xXxplosive

.....another Wing Nut.

Rlsmedia.com has an article on this. (Am unable to copy/paste the exact link.). 
Man was there with two friends to target shoot.  He fired “a few rounds”  downrange, then turned the gun on himself in an apparent suicide attempt. Per police , not believed to be an accident or horse play. 

Tragic.

I assume there's cameras there to show what happened. Doesn't say if the gun was a rental. Will that be the new restriction at ranges, you can't rent unless you have your own also? Many already require a FID and prohibit rentals to people by themselves.

Simple fact is if a person wants to commit suicide at a range there's really no way to stop them.

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/shooting-union-gun-range-under-investigation-injuries

• Agree 1

I feel bad for the people who witnessed it.  Its like a live feed horror clip  that lives inside your head.

45 years later I can still see it playing out in slow motion in my  mind.   jmho

This will just be another check mark for the anti gunners wish list.

6 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Rlsmedia.com has an article on this. (Am unable to copy/paste the exact link.). 
Man was there with two friends to target shoot.  He fired “a few rounds”  downrange, then turned the gun on himself in an apparent suicide attempt. Per police , not believed to be an accident or horse play. 

Lucky he decided to go it alone and not want company.........omo.

8 hours ago, kc17 said:

Simple fact is if a person wants to commit suicide at a range there's really no way to stop them.

59 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

if they want to kill themselves, let them

Sadly, this is the truth. If someone wants to commit suicide, there's not much you can do to stop them. Remember, firearms are only used in 50% of attempts. There's many other options/methods.

This incident will just be used again to try and show an inanimate object (the gun) is the main issue.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I can't understand how you shoot yourself in the head and wind up in a hospital in serious condition!  R Budd Dwyer demonstrated the proper way to do it on live TV!

I was late teens when i saw that live on tv.  I was like wth.  Thats some wild stuff took it out of a paper envelope. Then blam.  So is life. 

• Agree 2

Well he was not a loner and there with other friends and a loner might be  a red flag.  I would imagine that if the gun wasn't rented that he used one of his friends' firearms if he didn't own one.  A range would be more inclined to rent to a group of people (having fun).  Has anyone ever committed suicide with his own gun at a range when he could choose just about any place, unless he wanted an audience or wanted someone to try and save him (or her)?  

I am speculating, but the problems we are having with our culture, government, media, lockdowns, etc... will provide a rash of shortened lives with the subsequent increase in mental illness.   

I am not so sure I would refer to an ill person as a wing nut though the term is being used correctly..  

• Like 1

Very strange he invited friends, what comes to my mind is those friends may have done him wrong in the past and this was his way to get even. Makes me wonder if he said anything before pulling trigger That is a question that needs to be asked. 

12 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I can't understand how you shoot yourself in the head and wind up in a hospital in serious condition!

You would be surprised.

Back in the early 90's I worked Jersey City EMS and we had a guy one Sunday morning blow the front of his face off.  He had put the revolver in his mouth and pointed it up, just a little too much "up" though.

3 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

.....yup, Wing Nut......who invites their friends to their suicide......omo.

2 hours ago, tony357 said:

Very strange he invited friends, what comes to my mind is those friends may have done him wrong in the past and this was his way to get even. Makes me wonder if he said anything before pulling trigger That is a question that needs to be asked. 

The thing is, rational, sane people are trying to justify these actions. When someone is mentally ill,  it's almost impossible for a rational person to understand or justify. We can speculate all we want, but unless someone knows EXACTLY what was going on in his head and what his personal demons are, all we are doing is making a judgemental call, with zero facts.

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

I am speculating, but the problems we are having with our culture, government, media, lockdowns, etc... will provide a rash of shortened lives with the subsequent increase in mental illness.   

Substance abuse, overdoses and suicides are WAY up since all these lockdowns have been implemented.

• Like 1

Sad. It’s a well run facility for the most part, you can’t rent alone or even shoot your own gun alone there unless you have a valid FID - I suppose they figure if you have an FID you went through a background check so are low risk. 

Wonder if they’ll change that policy now.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, carl_g said:

Gosh. This is horrible. I feel for the staff and anyone else who was in the range when this happened.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, kc17 said:

Tragic.  I assume there's cameras there to show what happened. Doesn't say if the gun was a rental. Will that be the new restriction at ranges, you can't rent unless you have your own also? Many already require a FID and prohibit rentals to people by themselves.  Simple fact is if a person wants to commit suicide at a range there's really no way to stop them.

On 11/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, silverado427 said:

I feel bad for the people who witnessed it.  Its like a live feed horror clip  that lives inside your head.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, Bomber said:

Probably a white male.  Suicide is very popular among white males these days. Understandably so.   

On 11/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, Sniper said:

Sadly, this is the truth. If someone wants to commit suicide, there's not much you can do to stop them. Remember, firearms are only used in 50% of attempts.

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

Well he was not a loner and there with other friends and a loner might be  a red flag.  I would imagine that if the gun wasn't rented that he used one of his friends' firearms if he didn't own one.  I am speculating, but the problems we are having with our culture, government, media, lockdowns, etc... will provide a rash of shortened lives with the subsequent increase in mental illness.   

12 hours ago, father-of-three said:

So sad.  I remember not too long ago when the same thing happened in Flemington.

