Instructions from the NJSP website - http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/072913_firearms_app_procedure.pdf
FIREARMS APPLICANT PROCEDURE
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!
(Improperly prepared applications will not be accepted or processed)
1. Type or Print all information clearly, on all forms.
2. All addresses must be complete with house number, street (P.O. Box) town, state,
and zip code.
3. All forms must be signed. It is requested you complete this in the presence of the
law enforcement officer where you are submitting the application to.
4. Return all completed and unused forms.
5. Height shall be in feet and inches
6. Indicate Race with either Asian, Black, American Indian or White.
7. If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the
quantity of permits you may apply for.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a
violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result
in criminal charges against you.
First Time Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun
1. All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be
completed by Morpho Trak. This information and appointment form will be
provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
2. Complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search, form S.P. 66 (Rev.
3. Complete a State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification
Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, Form STS-033 (Rev. 09/09).
4. References should not be relatives, and addresses must be complete, for mailing
Subsequent Applicants for Additional Permits to Purchase a Handgun or Duplicate
Firearms Purchaser Cards
1. A Criminal History Records Check must be conducted on all subsequent
2. Criminal History Check- fee is $18.00 (MUST BE!- Certified Check, Cashier’s
Check, or Money Order) Payable to: DIVISION OF STATE POLICE- S.B.I.
(State Police S.B.I will not accept cash or personal checks)
3. All Applicants must complete the Request for Criminal History Record
Information for Noncriminal Justice Purpose, form SBI 212A (Rev. 03/06).
4. Additional purchase permit applicants must fill out the State of New Jersey
Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase
Permit, Form STS-033 (Rev. 09/09).
5. Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card duplicate card, i.e.,
mutilated, lost or stolen, change of address, name and/or sex, must complete form
STS-033 as noted above.
6. All applicants must complete the Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66
7. Current issued I.D. card shall be surrendered at the time of submission of new
1. Firearms ID Card- $ 5.00- Initial Only, no fee for a duplicate card.
2. Permit to Purchase a Handgun- $ 2.00 each
(These fees may be paid by check, or money order payable to the law enforcement
agency where the application is submitted.)
If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the
quantity of permits you may apply for.
3. Criminal History Check- fee is $18.00 - Only required after you have been
initially fingerprinted. I.E. - Duplicate Firearms ID Card, Permit to Purchase a
(MUST BE!- Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, or Money Order)
4. Morpho Trak - Information to include appointments and fees will be provided
upon submission of a correctly completed application.
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun (The following instructions are the same for the
initial and renewal application)
1. Complete a State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun,
form S. P. 642 (Rev. 02/09) in triplicate. All references must know the applicant
for a minimum of three years prior to the date of the application.
2. All original copies must be notarized.
3. Submit four color passport size photographs with your application package.
4. Complete the Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 11/07).
5. Submit in writing a justifiable reason / need for the issuance of a permit to carry a
handgun. This must be detailed. Armored car guards shall obtain this from the
C.E.O. of the company they are employed by. This shall also be notarized.
6. Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your
application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and
must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor.
7. A money order in the amount of $20.00 payable to, “Treasurer - State of New
8. All armored car guard applications shall be submitted to the appropriate New
Jersey State Police Barracks. All others shall be submitted to the law enforcement
agency where the applicant resides. If your town of residence is covered by a
State Police barracks on a full time basis, submit to that barracks. If part time,
submit to that municipal police department. All out of state applicants must
submit to the closest New Jersey State Police Barracks (not to include New Jersey
State Police Barracks located on toll roads) to where they are geographically
*If you are in need of further assistance or direction, conta