Sign in to follow this  
Samdjr74

44 Mag Desert Eagle, what ammo works best?

Hello All,

I just picked up my Desert Eagle in 44mag. For the Desert Eagle owners out there, what ammo are you using and what works best? I heard the DE can be a little picky with ammo and before I start buying some in bulk I'd like to try a few out that others have had good luck with.

Thank you,

Sam

The key to keeping this gun functioning is to make sure the gas system is kept clean. The second most important point is to shoot ammo in it that burns completely.  This can be a problem with certain powder and heads that are hand loaded.  It does not like any "left overs" in the chamber or barrel.  Do not baby it, make it earn its living by using ammo to hammer the hell out of it, so to speak.  This will force the gas system to break in nicely.  Don't over lube the gas system, it does not like that either.  Any of the three Hornady XTP loadings should do the job nicely.  Using lead only bullets does not work really well, just cannot generate the type of speed this gun demands,  Happy Shooting and if you plan on shooting it alot, think about a second job, you'll need the cash.

• Like 1

I'ts gas operated. Feed it hard hitting ammo. It MUST have a covered base. TMJ, JHP, JSP. etc. FMJ with an exposed base will eventually lead the gas ports. Straight lead with RAPIDLY do it. 

At least in .357, magtech 158gr SJSP worked jsut peachy and gave me some of the longest runs between malfunctions due to fouling of any of the cheaper ammo. 

• Like 1