voyager9

Striker fired HG

I have a PPQ M2 and I don't have large hands - small backstrap works perfect. Trigger is amazing. However I want to get a nice stipple job from Lane Owens since it's not as gripped as my other polymer pistols. Ergonomics and shootability are on point.

I have a P320 Compact in 45ACP (9+1) and I love this pistol however Sig has extreme supply chain issues in case you wanted a different grip size or color as they come with one size in the box and replacement shells are $45

Luckily my 45 came with a small as I couldn't do the medium. Great shooter and soft for it's size. I may pick up a Compact in 9mm down the line as well.

VP9 has all sizes in the box. As does Glock although my Glocks I never need backstraps. I currently have a 19 and 26.

Shield 45 has all the improvements the 9mm should have but it's got a bigger cartridge. After rebate and transfer you can get one for $300. Add some night sights and Apex trigger for $200 and you have 90% of the PC center version (lowest I've seen with night sights is $600 shipped) - really considering getting one.

I'm also on the HK boards and want to dive in to the HK world I'll be shooting my buddies VP9 tomorrow it may help me take the plunge. I was going to "switch it up" and get a P30, maybe with LEM trigger as I'm not really a manual safety guy but I'm not sure if I can justify the $350 price spread. And yes VP9SK is coming in a couple weeks dealers are already taking orders. And they will take 15rd VP9 mags as backups.

I have a P320 Compact in 45ACP (9+1) and I love this pistol however Sig has extreme supply chain issues in case you wanted a different grip size or color as they come with one size in the box and replacement shells are $45

I have the P320SC in 9mm.  It is my EDC now. I love it.  I use 15rnd mags with an X-Grip Spacer, which adds more rnds per mag, and it keeps my entire hand gripped on it.

I'm not gonna lie I have been on a striker craze lately (PPQ, P320, G19, G26), and the VP9 is so tempting as Ray Ray mentions it every other thread and I FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING OUT -

I'm debating going with the tried and true HK hammer fired designs though, maybe a P30L like John Wick - Cost of entry is insane compared to VP9 though, like $350 higher...

So I'm in the market for a new handgun. I want a striker fired in 9mm. Theory being that I have a DA/SA now and want something different but still 9mm so I don't have to stock different ammo.

I had done some research and narrow things down to the VP9 or maybe PPQ.

I got up to Cheyenne this afternoon and was able to get my hands on both. I really like the VP9 but struggled with the smaller mag release. I'm used to the button release like the PPQ M2. I couldn't hit the paddle on the VP9 or M1 with my thumb. The M1 had a larger paddle than the VP9 and I could articulate it with my trigger finger better but still not automatic like the push button.

For folks that have both, is this a big deal or something I'd just get used to with use?

Also I wasn't a huge fan of having to hit the trigger to remove the slide. I guess this is just the nature of all striker-fired? I wasn't a fan of the take-down latch on the M1. Seemed cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real (non-smartass) question. What is the advantage of a Glock over a gun that you can carry like a Glock, or like a 1911, or all of the above with a decocker?

Same first to 1000th trigger pull. A plus

1000th time I've heard this. Why, outside of competition, is that desirable? And why not have the option of same 1 through 1000, or cocked and locked, or da/sa if that's your thing?

1000th time I've heard this. Why, outside of competition, is that desirable? And why not have the option of same 1 through 1000, or cocked and locked, or da/sa if that's your thing?

You can get sigs in dao.

Cocked and locked and striker fired are basically the same thing. Trigger safety or manual safety.

The safest part of the gun is the mind.

It's all what your comfortable with. Currently I'm becoming more comfortable with a striker for sd.

My wife, not soo much.

If you shoot a da to an sa do you notice a difference with shot one vs shot dos?

( like with a Sig, I don't think I'm describing it correctly)

Duress falls back to muscle memory.

It's all what your comfortable with. Currently I'm becoming more comfortable with a striker for sd.

My wife, not soo much

Good point. If someone is not comfortable storing or carrying with a round in the chamber then Sa/da basically becomes Sao since they have to rack the slide to get a round into battery, which will make it SA.

Same for striker: the differences are largely moot if they don't store/carry with a chambered round.

Good point. If someone is not comfortable storing or carrying with a round in the chamber then Sa/da basically becomes Sao since they have to rack the slide to get a round into battery, which will make it SA.

Same for striker: the differences are largely moot if they don't store/carry with a chambered round.

This is where seconds count.

And training.

