Lambo2936

Refinishing an ACOG/Cerakote?

Just crossed my mind. I have that ACOG thats for sale that i was thinking of putting on the FDE TAVOR i picked up. The ACOG is a bit scratched up and i thought about refinishing it somehow. Obviously i've heard of Cerakote, but would a finish like that hold up well on a sight? Can it be done to a sight like an ACOG? Approximately how much would it cost?
I'd have a PTM Like-New sight for fairly cheap. At that point i'd contemplate doing something custom other than just a flat FDE finish on it, but just want to get an idea.
Thanks guys!

(Picture of ACOG attached)

post-8471-0-26598500-1490892494_thumb.jpg

Be interested in knowing too. But they have to bake cerakote. Dunno how a scope would hold up to the heat without exploding beings they are air tight. Might ruin them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be interested in knowing too. But they have to bake cerakote. Dunno how a scope would hold up to the heat without exploding beings they are air tight. Might ruin them.

That's why im asking; as tough as ACOG's are, i doubt they can.

They could do the mount for my Docter sight but i doubt its worth doing just that (though thats the most beat up part).

I'll contact Modern Materiel, but TBH that dude rubbed me the wrong way over the most ridiculous thing.

They put a post on the FB Group about AR500 targets at Fazzios and i commented that i've found them for cheaper online (Not bashing fazzios at all, just literally saying if you dig around you can find them for less, because i found a few on eBay for less), and i got this message: "Don't you know how to act. You don't go talking shit on other people's post. Fazzios can sell at whatever price they want and someone can choose to pay it or not. Learn some manners kid..."

My response:

Not sure why you're butt hurt. You posted about Fazzio's targets, and i said that they can be found cheaper on eBay with a little digging. I didn't "talk shit" or talk down the quality of their targets like all of the fanboys talking about how them using a torch or plasma cutter may have "weakened the edges of the target", but OK guy. Like you said, people can choose where they want to spend their money. And to think you're a 2A advocate, haha. Learn a bit about the 1st, first.

• Like 1

Cerakote makes a no bake required air dry product. Contact Modern Materiel.

Kewl. Otherwise I'd paint it worse case scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's why im asking; as tough as ACOG's are, i doubt they can.

They could do the mount for my Docter sight but i doubt its worth doing just that (though thats the most beat up part).

I'll contact Modern Materiel, but TBH that dude rubbed me the wrong way over the most ridiculous thing.

They put a post on the FB Group about AR500 targets at Fazzios and i commented that i've found them for cheaper online (Not bashing fazzios at all, just literally saying if you dig around you can find them for less, because i found a few on eBay for less), and i got this message: "Don't you know how to act. You don't go talking shit on other people's post. Fazzios can sell at whatever price they want and someone can choose to pay it or not. Learn some manners kid..."

My response:

Not sure why you're butt hurt. You posted about Fazzio's targets, and i said that they can be found cheaper on eBay with a little digging. I didn't "talk shit" or talk down the quality of their targets like all of the fanboys talking about how them using a torch or plasma cutter may have "weakened the edges of the target", but OK guy. Like you said, people can choose where they want to spend their money. And to think you're a 2A advocate, haha. Learn a bit about the 1st, first.

It only takes one time to piss me off like that. No 2nd chances. There are plenty good 'koters out there.

It only takes one time to piss me off like that. No 2nd chances. There are plenty good 'koters out there.

IDK man. Was i somehow in the wrong? I Didn't bash them or anything, i literally just said that i had picked one up on eBay for cheaper and apparently that is somehow disrespectful. Yes, we are in New Jermany but one thing we still have is the 1st amendment and the right to choose where to spend our money (for the most part)....

I just went to copy and paste my exact comment but i forgot it was deleted...

Regarding the air-dry cerakote, i'm going to look into it but that stuff generally doesnt last.. Its basically just a spraypaint; at that point i may as well plastidip it and just peel it when it gets messed up, no?

IDK man. Was i somehow in the wrong? I Didn't bash them or anything, i literally just said that i had picked one up on eBay for cheaper and apparently that is somehow disrespectful. Yes, we are in New Jermany but one thing we still have is the 1st amendment and the right to choose where to spend our money (for the most part)....

I just went to copy and paste my exact comment but i forgot it was deleted...

Regarding the air-dry cerakote, i'm going to look into it but that stuff generally doesnt last.. Its basically just a spraypaint; at that point i may as well plastidip it and just peel it when it gets messed up, no?

Imho, I don't think so. He wasn't selling it, his company wasn't selling it and you did nothing different than what we do letting people know of good deals.

I know tritium vials can hold out if you bake it at a lower heat. I had a set on my 1911 done and it worked out fine. But a scope, imho, I wouldn't. But by all means, ask the experts.

Yeah i'm going to look into alternative coatings. Maybe if i can find an FDE colored Plastidip or something, that way i can peel it for resale, so it doesnt murder the resale value, haha.
I'll do that if i cant move the ACOG anytime soon..

it won't sell it quick. there is like 3 acogs right now up for sale all fairly priced and a lot better condition then yours and they been on market for like 2 months.

Saw one other one, but it doesn't have a docter sight or RMR on it. Haven't really seen any others that haven't moved. It'll sell sooner or later, im really not in any rush. Only things i really want gone are those two AR's and maybe a few of my extra sights. The ACOG is a fantastic piece of glass. TBH i coulda gotten 900$ for it a few times over on eBay but i dont want to deal with that crap, so i declined the offers.. 

Well..
Since this has taken a turn to "screw it ill just spraypaint it", any ideas as to a pattern/design to match an FDE X95? See the picture i posted above.
The part thats the most beat up is the mount for the docter as that is what stuck out. That part can be dripped down to just metal by pulling the sight off, so thatll be easy enough. I'll tape off the actual glass, too. Just worried itll come out looking like crap. Good news is i have a fake replica i bought for my airsoft gun way back when that i will use as a test dummy.

U can get a "spray paint" cerakote now, non bake version. This stuff was specifically formulated for Scopes and plastic parts

I was looking into duracoat and stuff but word is they arent much better and are a PITA to touch up, but still cost 40$ for a can. Id be better off with soray paint and just removing it w a solvent if i later on decided to do so, i think.