Joe Dirt

Looking to buy a Aimpoint

I have bought and used a lot of optics designed for CQB - Midrange engagement. The Aimpoint Pro is hands down the best optic out there for engaging targets inside 200 yards with the T1 being a close second (if they were priced the same the T1 would be a better choice as it is significantly lighter and has a smaller footprint).

You may find something cheaper, but nothing out there that is a better value than the PRO.

I personally prefer the tube size of the PRO VS the micros... I own 2 Aimpoint PROs because they are that good.. NO complaints..

I have 3 T1s, 2 PROs, an M4, an EOTech, a Trijicon RMR and an Insight MRDS and I prefer the T1s hands down.

Do you prefer the length of the tube or the diameter of the PRO over the Micro?

I have 3 T1s, 2 PROs, an M4, an EOTech, a Trijicon RMR and an Insight MRDS and I prefer the T1s hands down.

Do you prefer the length of the tube or the diameter of the PRO over the Micro?

diameter... I have had Aimpoint micros.. and the larger tube just feels faster for me..

I have two Aimpoint Micros and as far as I am concerned they are the best money I've spent on my firearms. They are absolutely amazing.

However I Can see the attraction of the Aimpoint PRO and will probably add one or two down the road because of their incredible value. I would add though you might need better or at least different mounts. For example , If I add an Aimpoint to the new Saiga 12, I would really prefer a Micro for its perfect size and incredibly light weight. BUT A PRO Will work, you just need to buy a low mount at the cost of like $77 bucks. But $477 is still significantly less than $600 and of course you get the larger diameter glass, you get night vision compatibility (On the most expensive $700- 700+ T-1 does that in Micro line) , and you also get the more substantial mount with a PRO than you get with a Micro (but in that case you'd need to change).

For someone wanting to pop a red dot sight on like an AR-15 type rifle, its the best of the best value you can do.

diameter... I have had Aimpoint micros.. and the larger tube just feels faster for me..

I see no difference in times or accuracy between the PRO and the T1. IMO, with both eyes open the diameter of the tube becomes a non-issue as far as field of view is concerned.

For example , If I add an Aimpoint to the new Saiga 12, I would really prefer a Micro for its perfect size and incredibly light weight. BUT A PRO Will work, you just need to buy a low mount at the cost of like $77 bucks. But $477 is still significantly less than $600 and of course you get the larger diameter glass, you get night vision compatibility (On the most expensive $700- 700+ T-1 does that in Micro line) , and you also get the more substantial mount with a PRO than you get with a Micro (but in that case you'd need to change).

The OEM mount on the PRO is modular. You should be able to take the riser, the section with all the holes in it, and remove it using an Allen key. This lets you attach the optic directly to the mount using the shorter screws that were in the box the optic came in, giving you a low mount suitableb for shotguns, AK variants, and the like.

Edited to add response to Vlad.

Edited by High Exposure

Thanks but when I checked it out it didn't really work the way I want it in my head, I am referring to this type of mount.

http://www.opticspla...wide-rings.html

If you check out this thread on HK Pro you can see the Aimpoint PRO with this mount and how it looks on an HK USC

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/156964-optic-ump-hk-website-3.html

... That is actually how i started looking at the Aimpoint PRO's... in October I had some dough and I came close to buying an HK USC but I could not find one at a decent price. everyone I talked to wanted to charge an arm and a leg when they were going for $1200 less than 6 months prior. I guess everyone did the right thing because in a month they most likely skyrockted like everything else.

But Anyway on that site you can see a few beautiful USC/UMP pics with an Aimpoint PRO w/ the low ring style mount and it really looks not only badass but is perfect imho for using the PRO On a forward mount/quad rail on a Saiga 12 / AK type rifle . I don't think the included mount can do this but if it can just show me, I would be happy to save that money of course.

I have two Aimpoint Micros and as far as I am concerned they are the best money I've spent on my firearms. They are absolutely amazing.

However I Can see the attraction of the Aimpoint PRO and will probably add one or two down the road because of their incredible value. I would add though you might need better or at least different mounts. For example , If I add an Aimpoint to the new Saiga 12, I would really prefer a Micro for its perfect size and incredibly light weight. BUT A PRO Will work, you just need to buy a low mount at the cost of like $77 bucks. But $477 is still significantly less than $600 and of course you get the larger diameter glass, you get night vision compatibility (On the most expensive $700- 700+ T-1 does that in Micro line) , and you also get the more substantial mount with a PRO than you get with a Micro (but in that case you'd need to change).

For someone wanting to pop a red dot sight on like an AR-15 type rifle, its the best of the best value you can do.

If ur gunna add an optic to a saiga 12 give r and r targets a call. I decided to go with a Burris fastfire 3. Its not the prettiest mount but appears solid and extremely light.

I see no difference in times or accuracy between the PRO and the T1. IMO, with both eyes open the diameter of the tube becomes a non-issue as far as field of view is concerned.

The OEM mount on the PRO is modular. You should be able to take the riser, the section with all the holes in it, and remove it using an Allen key. This lets you attach the optic directly to the mount using the shorter screws that were in the box the optic came in, giving you a low mount suitableb for shotguns, AK variants, and the like.

Edited to add response to Vlad.

I shoot with both open... the Pro just works better for me.. except on an AK with the optic way out in front.. then I preferred the micro..

Now that I've had sufficient time with my PRO, its a tough call between a PRO and T1. Like HE said, if the two were priced the same, I'd go with the T1-- but for the value, a PRO hands-down.

A PRO vs. Vortex? I couldn't honestly say as I've only fired a friend's who had a Vortex. Seems well enough for range purposes; but I'm not sure how robust the Vortex is long-term. I have nothing against Vortex (owned some of their glass), I just can't judge that specific product. In a vacuum though, I'd take my PRO over most products on the market in a heartbeat.

I didn't do a lot of searching but found the below link. What did guys buy the one's for in the group buy? Does this price compare??

http://www.officerst...CFULf4AodmD8AwA

Thats the lowest I have seen the last month, except for midway 405 free shipping.

Same price on ebay w free shipping.

Basically it's $400 about the best you can do. I saw PRO's for like $370 once on a super-special Deal Of The Day type thing but it was sold out before I even got to the website let alone started processing an attempt to buy one (if I had the dough at the time, that's another story.).

but when you consider what you get for $400, its pretty much 'full size', comes with a fine, serviceable mount IMHO (Although there are the LaRue / ARMS/ ETC. type 'snobs' aka enthusiasts who won't go w/o their LaRue etc. type mounts), its' night vision compatible, can put a kill flash on, has the newest battery life technology etc. it's really a STEAL considering the M2/M3/M4 ML2 ML3 are all significantly more expensive and also require a $100-$200 mount , it's probably the best overall Quality-to-Price Ratio aka Value-for-dollar-in-Scrappy-speak in non magnified optics.

Midway has them with free shipping on optics. The Pro fits that deal.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I wanted an aimpoint micro for my S&W 500, in one of my incredibly rare moves i cheaped out and bought a bushnell red dot from walmart for $100. After the first outing with it, it came lose and the glass somehow cracked on the front lens. It had never been hit with anything or dropped or put down funny, it's just not that high quality enough to with stand the recoil. I really wish i had bought an aimpoint.