanation regarding it; troll) post in this thread... which even if he decided not to get one of the shotguns, still can be useful to people looking at two similar shotguns. Get off your high horse already... you really don't bring anything to this thread if you haven't shot either of the guns in question.

I did mention why I said 590A1 in my next post, but you must have missed that. If you buy ebough guns you'll eventually buy a lemon. I have owned a few. Remington, Kel-Tec, Charter Arms, Stag Arms, Taurus, and I'm probably forgetting a few.

Stop with the troll nonsense, I've been here on this forum since the jump off and I've backed up my talk.

Typical...way to add nothing to the conversation.

Anyway...have had my KSG from when it was first out. Never a problem. One problem I had was after shooting the dp12 a lot I moved back onto my other platforms and found myself pressing the trigger twice after actioning the weapon. While not a big deal to most I carry a shotgun a lot at work and when qualifying I found that misstep in my muscle memory. Don't like that

I did that after using it a few times at Clinton. I'll stick to the Vepr, but I'd get the KSG.

I did mention why I said 590A1 in my next post, but you must have missed that. If you buy ebough guns you'll eventually buy a lemon. I have owned a few. Remington, Kel-Tec, Charter Arms, Stag Arms, Taurus, and I'm probably forgetting a few.

Stop with the troll nonsense, I've been here on this forum since the jump off and I've backed up my talk.

No... I read it. And I stand by my original statement, as your posts in here add absolutely nothing.

I was half joking, since the OP didn't state what the gun was for. Had he said home defense or a defensive rifle then my suggestion would stand. But since he later stated it was a toy, then I don't care since it's just a penis extender.

The OP asked about two shotguns... if you want to toss in something else, maybe add some information so he can look at it from your angle. How about you read what I posted about bullpups and traditional shotguns... notice how it is actually a thought process and gives information to the OP? So yea, your posts are pretty much useless... way to go. [emoji106]

Like I said, I trust the gun.. not what some random internet poster decides he is going to toss out there. Yes, lemons are out there... however, they are out there WITH EVERY MANUFACTURER. If you are going to say brand X will never fail because they are so good, I'm sure there is an internet forum about that brand... and likely plenty of posts from owners having issues to disprove your claim. That's called modern mass production... as it is cheaper to fix a few guns that have issues if you get however many more guns out the door each month. No major company can guarantee perfect production... which is part of the reason why there are usually backing their guns with somewhat of a decent warranty.

I don't have to call you out as a troll, anyone that reads a thread you post in can figure it out. Happened to look back in the dog thread that I posted in (being I like seeing dogs that other members have), and instead of like everyone else that posts their dogs, you decide to spout crap out about pitbulls being so dangerous. Here, you go in a thread about bullpup shotguns, recommend a standard Mossberg, then talk crap... never putting a word of input regarding any bullpup shotgun... yea, that's a troll. You stealing someone's WiFi from underneath that bridge?

• Like 1