sfdxsm

New owner in Chester

Hello all, new member here (new firearm owner too). I recently completed and received my FID through Chester Township and on the new NJ FARS system. I was surprised at how quick and easy it was considering the nightmares I read here. Last time I tried to apply for a permit was in Ocean County (Jackson Township) and I gave up a few years ago.

End to end I was done in just a touch over a month (applied 10/29 and got my FID and P2P 11/30). The only reason for delay was it took me a month to find time to get fingerprinted. Automated emails went in near real time to my references who replied same day. My background check was returned exactly at 30 days. I was fingerprinted 11/25 and paid my local PD same day. One business day later I received a call to come pick up my FID. Chester was super fast and easy to deal with. They basically turned it around same day once my background and fingerprints came through.

I grew up in PA where gun laws are less restrictive but have never owned a firearm before. I took an NRA Pistol class many years ago at Gun For Hire but found the process to even get a permit in Bridgewater (and Jackson where I previously lived) to be a pain. I'm excited to be able to visit ranges with my family who are all PA residents for the most part and extremely experienced owners (via hunting or military).

Looking forward to learning to being a responsible owner. I can say the process to get my P2P and FID were far less daunting than my next step which is actually figuring out what to purchase/where/how/getting a pistol class under my belt. Gun For Hire and RTSP in Randolph seem super busy. Their basic handgun classes are completely booked into 2021. I was figuring I'd not see my permit until end of year and made the mistake of waiting to take a class. Really wanted to get a basic class under my belt and possibly a 1:1 + range time to test some firearms out before buying. A good problem to have I'd say.

One problem I seem to be running into is because I recently moved, my Driver License does not match my current address (but was not an issue getting my FID). Seems a lot of ranges require it to match the FID....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Welcome to the shooting sports... and to NJGF! I'm glad your FID process went smoothly. As you already know, there are large discrepancies between various municipalities. Some people have been held up for MONTHS... hence some of the - understandable! - griping you'll see on here. Consider yourself very lucky indeed! It sounds like you're off to an auspicious start. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sfdxsm said:

Hello all, new member here (new firearm owner too). I recently completed and received my FID through Chester Township and on the new NJ FARS system. I was surprised at how quick and easy it was considering the nightmares I read here. Last time I tried to apply for a permit was in Ocean County (Jackson Township) and I gave up a few years ago.

End to end I was done in just a touch over a month (applied 10/29 and got my FID and P2P 11/30). The only reason for delay was it took me a month to find time to get fingerprinted. Automated emails went in near real time to my references who replied same day. My background check was returned exactly at 30 days. I was fingerprinted 11/25 and paid my local PD same day. One business day later I received a call to come pick up my FID. Chester was super fast and easy to deal with. They basically turned it around same day once my background and fingerprints came through.

I grew up in PA where gun laws are less restrictive but have never owned a firearm before. I took an NRA Pistol class many years ago at Gun For Hire but found the process to even get a permit in Bridgewater (and Jackson where I previously lived) to be a pain. I'm excited to be able to visit ranges with my family who are all PA residents for the most part and extremely experienced owners (via hunting or military).

Looking forward to learning to being a responsible owner. I can say the process to get my P2P and FID were far less daunting than my next step which is actually figuring out what to purchase/where/how/getting a pistol class under my belt. Gun For Hire and RTSP in Randolph seem super busy. Their basic handgun classes are completely booked into 2021. I was figuring I'd not see my permit until end of year and made the mistake of waiting to take a class. Really wanted to get a basic class under my belt and possibly a 1:1 + range time to test some firearms out before buying. A good problem to have I'd say.

One problem I seem to be running into is because I recently moved, my Driver License does not match my current address (but was not an issue getting my FID). Seems a lot of ranges require it to match the FID....

Hey! I live near by in Morristown! I sometimes shoot at Black River and I went hunting in there a few times. I've heard you can do your change of address online for the DMV and while they won't send you a new license, they will send you documentation confirming your new address. https://emvc.state.nj.us/MVC_SAC/AVSStart.jsp . 

You'll also want to do this kinda soon (remember your P2P expires in 90 days without an extension). Finding a firearm and ammo you'll want to purchase take some research (do you know what you like, or where you're going to go to buy it?) So now is a good time to start reading! (I do a lot of my research online, reading reviews to help narrow down potential purchases) As for ammo, I use ammoseek to keep an eye on fluctuating prices. 

If you need any more pointers, don't be afraid to ask! 

Welcome to the virtual (and physical neighborhood!) 

• Like 1

I'll join the crowd welcoming and second the idea of getting your license issues resolved as soon as you can.

You will need matching IDs to buy a gun and any time that you buy ammo.  I know that going to the DMV is a pain in the rear end but it might be easier than explaining why they don't match each time you purchase and carrying a third piece of documentation (the address update from DMV.)

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 6:17 PM, sfdxsm said:

Thanks all for the replies and address feedback! I already carry the change of address paper but do plan to try and get down to the DMV.

Better move quick.

N.J. is ending the practice of getting a DL license in hand the same day.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/10/sorry-nj-the-thrill-of-getting-a-new-drivers-license-in-person-is-over-its-in-the-mail-instead.html

Randolph DMV was reasonably good last time I had my license renewed. Lord knows what the experience is like now.

I used to go to Wayne DMV but it became a third world SH.

Unfortunately what I read online is you cannot get a new license just for change of address at this time. They are only processing renewals and Randolph just closed due to COVID. My license is good until 2022.

I don’t really know what I’m going to do if the state of NJ won’t issue new licenses for address changes only anymore.

I have my paper from the DMV of the address change, FID is using new address, and mortgage statement showing new address.

11 hours ago, sfdxsm said:

Unfortunately what I read online is you cannot get a new license just for change of address at this time. They are only processing renewals and Randolph just closed due to COVID. My license is good until 2022.

I don’t really know what I’m going to do if the state of NJ won’t issue new licenses for address changes only anymore.

I have my paper from the DMV of the address change, FID is using new address, and mortgage statement showing new address.

Given the strange stuff happening with COVID I suspect that you'd be able to shoot at a range with the paperwork you have.  You may need to "speak with the manager/owner" so they fully understand that you CAN'T get the DL update right now.

Having the FID and matching license to rent guns and shoot at a range is a policy decision by the range owners, not law.

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Given the strange stuff happening with COVID I suspect that you'd be able to shoot at a range with the paperwork you have.  You may need to "speak with the manager/owner" so they fully understand that you CAN'T get the DL update right now.

Having the FID and matching license to rent guns and shoot at a range is a policy decision by the range owners, not law.

This is what I was figuring. It's strange times. But I appreciate everyone's feedback. Going to see how things shake out shortly.