The brew guy

Another American headed to jail in NJ

I don't remember seeing this case here before. The governor is his last hope. He doesn't stand a chance unless the case is popular enough for Crisco to step in.

http://abc7ny.com/news/exclusive-decorated-marine-fighting-for-his-freedom-after-mandatory-gun-sentence/1865190/

More info in these articles:

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017/04/marine_heading_to_prison_next_week_unless_christie_steps_in_report_says.html

http://hackensack.dailyvoice.com/police-fire/marine-on-trial-for-having-gun-outside-fort-lee-club-testifies-in-own-defense/631199/

Pompey was an active-duty sergeant at the time and had just driven from the Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia to visit family in the Garden State. He went to the club with his friend and had his friend lock the gun in the glove compartment and put the ammunition in the trunk, according to court documents.

But Pompey later removed the gun after a brawl in the club, and put the gun in his holster and put a magazine in the weapon.

That right there does not fly...

Just because NJ says holstering a handgun for protection doesn't fly doesn't mean it is right. His God Given Rights and now Freedom were taken by the State of NJ. A Marine none the less. F this State and F Christie if he doesnt pardon him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I agree it is a waste of taxpayer money and 3 years is a bit harsh considering nothing happened.

However, bringing a gun to a night club in NC would also result in severe punishment. Add the fact that he went to his car to get the gun then returned to the confrontation, I don't think being in NJ is the problem. I cringed reading it. Being a marine is the only thing that may get Christie to save him, but I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

The gun was locked in the glove compartment with the magazine locked in the trunk. His huge error in judgement was to

retrieve the weapon, load and holster it.  Christie will not pardon him!

Should he have been given a lighter sentence considering his service? I sure think so!

• Like 3

Ok, let's spin this.

What if he had a ccw, or right to carry.

Take state out of it.

What would your expectations of his actions be?

I know my thoughts, I'll pause for yours.

I would definitely not expect someone to leave a confrontation only to return with a loaded gun. There isn't a single state where this would fly.

I know with 100% certainty that you can't conceal carry at a bar or nightclub in NC period. Doesn't matter what your reason is and doesn't matter if you are drinking or not. And that doesn't even take into the account the leaving and returning with a gun massive error in judgment.

I really hope being a marine decreases his sentence, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 6

I would definitely not expect someone to leave a confrontation only to return with a loaded gun. There isn't a single state where this would fly.

I know with 100% certainty that you can't conceal carry at a bar or nightclub in NC period. Doesn't matter what your reason is and doesn't matter if you are drinking or not. And that doesn't even take into the account the leaving and returning with a gun massive error in judgment.

I really hope being a marine decreases his sentence, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nailed it!

It sux all the way around. While it was wrong, NJ will not lessen any sentence in this type of case. In doing so will diminish their ability to start imposing higher charges in future cases and you know they do not want lose ground in their Nazi way of thinking. They want to set a precedence for the worse. Not make it easier for people to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree our laws suck.   Everything this guy did was wrong in so many ways. His active duty status, after reading his own words should be A mute point.   Sorry but I speak that as A Vet myself from A long time ago.

• Like 2

Frankly, I think it would be a waste of both of their lives and OUR taxpayer money for either of these two to do time. Mistakes were made but no one was hurt. They're guilty of being stupid, but they're not criminals in the societal sense. 1,000 hours of community service would be a more fitting punishment—let them do some good in the community. 

• Like 1

Frankly, I think it would be a waste of both of their lives and OUR taxpayer money for either of these two to do time. Mistakes were made but no one was hurt. They're guilty of being stupid, but they're not criminals in the societal sense. 1,000 hours of community service would be a more fitting punishment—let them do some good in the community. 

Suppose the cops did not arrive as fast as they did! One made the mistake of retrieving the weapon, loading and holstering it.

The other by forcibly gaining control of that weapon and he was on his way back to confront his attackers.

No way in hell did either man make a sound decision and no way should either get community service. The only reason no one was shot was because the cops diffused what was going to happen!

Do I feel bad for them? Yes. Do I think they should get off with a light sentence?  Unfortunately, no! You or I would not have given the same circumstance.

• Like 3

Suppose the cops did not arrive as fast as they did! One made the mistake of retrieving the weapon, loading and holstering it.

The other by forcibly gaining control of that weapon and he was on his way back to confront his attackers.

No way in hell did either man make a sound decision and no way should either get community service. The only reason no one was shot was because the cops diffused what was going to happen!

Do I feel bad for them? Yes. Do I think they should get off with a light sentence?  Unfortunately, no! You or I would not have given the same circumstance.

this sums it up. very poor decisions made here. the fact that he's a marine is irrelevant. let's say i was in that club in fort lee that night. and let's say the situation wasn't diffused. shots are fired and i get shot. do we still ask for leniency? NOW...having said all that, we must ask ourselves if he'd be going to prison in any other state besides nj for this incident. if the answer is no, then he should be pardoned. if yes, and i suspect it is yes, then 3 years sounds about right

This is not an outcome of NJ's strict laws. This was a bad decision in every regard. You do not leave the confrontation to retrieve a firearm. Once you've left the confrontation has ended and you need to move on. The purpose of retrieving the firearm was to threaten, intimidate or worse use it unnecessarily. While I greatly appreciate the service the marine has performed he earned this arrest. One would have to wonder if he intended to use the firearm. In the circumstances provided it would have constituted an offensive, not defensive, use of the weapon.

