Jump to content

Steve from NJ/FL

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Feedback


Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Steve from NJ/FL

  • Rank
    Forum Dabbler

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. i'm looking for an experienced gunsmith (preferably in Ocean County) to install new sights and a new beavertail grip safety on a Colt 1911. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks, Steve
  2. Wow, that's good to know. You just saved me a lot of headache and some money. Thanks, Steve
  3. I like your answer. but... I didn't live in FL when I bought the gun there. I simply had a FL residence. So, if I understand your answer correctly, that would mean anyone with a home in NJ and FL could bring (and possess) handguns purchased in FL to NJ without needing a NJ Handgun Purchase Permit. That seems like a big loophole in NJ law. I can't imagine they would allow that, although I'd be very glad if they would. I don't want to overthink this, but everything I read about the NJ gun laws, and how they are enforced, makes me want to be very careful in my interpretations. Thanks for you responses. Steve
  4. I purchased a handgun in FL (legally purchased as a resident of Florida). I own a second home in NJ and I would like to also have it "legal" in NJ. I already have an approved NJ handgun purchase permit. Can I drive the handgun to NJ and go to a NJ FFL and "register" it through that FFL using my NJ handgun purchase permit? Or, do I have to use a FL FFL to ship it to a NJ FFL, and then pick it up at the NJ FFL using my NJ handgun purchase permit? Also, when going from my home in NJ to a shooting range in NJ with a handgun, do I need to carry proof with me showing that the handgun was legally acquired with a NJ purchase permit in NJ, or does the State have an electronic record that a police officer could use to confirm the legal purchase? Thanks for your help. Steve
  5. Thanks to everyone for all the responses. They are very helpful. SJG: I agree with everything you posted, as it is consistent with my research in NJ and Fed. statutes, and NJ State Police website, etc. I am fortunate that I was recently able to retire and make FL my state of domicile. I can't take all the NJ regulations, taxes, etc. anymore. I'm fine with just spending my summers at the Jersey shore and the rest of my time in FL. I'll love NJ, but enough is enough. By the way, I found this NJ statute that suggests you need to file for a new FID when there is a change of residence, if you want to continue to use your FID. There may be some FFLs that don't care if the FID and drivers license addresses don't match, but the law seems to require it. I think I'm just going to apply for a new FID with my FL address. N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 DUPLICATE FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence. (b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent in all other cases. (c) It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq. (P.L. 1985, c.69). Regards, Steve
  6. Does the address on your NJ FID match the address on your FL driver's license? I think once I get my FID updated to have my FL address I will be OK.
  7. Thanks for your comments. But, I am a bit confused. I thought what I wanted to do was perfectly legal in NJ, but based on the last two comments, it seems like I need to be careful when I drive in NJ, which suggests I am doing something that's not perfectly legal. Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks in advance. Steve
  8. I have a “simple” NJ gun transport question (at least I thought it was simple). I legally purchased a handgun in NJ (I had a handgun permit, FID card, etc.,) while a NJ resident. I have since become a Florida domiciled resident, but I still maintain a home in NJ . Note: While I still possess my NJ FID card, it is no longer valid because the address on it does not match the address on my Florida license. I will be applying for a new FID as soon as I return back to NJ. Can I drive my legally purchased NJ handgun back and forth between Florida and NJ? I know I can drive it to Florida from NJ, it's the other way around that is unclear to me. Based on my research (looking at NJ guns laws, NJ State Police website, etc.), I believe I can do the following: 1. I can transport the gun into NJ (from FL) as long as it is unloaded and locked in a case and not accessible to me, AND once I enter NJ I must drive directly to my NJ residence (except for "reasonable deviations”). 2. I believe the same is true of ammo that I purchased in NJ (then brought to Florida and want to return back to NJ). Can anyone confirm - - or otherwise correct - - my understanding? I thought there were enough NJ/FL dual residents that this issue would have been discussed/resolved already. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
  • Create New...