robby

What constitutes an "adjustable"/"collapsible" stock?

Why?  Magpul fixed carbine stock should be fixed.  If you need to adjust the LOP you can add a spacer at the back too to make it longer.  Otherwise, get a different stock and get it pinned in place (you drill into the receiver extension a similar way to do this).

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Why?  Magpul fixed carbine stock should be fixed.  If you need to adjust the LOP you can add a spacer at the back too to make it longer.  Otherwise, get a different stock and get it pinned in place (you drill into the receiver extension a similar way to do this).

Why? Doing this will cost me $0. So if it's legal, why not. Please link spacers you think will accomplish this, however I suspect some form of drilling will still need to be done.

3 minutes ago, robby said:

Why? Doing this will cost me $0. So if it's legal, why not. Please link spacers you think will accomplish this, however I suspect some form of drilling will still need to be done.

The problem with modifying it this way is that you can take that screw out from the stock fairly easily and adjust it.  Will you get jammed up about it?  Most likely not... but do you want to take the chance by saving a few bucks? 

Here's the spacer - it extends the LOP out slightly.  How long of a LOP do you need?

https://magpul.com/prs-extended-rubber-buttpad.html?mp_global_color=118

On 11/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, Krdshrk said:

The problem with modifying it this way is that you can take that screw out from the stock fairly easily and adjust it.  Will you get jammed up about it?  Most likely not... but do you want to take the chance by saving a few bucks? 

Here's the spacer - it extends the LOP out slightly.  How long of a LOP do you need?

https://magpul.com/prs-extended-rubber-buttpad.html?mp_global_color=118

By that logic it is just as simple to change the lop by adding butt stock pads or removing them (with a screwdriver).  I don't think in either case that constitutes an adjustable/collapsible stock.
The fact that people have to worry about these things makes me want to pack my bags and get out of here. 

8 hours ago, StarGazer said:

By that logic it is just as simple to change the lop by adding butt stock pads or removing them (with a screwdriver).  I don't think in either case that constitutes an adjustable/collapsible stock.
The fact that people have to worry about these things makes me want to pack my bags and get out of here. 

Yes - you can change the LOP by changing the pads, but that does not constitute a telescoping stock.  The law says "A folding or telescoping stock;" - not adjustable.  OP is talking about modifying the buffer so that the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock can be telescoped out and adjusted for a longer LOP.  I have a Fixed carbine stock - it just uses a screw to stay in place - this works as there's no groove cuts on the buffer tube.  Is it probably ok?  Maybe - but do you want to potentially butcher your gun and possibly rack up thousands of dollars of legal fees, or spend $15 on a part?

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Yes - you can change the LOP by changing the pads, but that does not constitute a telescoping stock.  The law says "A folding or telescoping stock;" - not adjustable.  OP is talking about modifying the buffer so that the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock can be telescoped out and adjusted for a longer LOP.  I have a Fixed carbine stock - it just uses a screw to stay in place - this works as there's no groove cuts on the buffer tube.  Is it probably ok?  Maybe - but do you want to potentially butcher your gun and possibly rack up thousands of dollars of legal fees, or spend $15 on a part?

I understand your point of view.  It is good advice.  However, my point is how far down the legal rabbit hole do we always have to go in this state?

If you have a fixed stock, one screw takes it off and you can slap on a collapsible one in under a minute. If you have a collapsible stock, removing the pin isn't too tough either.  Meanwhile, for the front side of the gun, we pin and weld devices that require much more work to remove.

Here's a question to illustrate the rabbit hole even further; can you own both a Troy and AR15 rifle in NJ?  I can very easily argue no.  It is illegal to possess both.

The way the magpul fixed carbine stock is designed, you can change the lop without drilling into the buffer. if you don’t screw it in at the exact same spot every time you are changing the lop. not by much, but there must be some legal definitions to clarify this.