Sign in to follow this  
9thMarines

Reloading for 32 S&W Long

Just wondering if anyone has reloaded for this caliber.  Have a S&W model 31-1, 2 inch snubbie which I haven't used a lot as factory ammo too expensive for this retiree.  Did shoot  up a box of Magtech 98 gr. wadcutters today.   Smokey stuff.

At 5 yards about half the rounds were starting to keyhole. Later found out that the Magtech has the lowest fps rating of them all at only 682 fps.   S&B is the fastest at 886 fps with 100 gr. LRN.  With the snubbie its gotta be a lot less.

With the short barrel, thinking I'd be better off using something like Rainier's 100 gr FN bullets with about 2.7 gr. of Bullseye.

which should put me up around the 850 fps area.  And the Berries are only $12 a hundred.

Any input much appreciated.      Gonna spring for a set of Lee dies for about $30.

Thanks,

Kenny

I load 32 Long. You're wasting money buying plated or jacketed bullets. Plain lead bullets are quite suitable for the velocities we're talking about. Use hard cast swcs. There available from a variety of commercial bullet casters. I use them in 327 Magnum with no severe leading problems.

The most accurate 32 Long factory load in my experience is the Lapa 98 gr wadcutter. The downside? It's about $50 a box of 50 last I looked. The brass is the best though.

Look for coated bullets. takes the lead factor out.  Missouri Bullet, Badman Bullets and others have them. Not much more than lead, and cheaper than plated or jacketed.  You'll find them at vendors who cater to the Cowboy Action crowd.  Starline Brass sells new cases in lots of 500 for around $87.00.  Easy caliber to load.

Griz and T Bill.    Thanks for the input.    The lead and coated are quite a bit less expensive.

Thats the route I'll go.   Those red coated bullets from Badman look interesting.  Might

just take them up on the $9.50 samples with free shipping.   I do love free shipping.

Thanks, guys.

Kenny

The last things you need are jacketed, plated, or HARD cast bullets.

A 10-13 BHN is more than hard enough.

Did you inspect the barrel for leading? For a L-HBWC to keyhole at 5 yards, there is something wrong. They aren't much good beyond about 35 yards, but they are as accurate as anything at 25 yards.

The main problems I have are:

1) getting any reload to be as accurate as factory (the only cartridge I have this issue)

and

2) Having  to weigh very small powder charges

For any lead bullet, be sure the bullet is a snug slip-fit in the cylinder's throats and is at least 0.001" over actual measured groove diameter. Get a Redding Profile Crimp die to apply a light roll crimp.

I use a hard cast SWC in 32 long and 327 magnum with no issues. I also get good results in those calibers with swaged bullets. Using swaged bullets will get some leading in 327. If you get your desired results with swaged or softer cast bullets fine.

Oh, yes, a L-HBWC should never be shot over 800 fps as it can separate the skirt from the rest of the bullet and you'll either get two holes in the target or you'll stick the skirt in the barrel. Also, 650-750fps is best for target accuracy.

Do not ever push any HBWC.