Sign in to follow this  
Moose11872

Multiple handgun purchases

My last transfer was on March 8. Am I eligible to complete another transfer on April 7th, which would be day 30, or do I have to wait until April 8th, which is day 31? My permit expires on the 11th. Thanks in advance for any info.

You had better wait until April 8th. I mistakenly thought that on the 30th day I could purchase another handgun. The NICS check refused the purchase. About a week later I received a letter from the State Police stating that I violated a statute for not waiting the proper period of time. I also received a call from the State Police Headquarters with a VERY STRONG admonishment for not waiting the proper amount of time.

Be forewarned, wait the extra day.

Richard

• Like 1

You had better wait until April 8th. I mistakenly thought that on the 30th day I could purchase another handgun. The NICS check refused the purchase. About a week later I received a letter from the State Police stating that I violated a statute for not waiting the proper period of time. I also received a call from the State Police Headquarters with a VERY STRONG admonishment for not waiting the proper amount of time.

Richard

I'm hoping I'm not the only one that sees the rich irony here? That the NJSP - who apparently as a regular practice, ignore the statue (and the Gov's directive) requiring firearm permits to be either approved (or denied with cause) within 30 days (and they apparently commonly overshoot that time limit by weeks or months, not merely days) - are being stern with a citizen who missed something by 1 freaking day, clearly by accident? Unreal. 

• Like 6

Richard

If your math was correct then you should have told the NJSP to stick it and stop threatening you. Perhaps you would care to provide the two pertinent dates for scrutiny?

There is no ambiguity in counting 30 contiguous days in which there is only one when a handgun is purchased.

However I do appreciates Emma's ironic observation.

I always wait 31 days so no b.s., no counting, no agonizing, no thinking. Can you count that high? :)

Yes, but I always count in base 2 or base 8 to keep everyone guessing. Or if worse comes to worse, hexadecimal. Geek bizarre!

Seriously, when it comes to the 1E day BS I refuse to give a day, unless it's for my convenience. Day 11110 purchases rank second only to Multiple Handgun Exemptions.

Yes, but I always count in base 2 or base 8 to keep everyone guessing. Or if worse comes to worse, hexadecimal. Geek bizarre!

Seriously, when it comes to the 1E day BS I refuse to give a day, unless it's for my convenience. Day 11110 purchases rank second only to Multiple Handgun Exemptions.

Not worrying about it is my convenience. Also not driving 23 miles to my FFL when I have other things to do. Believe me nobody's ass is burning because you go on day 30 instead of day 32. 

I freely admit when I buy on Day 30 it's just because I can! But if it makes you nervous or is not convenient, don't.

For the non-believers, here are 30 contiguous days where only one handgun is purchased:

8-Mar Day 0 You bought one.

9-Mar Day 1

10-Mar Day 2

11-Mar Day 3

12-Mar Day 4

13-Mar Day 5

14-Mar Day 6

15-Mar Day 7

16-Mar Day 8

17-Mar Day 9

18-Mar Day 10

19-Mar Day 11

20-Mar Day 12

21-Mar Day 13

22-Mar Day 14

23-Mar Day 15

24-Mar Day 16

25-Mar Day 17

26-Mar Day 18

27-Mar Day 19

28-Mar Day 20

29-Mar Day 21

30-Mar Day 22

31-Mar Day 23

1-Apr Day 24

2-Apr Day 25

3-Apr Day 26

4-Apr Day 27

5-Apr Day 28

6-Apr Day 29

7-Apr Day 30 Buy another! As long as it's not Sunday or another state holiday.

• Like 2

People have been approved on day 30 as above, but doesn't the statute state "within 30 days". The would mean day 30 is "within" the time frame.

FYI, the Feds use 3 business days plus one when NICS is delayed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody for the advice. I must say that the fact that this is even debated disgusts me. It shouldnt be this difficult. Friday IS day 30 so I have waited 30 days. BUT....technically a full 30 days is 0100 Saturday the 8th. I guess I should just hope that whomever reviews my purchase is in a good mood because it seems that that is what really matters. BTW....it is my 3rd and final permit this time around. It expires Tuesday April 11th.

I was told 30 days Between purchases so on the 31st day. The dealer usually ask if you bought a gun in the last 30 days. If you are on day 30 the the answer would be yes.

Wouldnt the correct answer be "I purchased my last gun 30 days ago"? 1 to 30 IS 30....30 is 30....31 is 31. Dam this pisses me off. I can actually prove the actual time of day of that last purchase. So if I wait until after that time I should be good right?

People have been approved on day 30 as above, but doesn't the statute state "within 30 days". The would mean day 30 is "within" the time frame.

45Doll is correct. Don't forget that he's counting March 8 as Day 0. That puts it outside the 30 day window that he counts.

What if, say you bought a hangun within the 30-day period. How do they find out?

NJ NICS and the NJ Permit Unit work together to keep NJ residents safe.

Richard

I would have told them to fuck off. How could you have violated the law when you never took possession? Criminal Attempt? Yeah right. You waited a month to get it and you were one day short because they can't count. If anything, you showed an attempt to comply with the law.

"NJ 2C:58-3: i. Restriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun

shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be

purchased within any 30-day period, ..."

Emphasis mine. My previous post chronicled a contiguous 30 day period during which only one handgun was purchased. Thus, the purchase is legal.

And, for Emma's ironic satisfaction:

"NJ 2C:58-3:f. Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The

application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the

application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall

be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and,

unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the

identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from

the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for

nonresident applicants."

I suppose I obsess over this point because the law is clear on BOTH 30 day specifications, but our state government chooses what the words mean to suit their own convenience, and biases. As does most of the rest of our country.

I certainly am NOT obsessing that anyone should act according to my opinion. Anyone purchasing a firearm should do exactly what they're comfortable with as they understand and interpret the law.

• Like 3

New Jersey and gun laws......stupid together. I may make multiple handgun purchases today cause I can't count and sometimes I don't have to.

Do you guys realize that the handgun purchase permitting scheme we use in this state (and others) is an old Jim Crow era law that existed in the south once blacks were able to buy firearms because the state couldn't stop them from purchasing but they wanted to hinder as much as possible.

Really blew my mind when I read that one. Got the info off a NC website when doing my moving research but it makes total sense. Except in our state they are trying their hardest to keep all citizens from being armed or making it as inconvenient as possible, not just blacks.