Sorry to all that are grasping at anything to swipe at NJ's ridiculous gun/carry laws. This incident isn't an example of these I'll conceived laws creating the problem--it's the decisions made by the perp in this case. His actions would have been illegal most anywhere including NC.

This case doesn't deserve a gubernatorial pardon if what is alleged in the article is true. In fact it doesn't help but hurts the argument regarding carry. It's exactly what the dumbocrats fear will happen if everyone carries a gun.

• Like 3

I don't see how, in any jurisdiction across this great country, either person should or would be able to walk out of court without some form of time incarcerated.

Putting on my asbestos underroos for this one... wearing a uniform, in any capacity, is not a get-out-of-jail-free card for being royally fucking stupid.

• Like 2

Is there more information than provided in the linked articles, because I didn't see anything about him reentering the nightclub with a gun. He was in an unsafe environment and armed himself. Are people here actually upset about that?

Is there more information than provided in the linked articles, because I didn't see anything about him reentering the nightclub with a gun. He was in an unsafe environment and armed himself. Are people here actually upset about that?

I read it the way you did. People in this state are conditioned to be such pussies that want to find fault with the guy. His only mistake was letting his friend take his firearm from him. Unless I read it wrong too he holstered his firearm, after a melee broke out, and was by his car.

For the experts in NC absolutely you can holster your sidearm when you leave the bar or nightclub. For that matter you can carry concealed in a bar or nightclub as long as you are not consuming alcoholic beverages and there is not a sign prohibiting firearms.

• Like 1

Appellate court's description of the events leading up to arrest:

At trial, defendant gave the following testimony. He was an active-duty sergeant in the Marine Corps. On December 24, he placed the gun in his personal travel bag as he was preparing to drive from Marine Corps Base Quantico to visit family in New Jersey. After he arrived in New Jersey on December 25, he met up with Wilson and they decided to go to the nightclub. Defendant placed his bag in Wilson's car. When they arrived, defendant changed into civilian clothes, and the gun fell out of his bag in the nightclub parking lot. Defendant had forgotten he had the gun in his bag. Defendant told Wilson he had the gun. He had Wilson lock the gun in the glove compartment, and he put the ammunition magazine in the trunk of Wilson's car. Defendant then went into the nightclub and bought beer for himself and Wilson.

Defendant testified that a lengthy brawl broke out in the club. The bouncers kicked everyone out of the club, but Wilson stayed inside. Defendant went into the parking lot, where officers were trying to disperse the crowd. Defendant went to Wilson's car, put a holster on his hip, removed his handgun from the glove compartment, put the gun in the holster, and put the magazine in the gun.

Defendant testified that he began to walk with the gun and his bags towards his own car, which he had lent to DJs whom he was going to drive home. Wilson wobbled toward him, apparently under the influence. Defendant saw Wilson had a very big gash on his forehead and was bleeding from being hit with a bottle. While defendant was administering pressure to stop the bleeding, Wilson pulled the gun out of defendant's holster and walked away with it. Defendant yelled and attempted to grab Wilson. Wilson then carried the gun into the confrontation with the officers.

So he didn't go back in the club, he didn't go towards the fight. He holstered his sidearm and loaded it, God Forbid he has a loaded firearm for protection. Maybe many of you would like him to keep it unloaded and use his handgun as a hammer? He went to his car. There he administered first aid to a friend. While administering the first aid the friend took his handgun and ran off. He was careless in allowing the friend to take his firearm.

Now here is the kicker if this happened in 2014 or today defendant would be covered under LEOSA as long as he wasn't intoxicated which there is no proof he was. Likely he was not since he was driving.

I stand by my previous statement that this state has conditioned most of you to be afraid of your own shadow and to try and find fault in anyone exercising their God Given Rights. The Unconstitutional Laws of this State should not need be followed. Especially by a MP who is excluded from the unconstitutional laws under LEOSA which was likely meant from the beginning in 2009, but was clearly clarified by Amendment in 2013 to includes Military Police.

For Prosperity. 7f7db8110ad43b2598cdbf4350109cad.jpg

It's bad enough making a completely false statement, but the guy who says he nailed it is even worse. NC Law specifically allows the carrying of a firearm in a bar or nightclub with CCW Permit. You just can't drink while doing so. Defendant didn't return with a load firearm. He went to his car.

It's bad enough making a completely false statement, but the guy who says he nailed it is even worse. NC Law specifically allows the carrying of a firearm in a bar or nightclub with CCW Permit. You just can't drink while doing so. Defendant didn't return with a load firearm. He went to his car.

This is correct and recently law was changed to allow this (concealed carry in restaurants/establishments with alcohol), I believe within the last 5 years or so?  Perhaps Zeke didn't know the law changed in NC - I only know because I'm moving there.  Correct you cannot be consuming alcohol whilst carrying a concealed weapon.

This is correct and recently allowed as well (concealed carry in restaurants/establishments with alcohol), I believe within the last 5 years or so? Perhaps Zeke didn't know the law changed in NC - I only know because I'm moving there. Correct you cannot be consuming alcohol whilst carrying a concealed weapon.

A simple google search will almost always provide the answer. My point was everyone's first instinct is to side with the state and not the guy who is having his God Given Rights and Freedom taken away by the State. Regardless of what the truth is.