Please EMAIL the following Senate members IMMEDIATELY and URGE them to SUPPORT SB-646

IN THE SUBJECT LINE PUT:  SUPPORT SB-646 in Senate Judiciary Committee

(To send your message to all just Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]
[email protected],
[email protected]

Please send an email to these lawmakers stating your support for SB-646. It will help Florida gun owners and those of you

conceal carrying in FL. Ultimately might help all gun enthusiasts

• Like 1

Please EMAIL the following Senate members IMMEDIATELY and URGE them to SUPPORT SB-646

IN THE SUBJECT LINE PUT:  SUPPORT SB-646 in Senate Judiciary Committee

(To send your message to all just Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected]

[email protected],

[email protected]

Please send an email to these lawmakers stating your support for SB-646. It will help Florida gun owners and those of you

conceal carrying in FL. Ultimately might help all gun enthusiasts

For those who may not know,  SB-646 is a bill that *should* decriminalize "temporary" or "brief" open displays of a "concealed" firearm. You can read about it on this website.  I say "should," because the language is rather convoluted, and there are differences of opinion as to its efficacy, especially when other relevant laws are taken in context with it.  But it's certainly better than nothing, And it will be a worthy "next best horse" for Open Carry, which we probably won't get this year, or anytime in the future.  We blame the Southern Fl Dems for that, and "The Rodent" up in central Florida.

Believe it or not, we here in Florida have our own 2A issues, just like in NJ.  Primarily, they arise from all the volume of FL legislators that are, actually *not* from FL, but from.... <drum roll>,,,, NY/NJ.  :icon_eek:   At least, in NJ, you know where the legislators stand, and you know what you're fighting.  Unfortunately for us, a lot of the legislators we think are on our side, get voted into high places on the critical committees but then turn on us. Such is the case now with one of the legislators on the above Judiciary committee, Anitre Flores. Classic RINO turncoat. All throughout her career  in the FL Senate, she was strongly Pro-2A and worked besides a lot of the NRA reps in FL.  Up until early this year, that is.  She is term limited and can't serve in the FL Senate after 2018. So her next objective is Mayor of Miami-Dade. And to do that, she needs to adopt an anti-gun stance or she'll never get elected.  Thus, she has vowed to stop any/all pro-2A legislation this year.  And the problem for us is, she's President Pro-tem of the FL senate and wields a lot of power.   Just like last year, we had another GOP senator  Sen. Diaz De La Portilla that was chair of the judiciary committee and stopped all pro-2A legislation from getting out of his committee.  We have a pro-2A guy in charge of those committees, this year (Sen. Steube), but Sen. Flores can thwart his efforts quite easily.  And just like NJ, we face a Gov. election in 2018, and just like NJ there are strong Dem. candidates that are causing us issues. If a Dem gets elected Gov, we can forget about any new pro-2A legislation.

Anyway, I know it seems silly to ask help of folks that don't even have the right to carry at all.  But any help to influence our Senate to pass these bills will be greatly appreciated. We in FL have to stay twice as vigilant because there are forces  here that smell blood and would love to turn it into a totally blue/anti paradise. 

Thanks! :hi:

The Judiciary Committee meeting has begun.  All committee members are present. There are 6 MDA members visible in the audience, four of which are in seats directly behind the petitioner's lectern so they can bee seen by the camera focusing on it.  It will be a while, because the bill is 2nd to last on the agenda. Most likely because it generates the most discussion/debate.

You can watch it live on the Florida Channel Website.

Arrgghh!   Action on the bill was postponed in today's meeting!   It will have to be rescheduled in another meeting. 

This tells me that there are some language issues still being worked on, or some amendments to consider...

Fwiw, I did receive one reponse back from Representative Audrey Gibson: 

"Thank you for your email concerning legislation making its way through the 2017 committee process.

Many issues will come before us for discussion during committee meetings and ultimately Session.  With so many Floridians, writing in on multiple pieces of legislation, it is nearly impossible to answer every email and letter individually.  I appreciate your indulgence as I read and research various bills, and their impact on all persons or entities. I will keep your opinion in mind should the specific bill you write about comes to one of my committees or to the Senate Floor. "

Fwiw, I did receive one reponse back from Representative Audrey Gibson: 

"Thank you for your email concerning legislation making its way through the 2017 committee process.

Many issues will come before us for discussion during committee meetings and ultimately Session.  With so many Floridians, writing in on multiple pieces of legislation, it is nearly impossible to answer every email and letter individually.  I appreciate your indulgence as I read and research various bills, and their impact on all persons or entities. I will keep your opinion in mind should the specific bill you write about comes to one of my committees or to the Senate Floor. "

Audrey Gibson is a Dem. from the 6th distict in Jacksonville and a strong Anti-gun person....  She won't vote yes on any pro-gun bills.  Same with Sen's Thurston, Bracy and Powell.

Update:   HB-779 (FL House's equivalent bill to SB-646)  was read a 2nd time on the House floor this afternoon. It now moves to its final "3rd reading" on the House floor and then the vote.

Also, at this same session, another related 2A bill (SB-128) was substituted for the House Bill equivalent (HB-245), regarding "immunity from prosecution" in Self Defense cases.

An amendement was passed, lowering the "burden of proof" std.  by the prosecution from "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "clear and convincing evidence..."  This, to appease opponents who probably would vote against the bill, believing that the standard is too high for prosecutors.  It is also now on its way to a 3rd reading and a vote.

We shall see.... 

:popcorn:

I watched the House live on TV. Im not so sure HB-779 is good for us. ( temporary open  carry,  $25 fine for first offense , $500 for second and misdemeanor for 3 rd offense)  As the law is, a guy with ccw permit is not at fault if his gun is briefly and accidentally exposed while taking his coat off or reaching for some stuff on a shelf.

This stipulation will be deleted and if it happens more then three times you are in trouble. Before there was no  certain number of times.Cops could let you go every time if it was truly accidental.

I watched the House live on TV. Im not so sure HB-779 is good for us. ( temporary open  carry,  $25 fine for first offense , $500 for second and misdemeanor for 3 rd offense)  As the law is, a guy with ccw permit is not at fault if his gun is briefly and accidentally exposed while taking his coat off or reaching for some stuff on a shelf.

This stipulation will be deleted and if it happens more then three times you are in trouble. Before there was no  certain number of times.Cops could let you go every time if it was truly accidental.

But, if they're an "anti" LEA, they could nail you for the tiniest, most minuscule exposure to a 2nd degree misdemeanor. Now, it's a non-crimnial offense... at least for the first two  occurrences. 

We'll have to see how it affects 790.06 and 790.053.  :popcorn: