voyager9

Striker fired HG

So I'm in the market for a new handgun. I want a striker fired in 9mm. Theory being that I have a DA/SA now and want something different but still 9mm so I don't have to stock different ammo.

I had done some research and narrow things down to the VP9 or maybe PPQ.

I got up to Cheyenne this afternoon and was able to get my hands on both. I really like the VP9 but struggled with the smaller mag release. I'm used to the button release like the PPQ M2. I couldn't hit the paddle on the VP9 or M1 with my thumb. The M1 had a larger paddle than the VP9 and I could articulate it with my trigger finger better but still not automatic like the push button.

For folks that have both, is this a big deal or something I'd just get used to with use?

Also I wasn't a huge fan of having to hit the trigger to remove the slide. I guess this is just the nature of all striker-fired? I wasn't a fan of the take-down latch on the M1. Seemed cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I'm in the market for a new handgun. I want a striker fired in 9mm. Theory being that I have a DA/SA now and want something different but still 9mm so I don't have to stock different ammo.

I had done some research and narrow things down to the VP9 or maybe PPQ.

I got up to Cheyenne this afternoon and was able to get my hands on both. I really like the VP9 but struggled with the smaller mag release. I'm used to the button release like the PPQ M2. I couldn't hit the paddle on the VP9 or M1 with my thumb. The M1 had a larger paddle than the VP9 and I could articulate it with my trigger finger better but still not automatic like the push button.

For folks that have both, is this a big deal or something I'd just get used to with use?

Also I wasn't a huge fan of having to hit the trigger to remove the slide. I guess this is just the nature of all striker-fired? I wasn't a fan of the take-down latch on the M1. Seemed cumbersome.

Both are terrific guns.   Personally I like the HK more but I believe the PPQ has a nicer trigger out of the box.  As far as the mag release.... folks with smaller hands suffer from this all the time.  Personally I don't believe it is a big deal, just shift your hand a little bit.... or get a slim grip 1911. =)

Personally I think with an oversized, or easy to reach mag release you are more likely to inadvertently hit it.

Go shoot a few guns and pick what you like best.  More than likely you will own them all one day anyway. 

Both are terrific guns. Personally I like the HK more but I believe the PPQ has a nicer trigger out of the box. As far as the mag release.... folks with smaller hands suffer from this all the time. Personally I don't believe it is a big deal, just shift your hand a little bit.... or get a slim grip 1911. =)

Personally I think with an oversized, or easy to reach mag release you are more likely to inadvertently hit it.

Go shoot a few guns and pick what you like best. More than likely you will own them all one day anyway.

I'm in the same boat as the op

Which would you buy first?

If pulling the trigger is a complaint... the M&P has a lever to deactivate the striker. I used it once to see how it worked. Pull the trigger every other time.

Valid comment and that's kind-of what I figured. Most of this sums up as "I want something different but want to complain about the differences". Still, pulling the trigger when you don't want it to go bang seems like a counter-intuitive design.

I'm in the same boat as the op

Which would you buy first?

FYI: Cheyenne in Bordentown has the VP9 for 650 (non LE) and PPQ for 699. I haven't looked if there are better deals online, I'm sure there are.

Both are terrific guns. Personally I like the HK more but I believe the PPQ has a nicer trigger out of the box. As far as the mag release.... folks with smaller hands suffer from this all the time. Personally I don't believe it is a big deal, just shift your hand a little bit.... or get a slim grip 1911. =)

Go shoot a few guns and pick what you like best. More than likely you will own them all one day anyway.

Thanks. From a trigger perspective I've read that both are close and very good. Seems the PPQ edges out the VP9 slightly. From what I could tell today dry-firing they both seemed pretty similar, not that I'm too fussy in that respect.

Who's this Maks guy? I have a PPQ M1 and short fingers. I drop the mag with my trigger finger or middle finger. Both work equally and prevent me from shifting my grip.

• Like 1

Honestly, i dont use my thumb to release the mag on the VP9, i use my trigger finger to release it.  It works quicker that way (for me).  I was used to standard mag releases before getting it (and with other guns since then), but i got used to it very quickly. 

That said, if you prefer the standard button mag release, PPQ M2 would be something you should be looking into.  Both are fantastic guns.  If I didnt buy the VP9, I would have gotten the PPQ.  That said, I love my VP9 and its my favorite pistol. 

• Like 1

Who's this Maks guy? I have a PPQ M1 and short fingers. I drop the mag with my trigger finger or middle finger. Both work equally and prevent me from shifting my grip.

Didn't think about the middle finger. Something to try.

I have quite a few HKs, 1911 styles, etc. If you train with them enough, even if its a dry fire training, you'll get use to them. You can blind fold me, take any of my handguns, stick it in my hand and I'll know exactly what model it is and where the release is. If you just have one or two different style weapons you use and the rest are safe queens, you'll eventually get frustrated.

I always have one next to me. Every week or so I swap for a different one. I laser practice, dry fire, practice trigger discipline, etc.

This week was my HK 45.... next might be a full size 1911, then my P30, and so on. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This gun and the two you have decided on are the new hotness today. I like all 3, but the VP9 is my choice. Good luck

Great, a new choice. Thanks. You guys are supposed to help me narrow down my options! :).

Great, a new choice. Thanks. You guys are supposed to help me narrow down my options! :).

He just did. "The Veep"![emoji6]

• Like 1

Any specific reason the M&P's (Shield) isn't in your consideration?  I ask because I'm in the same boat but decided on the Performance Center Shield, especially w/ the $75 rebate S&W is having right now.

Before deciding on the Shield, I had it down to the VP9, Sig 320 and the P30SK...  The VP9SK is also looming on the horizon.  So many choices...

I'm a fan of the M&P... but like the original version with Apex over the 2.0. If you are going into the M&P now, obviously go with the 2.0. But don't sell a good gun to replace with the new version. The Shield is nice, but I have the 5" M&P40 Pro and the Compact to match. The Shield wouldn't work with those magazines... so I picked up a SUB-2000 instead that uses M&P magazines (in .40).

With that being said, I was very much let down that S&W didn't do a chassis system for the 2.0. That is what I think the future will start being. And for living in NJ, it makes it a little easier. Burn one or two permits, but be able to make a few different guns.

I've heard good about the Walther, mostly the earlier guns, but just not for me. H&K really isn't my cup of tea, either... but they did ok with the VP9. My problem with them is that I really don't feel it is worth the premium for an H&K. It is similar to my view of the classic SIG line. I'm more of a DA/SA guy, but can't rule out Glock. I love my 30S, as it is a .45 19.

I'm probably not buying another pistol in NJ... but I'm kind of narrowing it down to the SIG P320 as my next investment. They have the system that seems to be the best for the purchaser, and will likely have some traction moving forward that it will turn into a major player.

I you can rent them, I'd recommend buying whichever feels best during your range session. If not, get whichever feels best in your hands. You really can't go wrong with a VP9 or a PPQ. For my first handgun, I narrowed it down to VP9, P320 and PPQ in that order. I was convinced at one point that I would buy all 3, but the budget dictated only two. My first 9mm was my VP9 LE and I recently picked up a P320 Compact.

Btw, with the VP9 mag release, I either use my trigger finger, or since I hold my gun with both hands, I hit it with my support hand and grab the magazine in one fluid motion. I also can't reach it with my stubby thumb if I don't break my grip.