Kevin125

The Expanse.. Season 5 starts Dec 16th

For those interested, The Expanse starts it’s next season on Dec 16th.

Three episodes on the 16th. Then one weekly for the remainder of the season.  Like most Amazon shows, they will probably cheap out at 10 episodes.

Supposedly, season 6, which hasn’t started filming yet, will be the last.  Although there are 9 books and so far each season represented 1 book.

And Cas Anvar is out after season 5.  Apparently he is accused of sexually harassing some women on zoom chats.  Its not clear what that was all about.  But does screw up the show as he was an integral part of it.  Like Amos Burton said...”Who’s gonna fly the ship?”

I guess I’ll get back to reading the books. 

Love the books.

Watched the show when it originally aired on cable, enjoyed it thoroughly. I stopped when it moved to Amazon, just didn’t have time and it fell below the radar.

Started watching the series again from the beginning in October, just finished season 4 a couple weeks ago.

I am very much looking forward to watching season 5.

I think they are doing a pretty good job covering all the threads in the books. Lots of overlap during last season of books if I remember the order of the books and what happens right. 

Last season encompassed elements of “Gods of Risk”, “Cibola Burn” and “Nemesis Games” and cliffhanger-ed a set up for “Babylons Ashes” (which is story 11 in chronological order when including all the novellas, and short stories).

• Agree 1

The production really stepped up once if left SyFy. Amazon has done a great job. 

Really looking forward to S5. I’m curious if it is just book 5 or combines books 5-6.  If they knew S6 was their last I could see them combining as there wasn’t much huge in book 6 that couldn’t be cut short. That would leave S6 to try to cover as much of books 7-9 as possible to leave the series with a fulfilling end. 

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

“Tiamat’s Wrath” was the last novel released in March of 2019.

I think this is right. The writers are involved in the production of the show so presumably can include it in any S6 discussions. 

I haven’t picked up any of the Novellas yet except The Churn.  That was part of my book 5 reread getting ready for S5.   Will hit Vital Abyss and Strange dogs shortly then maybe Auberon (though that seems a logical follow on to Churn). 

On 11/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, High Exposure said:

Has the last actual novel even been released yet?

The last thing I read was a short story “Auberon” released  in late fall of 2019.

“Tiamat’s Wrath” was the last novel released in March of 2019.

It has not. We have one left to go. It's going to drive my wife crazy if they leave it hanging with big things yet to happen. 

I'm looking forward to it.  I didn't get into The Expanse until it hit Amazon - went to NY Comic Con last year and saw the booth they had - saw all the Costuming and everything and then got totally into the show.

I just hope they don't pull a Game of Thrones for the last season with making stuff up before the books come out.

10 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I just hope they don't pull a Game of Thrones for the last season with making stuff up before the books come out.

That is what every one is afraid of. I don’t think it will happen. The 9th book should be out in time for it to be adopted and the writers are actively involved in the production of the show (unlike GoT). 

I can see them shortening the books 7-9 content into something that will fit in season 6. There is a lot there that could be side stepped (for a later spinoff perhaps) while still picking up the major series arcs. 

What I find odd is that these series are a product that makes money.  They (will) have an inventory of 9 books.  Why they don’t utilize that inventory and make money on it.  Its one of the best sci-fi drama series in several decades, yet...they are just going to close up shop.  I think this is filmed in Vancouver for the most part, which allows them to pay shitty wages to everyone but the main characters.  And sure...successful shows come with money demands from those actors and actresses...but they’re successful. Figure out the compensation so it works.  Apparently, they have no problem writing our main characters. So it shouldn’t be that hard.

I don’t get it.  Not only do they make cash while it initially airs, its a money tree for years.

15 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

I don’t get it.  Not only do they make cash while it initially airs, its a money tree for years

I heard that it is the production company that wants to wrap it up, not Amazon. Unlike the situation with SyFy.  Could have something to do with contracts or the studio or something.  The show made it 6 seasons which is very rare for a television series. 

2 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I heard that it is the production company that wants to wrap it up, not Amazon. Unlike the situation with SyFy.  Could have something to do with contracts or the studio or something.  The show made it 6 seasons which is very rare for a television series. 

I agree.  6 seasons is rare.  Always disappointing to see a good show end early.  From Jericho, then BSG, SG Universe...  Even SG Atlantis ended too early at 5 seasons. 

32 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

I agree.  6 seasons is rare.  Always disappointing to see a good show end early.  From Jericho, then BSG, SG Universe...  Even SG Atlantis ended too early at 5 seasons. 

I think they just want to cut it prior to the 30 year time jump. After that the story gets REAL expensive to tell right. I'll be shocked if they can do nemesis games right in season 5 on the kind of budget they have had. 

It may not be the end though, as the time jump gives them the chance to recast everyone, and can be done in two to three seasons. 

3 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

I think they just want to cut it prior to the 30 year time jump. After that the story gets REAL expensive to tell right. I'll be shocked if they can do nemesis games right in season 5 on the kind of budget they have had. 