11 hours ago, Sniper said:

The thing is, rational, sane people are trying to justify these actions. When someone is mentally ill,  it's almost impossible for a rational person to understand or justify. We can speculate all we want, but unless someone knows EXACTLY what was going on in his head and what his personal demons are, all we are doing is making a judgemental call, with zero facts.  Substance abuse, overdoses and suicides are WAY up since all these lockdowns have been implemented.

@carl_g, @kc17, @silverado427, @Bomber, @Sniper, @Underdogand @father-of-three.

You all make very sensible and valid points on this tragic event.

For what it is worth, once again, I want to express my shock and sadness regarding the news of this most unfortunate recent event.  Many of us on NJGF are well aware of the multiple suicides committed by young men at indoor gun ranges in NJ that have occurred in just the past 4-5 years, (i.e. Gun For Hire, Tactical Training Ctr. and RTSP/Randolph, etc…),  They have either rented a handgun or used a handgun of someone who owns one and shared it with them at the range.  As a result of these awful suicides at gun ranges, a number of gun range owners, working as a consortium, have instituted policy changes that were a joint-effort with the NSSF and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

As I believe most of us understand, if someone is determined to shoot themselves it is almost impossible to stop them.  Suicide will never go away and it is a shame that a disturbed individual, regardless of whether or not they are a new or a repeat customer, chooses to attempt or succeed in this sad selfish act in a public forum surrounded by many other innocent people, whether it is a gun range or other public and populated venue.  They expose other innocent bystanders to witness their horrible desperate act, as well as potentially putting those people in physical harm’s way.  As I have said in other related threads, I believe anyone who chooses to attempt or succeed in this sad act of suicide-by-gun, in a gun range, (a semi-public setting), is being incredibly selfish, not caring how their suicide death by shooting themselves will profoundly and adversely affect all of their friends and loved ones, let alone the other innocent people who happen to be nearby at the gun range.

As a previous member of RTSP, along with my wife, we have the highest regard and respect for everyone at RTSP, from the ownership partners, management, RSO’s, sales, training and gunsmith staff. We understand that the process and procedures that RTSP and other gun ranges have put into effect and will possibly modify again, in a further attempt to reduce the chances for this type of incident of being repeated, are the “cost” of doing business.  We will certainly abide by whatever additional rules and regulations they institute to attempt to avoid a repeat or similar incident in the future. While some may find these new rules inconvenient it is their business to run as they see fit, abiding by ever more intrusive insurance requirements.  Everyone at RTSP has our sincere condolences and best wishes on dealing with the aftermath of this tragic event.

I think we all agree that suicide is a tragic choice made by someone who, for various complicated reasons, either at the low end, wants to call attention to themselves and/or at the extreme end, does not want to live any longer.  Looking at the factual statistics, the majority of gun deaths are suicides, and just over half of suicides involve guns.  I do not blame firearms for suicides, which is a ludicrous assertion.  Firearms are the tool of choice, selected and used by SOME people, mostly males, to commit suicide, since it is usually a very effective and efficient tool, with immediate results.

The stark factual statistics show that for the past several years in the USA, there have been approximately 31,000+ deaths via guns per year, with about one-third being homicides and over two-thirds being suicides.  According to national health statistics, 24,432 Americans used guns to kill themselves in 2018, up from 19,392 in 2010.  For people who try to end their lives with a gun, they are successful in approx. 85% of the time and the majority of these people are white males. (This factual information is from the Center for Disease Control (CDC's) web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System, (WISQARS), which is an interactive, online database that provides fatal and nonfatal injury, violent death, and cost of injury data from a variety of trusted sources, along with the National Violent Death Reporting System, both of which use data compiled that is around 2-3 years old).

I share the concern of others, that now almost 9 months since the coronavirus pandemic began and the incredible disruption it has caused, specifically the growing economic dislocation and mental despair, could be the recipe for even more attempted/successful suicides.  We know that gun sales have risen steadily since March 2020.  The on/off/on shutdowns aimed at containing the virus have disrupted lives, destroyed small businesses and led to social isolation.  There have been a number of studies that have shown an increase in personal anxiety, sadness and fear could push someone into a real crisis, especially if they are already suffering from some form of mental illness.  Therefore, I am concerned that we may very well see an increase in the number of these attempted/successful suicide-by-gun, not just in NJ, but nationally…

AVB-AMG

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

There have been a number of studies that have shown an increase in personal anxiety, sadness and fear could push someone into a real crisis, especially if they are already suffering from some form of mental illness.  Therefore, I am concerned that we may very well see an increase in the number of these attempted/successful suicide-by-gun, not just in NJ, but nationally…

I agree with everything that you said, except... I think we will see an increase in successful "suicides", period

In many states (including our own), we've made a TRAGIC error in how we've handled this pandemic, and we continue to double down on the stupidity. Shutting down society, destroying people's businesses, putting people out of work - and increasing despair, drug abuse, domestic violence, and suicidal ideation - is no way to run things. 

I feel horrible for the young man (yes, I do, despite his selfish act!), his family and friends, customers who were present, the RSOs, the owners. It's truly a terrible thing.

9 minutes ago, geekLa said:

At RTSP, and many other ranges, the policy is that you can't shoot alone without an FID.  

Not true....

You cannot shoot alone and rent a firearm..... if you bring your own firearm you may shoot alone

https://www.rtsponline.com/range-rules/

• Like 1

Heard that RST?.....is a high anxiety joint......wondering how he did this with the RO's perched on your shoulder like parrots....not the first time for them either, who owns this place anyway Dr. Kavorkian......and very high priced I'm told......I'd never shoot in a joint like that......never.