xXxplosive

.....another Wing Nut.

11 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

In many states (including our own), the governor made a TRAGIC error in how he's handled this pandemic, and he continues to double down on the stupidity. Shutting down society, destroying people's businesses, putting people out of work - and increasing despair, drug abuse, domestic violence, and suicidal ideation - is no way to run things.

FIFY.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

Not true....

You cannot shoot alone and rent a firearm..... if you bring your own firearm you may shoot alone

https://www.rtsponline.com/range-rules/

YMMV. I’ve seen members get denied access to port with their own guns, alone without their FID on them.  Depends on the range counter attendant I guess. 

5 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Heard that RST?.....is a high anxiety joint......wondering how he did this with the RO's perched on your shoulder like parrots....not the first time for them either, who owns this place anyway Dr. Kavorkian......and very high priced I'm told......I'd never shoot in a joint like that......never.

I was a member for over 5 years and never remember having an RSO perched over my shoulder. They were professional courteous and helpful when asked. I would still be a member if not for a change in jobs, their operating hours change and stupid Covid  restrictions.

I still recommend them to people regardless of the very occasional tragedy that has happened at their facilities.

• Agree 2

In reality, how often do these tragic situations happen? How many people float through the ranges every week/month/year and then we get one of these incidences?

I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Or, surprised some young kid does go all "Call of Duty" and fire down the line at all the other patrons.

2 hours ago, brucin said:

I was a member for over 5 years and never remember having an RSO perched over my shoulder. They were professional courteous and helpful when asked. I would still be a member if not for a change in jobs, their operating hours change and stupid Covid  restrictions.

I still recommend them to people regardless of the very occasional tragedy that has happened at their facilities.

One of my sons was invited by a friend to shoot there last month....laughingly he told me he would never go back there again...fired 3 rounds in succession and the RO's were all over their port like flies...high anxiety absolutely describes this joint and the prices are rediculous......nope, maybe for beginners....not for anyone with experience...you go shoot with John Q Public and rented guns.....are you kiddin' me.......no thanks, never....omo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

One of my sons was invited by a friend to shoot there last month....laughingly he told me he would never go back there again...fired 3 rounds in succession and the RO's were all over their port like flies...high anxiety absolutely describes this joint and the prices are rediculous......nope, maybe for beginners....not for anyone with experience...you go shoot with John Q Public and rented guns.....are you kiddin' me.......no thanks, never....omo.

@xXxplosive:

You are making a number of strong assertions, having never been to RTSP yourself and just relying on what your son conveyed to you as his one time experience.  Maybe you may want to consider giving them a break and then see for yourself, first hand and then decide.  Yes, RTSP is expensive compared to many other ranges, but I find that you usually get what you pay for and I have been pleased with my experiences at their ranges in both Randolph and Union.  IMHO, they are one of the best gun ranges/gun retailers/firearm retailers in NJ.

I do agree with you that there is an added risk of shooting at any public gun range with others who are new to firearms, first-time shooters and folks who just walk in, (drive in), off the street to shoot.  That is why when I was a member I would only go there to shoot during the members-only hours, since it was usually less crowded. Yet, more importantly, I was confident and perceived that almost all of the other members there with me were knowledgeable and experienced gun enthusiasts who knew the range rules and practiced safe operating procedures.  If I wanted to practice drawing from my holster and double-tapping a target at various distances, I would tell the Range Safety Officer (RSO), that is what I would like to do and would ask their permission first.  Showing respect and courtesy usually allows you to do what you want within reason....

Frankly, like @brucin, I decided not to renew my membership at RTSP once the COVID-19 virus pandemic shut down the gun ranges, as a purely economic choice.  When the state of NJ finally allowed them to reopen, the imposed as well as the voluntary restrictions instituted just did not make it worth it for me to rejoin at that time.  I do look forward to re-upping my membership sometime in the second half of 2021, once life begins to return to some semblance of normalcy.

AVB-AMG

• Agree 2

Get a life and join a real gun club.... don't waste your money on some in-door, beginner facility....actually one of my neighbors was a member there and he agreed with everything my son said...RO's are like flies over there hovering around the ports......that's because they know to trust no one who goes there to shoot.....that high priced shooting gallery  would never be for me.....never.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:56 PM, 67gtonut said:

Not true....

You cannot shoot alone and rent a firearm..... if you bring your own firearm you may shoot alone

https://www.rtsponline.com/range-rules/

This was also the policy(and I assume may still be) at Garden State Shooting Center when I was a member there.  Even if you were a well known member, if you wanted to rent and shoot alone, you must have had one of your own firearms with you. I wasted a trip there as a result but respected their adherence to their policy and the reasons for it. 
On subsequent occasions when I only  wanted to rent, I would bring one of my long guns with me (i.e. no risk of an unreasonable deviation while transporting). 
p.s. normally would need  to provide your DL, not FID, when shooting.

19 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Pre-covid, RTSP hosted GSSF indoor matches a couple of times a year, I think they also ran some type of action pistol competition once a month or so, we had a NJGF meet-up shoot there with plenty of sustained fire going on.  I belong to private clubs, but I've gone in just to rent guns I was thinking of buying, and I certainly put those through their paces.   If you're keeping 'em on the paper, and your gun handling is good, you won't be hassled by the ROs.

ROs are really good at spotting who can be left to their own devices, and who needs close supervision--and everyone they don't know will fall into the latter category, for at least a few minutes.   Sounds like that is what happened here.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, brucin said:

I've shot at in-door ranges years ago in NJ that you probably never heard of or weren't born yet.....Greely's in Cedar Grove, Orange Pistol range in E. Orange, Hillsborough Shooting Center, Hillsborough and yes Ray's just to name a few....nothin' like this ever went on until one idiot got the idea at Ray's.......the entire situation now at in-door ranges and rentals is a recipe for failure.....omo.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

ROs are really good at spotting who can be left to their own devices, and who needs close supervision--and everyone they don't know will fall into the latter category, for at least a few minutes.   Sounds like that is what happened here.

That's what I suspect, too. The kid was 22 and was there with his buddies. Who knows how they were acting, but this the prime time Call of Duty and gamer crew. I'll guess they were mixing fantasy with reality.

2 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

I've shot at in-door ranges years ago in NJ that you probably never heard of or weren't born yet.....Greely's in Cedar Grove, Orange Pistol range in E. Orange, Hillsborough Shooting Center, Hillsborough and yes Ray's just to name a few....nothin' like this ever went on until one idiot got the idea at Ray's.......the entire situation now at in-door ranges and rentals is a recipe for failure.....omo.

I've been to PA Game Lands Ranges and had someone turn their pistol sideways (pointed at me) to rack the slide. I've seen people "playing RO" at Cherry Ridge get yelled at by the actual RO for touching a firearm on a bench during a cease-fire with people downrange. Watched an NRA firearms instructor draw while facing the wrong direction towards everyone behind him (drawn than turned instead of turned and drawn) at an IDPA event. You can't exclude negligent behavior based on a location. I used to shoot at RTSP frequently when I lived in Randolph. I don't know if it's different at the Union location, but I didn't experience any hovering. YMMV

People taking their lives and making a spectacle of it is extremely selfish. As a public transportation supervisor part of my job duties included responding to "trespasser incidents". I've also been a part of a train crew involved in an incident. My sympathies to those that had to witness/respond to that situation. 

• Agree 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, 10X said:

This... All shooters that come into my range get more of my attention until I can see that they can safely handle their equipment and follow the rules.