It may not be the end though, as the time jump gives them the chance to recast everyone, and can be done in two to three seasons. 

I haven’t gotten that far in the books.  That would be good if they worked that out.

11 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The problem is that it is not a very satisfactory series finale if they end it with book 6. Most of the series-wide story arcs are not finished by then.   
I can see two options:  They keep S5/6 matching books 5/6 and then hit the post time jump books 7-9 in an Amazon movie (similar to Firefly/Serenity). Or season 5 is books 5-6 and season 6 is the portions of book 7 and  book 9 that they can do without the time jump and revisit the remaining arcs in books 7-8 as a limited miniseries or spin off. 

2 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The problem is that it is not a very satisfactory series finale if they end it with book 6. Most of the series-wide story arcs are not finished by then.   
I can see two options:  They keep S5/6 matching books 5/6 and then hit the post time jump books 7-9 in an Amazon movie (similar to Firefly/Serenity). Or season 5 is books 5-6 and season 6 is the portions of book 7 and  book 9 that they can do without the time jump and revisit the remaining arcs in books 7-8 as a limited miniseries or spin off. 

I disagree. Just before the time jump you basically have a stable government set up, and two what if's about the gates. Nuke a gate or tell the audience it's unusable now, and pretty much all of books 7,8 and 9 go poof. The few bits of 7 that don't we were going to hit early the way the series was going anyway. 

Would it be a satifying ending? No, not compared to how the books are going, but if you view this as sort of a political thriller action piece in space, you can end that just fine. 

Well, I watched the first couple episodes of season 5 (only ep 1, 2, & 3 are currently released).

I thought it was well done so far. I’d anything the production value has gone up and the effects and action is better than ever.

I am digging Amos being back in Baltimore. I think he is my favorite character.

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I am digging Amos being back in Baltimore. I think he is my favorite character.

Only 3 episodes in and he’s already got the best lines.   “you could be both...”, “Float to the top, or sink to the bottom. Everything else is The Churn”, “First of all, they started it. Second, they were alive when I walked out of there”. 

Almost as good as “You pushed a button?!  My god, that’s truly how you go through life, isn’t it”. 

• Like 2

Agreed. Amos Burton also my favorite.  Probably the same reason I liked Sgt Greer in Stargate Universe.

Will watch Ep. 3 to tomorrow. So far season 5 is reminding me why I wish they planned more than 6 seasons.  That’s a lot of seasons for a sci fi series, sure. But they could do 10 if they could keep the cast together.  Regardless of the timeline of the books.  Just start writing.  There’s a lot of content they could exploit.  Nothing wrong bringing in new characters and story arcs.  

8 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Agreed. Amos Burton also my favorite.  Probably the same reason I liked Sgt Greer in Stargate Universe.

Amos has a crap ton more personality than Greer.  I hated Greer at first but he started humanizing a bit.  Unfortunately they cut SGU short.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Amos has a crap ton more personality than Greer.  I hated Greer at first but he started humanizing a bit.  Unfortunately they cut SGU short.

SGU was ok. It was just starting to get its stride after a pretty cringe first season.  It was like the first season of SGA and the second season of Buck Rogers. 

Greer pales compared to Amos though. 

On 12/19/2020 at 9:20 AM, Krdshrk said:

It wasn’t the Greer character’s personality that I liked.  His character was committed to the mission.  You’ll recall the “sweet potato” scene....?     Sort of epitomized the character.

Most of the rest of the crew were emotional basket cases.

And yeah. Another early series ending by the WWE channel.  I mean.. SYFY channel.

4 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

It wasn’t the Greer character’s personality that I liked.  His character was committed to the mission.  You’ll recall the “sweet potato” scene....?     Sort of epitomized the character.

Most of the rest of the crew were emotional basket cases.

And yeah. Another early series ending by the WWE channel.  I mean.. SYFY channel.

Amos is the same way but he's actually got a personality.  Greer was just basically angry Marine at first it seemed... then "I'm gonna committttttttttt with a thousand T's because I'm a badass".  He did start getting more personable towards the end but he was nowhere as fleshed out as Amos.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, Krdshrk said:

Amos is the same way but he's actually got a personality.  Greer was just basically angry Marine at first it seemed... then "I'm gonna committttttttttt with a thousand T's because I'm a badass".  He did start getting more personable towards the end but he was nowhere as fleshed out as Amos.

Two seasons vs 4-1/4 seasons. So yeah.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, Krdshrk said:

There's more than just side...

I hope they had the heat on in that ship.  They looked chilly....

I loved the books but I agree, they could just end the series before they move ahead in time.  In the books it almost seems like an add-on. 

I'm waiting to watch until we finish up a couple other series.  It's a great series, it'll be nice if they keep true to the books though.

Not sure how they are going to handle the loss of the pilot.  He's key all the way through the last book that's out.