Firearm specific training. Rule that gets salad tossed around" 2000 hrs of anything, you become an expert at that anything "

If you do it correctly the first time, and it's summation. I'd add

If one isn't secure with carrying with a round in the chamber why would you carry at all?  IMO - the bad guy isn't waiting for you to rack your slide - Either carry a striker and practice your draw stroke and keep that trigger finger rigid, or get an HK/Sig/Beretta etc with a decocker and carry chambered with first pull DA - IMO the HK setup is probably best of both worlds, rack slide, decock the hammer, holster - or their LEM setup which has a bobbed hammer which you can thumb when drawing the pistol - both are great options (as I've been learning a lot about HK's lately)

If one isn't secure with carrying with a round in the chamber why would you carry at all?  IMO - the bad guy isn't waiting for you to rack your slide - Either carry a striker and practice your draw stroke and keep that trigger finger rigid, or get an HK/Sig/Beretta etc with a decocker and carry chambered with first pull DA - IMO the HK setup is probably best of both worlds, rack slide, decock the hammer, holster - or their LEM setup which has a bobbed hammer which you can thumb when drawing the pistol - both are great options (as I've been learning a lot about HK's lately)

Sort of what I was saying/asking. If a gun offers all three possibilities (conditions 0, 1, 2) why choose one that only offers 0 unless 1) it's for competition or 2) you're planning to visit a war zone? I repeat this is a sincere question not a knock on striker-fired guns or people who like them. 

To answer your opening question is there a difference between a round chambered and a 12-lb first pull and a 3 or 2 lb pull? 

I think the answer altogether is what you are comfortable with - some don't like manual safeties at all (me), I don't mind DA/SA with a decocking function, however I have zero issues with my striker pistol of choice (Glock) for carry - very distinct takeup which is not as light as PPQ, VP9, etc -

No difference to me except to help in an adrenaline situation (12lb DA pull vs 3 lb SA pull) - I'd be the wrong person to ask about a cocked and locked scenario as its not for me -

Either carry scenario needs to be trained often, with hammer fired I would definitely decock though and deal with a long, harder DA pull on first shot - no further comment from me on manual safeties.

I shot a VP9 a couple of times and was always considering buying one.  On BlackFriday PSA was selling them for $449 w/free shipping so I said F it and got one.  What an awesome decision on my part.  I was and still am totally an M&P guy having also just jumped into the MRDS/handgun world with a ProCORE, but I am having serious discussions with myself having shot the VP9 more extensively.  

I just installed the Lobos trigger in my VP9 along with the HK Parts competition spring and holy poop!  Easily the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt! A little heavier than my Apex equipped M&P9s but way more crisp.  I would say it is on par with a AR15 G-SSA for crispness of brake.  Now it would seem that an optics ready VP9 is around the corner, this may be what pushes me over the edge and away from the M&P.  Sucks cause I have about 30 15rd M&P9 mags and VP9 magazines are way more $ lol.  Oh well. 

Get the VP9 dude!

I shot a VP9 a couple of times and was always considering buying one. On BlackFriday PSA was selling them for $449 w/free shipping so I said F it and got one. What an awesome decision on my part. I was and still am totally an M&P guy having also just jumped into the MRDS/handgun world with a ProCORE, but I am having serious discussions with myself having shot the VP9 more extensively.

I just installed the Lobos trigger in my VP9 along with the HK Parts competition spring and holy poop! Easily the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt! A little heavier than my Apex equipped M&P9s but way more crisp. I would say it is on par with a AR15 G-SSA for crispness of brake. Now it would seem that an optics ready VP9 is around the corner, this may be what pushes me over the edge and away from the M&P. Sucks cause I have about 30 15rd M&P9 mags and VP9 magazines are way more $ lol. Oh well.

Get the VP9 dude!

Never heard of the trigger. Where you find it and the parts?

I just installed the Lobos trigger in my VP9 along with the HK Parts competition spring and holy poop! Easily the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt!

Great. Now I have upgrade options in addition to handgun options. :)

• Like 1

Gramgun has this problem, I think he views it as an opportunity though.

Oh true. I doth protest too much. I think I've decided on The VP9. Now waiting on permit and hoping we didn't spend my handgun money on landscaping.

Oh true. I doth protest too much. I think I've decided on The VP9. Now waiting on permit and hoping we didn't spend my handgun money on landscaping.

You could solve that problem by going to a shop and buying the VP9 before your permits are approved. Quite a number of shops will do it.