• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CyclingCraig

CyclingCraig
  • LocationHIllsborough, NJ
  • Home Range:SCFGPA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Hey all,

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Just picked these up yesterday for hopefully better practice time at the range.

They look pretty cool and I can't wait to try them out:

Attached File  NewboldTargets.JPG   60.02KB   10 downloads

Does anyone else have/use these types of "self healing" targets for range practice?

#2 Lambo2936

Lambo2936
  • LocationEast Brunswick NJ
  • Home Range:Range 14

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

I've heard that they are great for small calibers, not so much for large calibers. Anything big will leave small holes in em apparently.

#3 Purple Patrick

Purple Patrick
  • Locationwarren, nj
  • Home Range:New Jersey

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

i use one for my 22. its awesome. maybe 300 rounds or so fired at it and it doesn't have any pieces missing. 

Formerly lowslowmiata/ataimwolswol 

R.I.P. Miata

Contact me for any Henry Repeating Arms Questions  :vinsent:  :hunter:  :triniti:  :roulette:

#4 Junior

Junior
  • Home Range:RTSP, GFH, Bullethole

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Are ranges ok with putting these up?

#5 Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob
  • LocationCentral/West NJ - Mercer County
  • Home Range:EFGA or wherever someone will guest me in

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

We use these for indoor IDPA matches where steel would present a hazard. You can get 10% off your on-line order from Newbold by entering the code KJ10 - courtesy Ken Ortbach.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2aafvpz.jpg
NRA Benefactor Member

#6 CyclingCraig

CyclingCraig

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

I've heard that they are great for small calibers, not so much for large calibers. Anything big will leave small holes in em apparently.

I'll have to report back, I'll be using my 9mm with them.

We use these for indoor IDPA matches where steel would present a hazard. You can get 10% off your on-line order from Newbold by entering the code KJ10 - courtesy Ken Ortbach.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have used the "Poppers" once at a match, but this is the first time I will use the hanging "Gong" types.

I'm more interested in the movement "Feedback" you get for proper hits during practice.

I got the 6" and the 4".. the larger 8" is for a friend.

The 4" seems small, but it is the new 2017 IDPA Down zero size for head area on the targets.

#7 Lambo2936

Lambo2936
  • LocationEast Brunswick NJ
  • Home Range:Range 14

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Let me know how they work out. The whole filling bottles with water thing gets old, as entertaining as it is to watch them blow up. I wonder if Range 14 allows these.

#8 CyclingCraig

CyclingCraig

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

So Finally got to the range with the new targets.

I shot with a .22LR S+W Victory and a 9mm Full size.  Then used a friends .45 1911 for a few shots

Overall impression:

These things are AWESOME !!! compared to shooting paper or Splatter targets!!  I may never shoot paper again, maybe to warm up a little or sight in a gun, but that's it

I have the 6" and the 4" Hang Tuffs, we where shooting from 10 Meters (About 33 Feet).

Reactivity:

The 4" moves more than the 6" (Obviously.. 6" is heavier, the 8" my buddy had, moved even less but still wiggled with the .22)

With both .22 and 9mm the 4" really swung around, and the 6" moved pretty well too.. MORE than enough to tell you hit it very easily.

The .45 moved the targets more, but not crazy.

Durability:

Put about 100 rounds into the 6" and yeah it has these grayish/black marks and small/tiny holes where the bullets entered, exit holes looked like pin holes, but they held up awesome.  These will last a pretty long time.

The .45 definitely showed more damage then the 9mm, and I assume would shorten the life of the target.

Usability:

I loved these things!! The instant feedback of if you hit a 4" or 6" circle over and over again is awesome!  With splatter targets, you actually have to focus on the target to see you hit it (My eyes are starting to go).  Then, which splatter hit was the last one? Was it the one inside the 4" ring or outside?.  At that point you lost the feedback loop your brain builds for good shot placement / practice.

With these, you see that thing flip around / jiggle you know you had a good shot. I was doing punch out, one shot drills from high ready, and knew each time if I hit what I was aiming for immediately.  That to me, is very important feedback.  I also had my two targets next to each other, so I would transition from the 4" to the 6" to practice follow up shots.

Anyway.. 

These things are a TON of fun, They will be my go to targets and makes range time more fun and productive.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Craig

#9 Mr.Stu

Mr.Stu
  • LocationStillwater
  • Home Range:SCFGPA, EFGA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Ken uses them for rifle, pistol and shotgun at his 3 gun matches in Easton. He has found that hollowpoint and soft tip bullets take chunks out. Ball ammo is best for the longevity of these.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sandy

It is OMFG good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users