kevinmcs

Value of Colt LE6920 NJ compliant

16 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

yeah this is why the internet is dangerous as it gives morons a louder voice.  Some valid concerns but way too much conjecture and he lost me at the cage code discussion.  I think he's halfwit.......

Colt hasn't laid off any union guys yet so that should end this discussion.  The 'I' isn't because it's outsourced either.  just retarded

funny thing is, I watched it after I posted it, and ignoring what he said, it doesn't seem they are much different than the older ones.   at least its some video where you can really see what it looks like.  

32 minutes ago, n4p226r said:

funny thing is, I watched it after I posted it, and ignoring what he said, it doesn't seem they are much different than the older ones.   at least its some video where you can really see what it looks like.  

it's easily one of the worst videos I've watched in a while.  The cage code comments cement their retarded idiocy...lol

Colt may change who gives them the blanks and has outsourced 1 time (green mountain) to make barrels but it was short lived during a contract deliverable that was tight.  I know people like to think the small parts etc are outsourced but I've examined Colt lpk, vs fn, ap, dd, etc and there are some differences with the latter ones using thinner springs, less coils, wrong detent material (matters for cold weather) etc etc. 

Until I see it with my own eyes or get directly from a Colt source (of which I have one), I will remain skeptical of much on the internet.

now that said, there have been changes, some not wanted by traditionalists but Colt management sucks and they screwed the pooch

14 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

it's easily one of the worst videos I've watched in a while.  The cage code comments cement their retarded idiocy...lol

Colt may change who gives them the blanks and has outsourced 1 time (green mountain) to make barrels but it was short lived during a contract deliverable that was tight.  I know people like to think the small parts etc are outsourced but I've examined Colt lpk, vs fn, ap, dd, etc and there are some differences with the latter ones using thinner springs, less coils, wrong detent material (matters for cold weather) etc etc. 

Until I see it with my own eyes or get directly from a Colt source (of which I have one), I will remain skeptical of much on the internet.

now that said, there have been changes, some not wanted by traditionalists but Colt management sucks and they screwed the pooch

what I find funny is that I seem to think colt needs to do 3 (maybe 4) things for the civilian market and they seem unable to do any of them but they always get close. 

1.  base model military clones.   we will give them a pass on 16" barrels instead of 14.5" but everything else should be exactly what they sold the military under those contracts.  engravings, roll marks, if there is a C on the bolt carrier, that should be there too.   this should be the 6920 but more accurate, not less accurate

2.  they should offer "upgraded" versions of those rifles.   so 6920 with KAC hand guards and sopmod stocks.  maybe some mk18 clones.  get some in there with a geissle rail.   start small and go with a standard m4.

3.  they need a mid-length 6920.   same exact rifle as item 1 above, but with a little more real estate before the front sight.  

maybe 4:  they need to offer parts individually at a better price.  even if they are outsourced.  who wouldn't want a nodak spud style vintage lower for their m16a1 parts kit but with genuine colt markings from colt.  

(honorable mention 5) a colt dissipator 16" barrel with mid or carbine length gas system  (so I don't have to get one made)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, n4p226r said:

what I find funny is that I seem to think colt needs to do 3 (maybe 4) things for the civilian market and they seem unable to do any of them but they always get close. 

1.  base model military clones.   we will give them a pass on 16" barrels instead of 14.5" but everything else should be exactly what they sold the military under those contracts.  engravings, roll marks, if there is a C on the bolt carrier, that should be there too.   this should be the 6920 but more accurate, not less accurate

2.  they should offer "upgraded" versions of those rifles.   so 6920 with KAC hand guards and sopmod stocks.  maybe some mk18 clones.  get some in there with a geissle rail.   start small and go with a standard m4.

3.  they need a mid-length 6920.   same exact rifle as item 1 above, but with a little more real estate before the front sight.  

maybe 4:  they need to offer parts individually at a better price.  even if they are outsourced.  who wouldn't want a nodak spud style vintage lower for their m16a1 parts kit but with genuine colt markings from colt.  

(honorable mention 5) a colt dissipator 16" barrel with mid or carbine length gas system  (so I don't have to get one made)

I'm with you on much of this!

if they actually marketed the CCU, game changer.

3 hours ago, n4p226r said:

I'll add Colt really messed up opportunity to capitalize on the Colt Expanse as a direct competitor to the S&W M&P Sport (which Smith is selling as fast as they can make them).

I have a Colt Expanse, the fit and finish is excellent and it has a 6920 C marked upper.

If Colt had included flip up sights and some Mag-Pul stocks like they offer on the new 6920 it would probably be a top seller now.

2 minutes ago, Bomber said:

I'll add Colt really messed up opportunity to capitalize on the Colt Expanse as a direct competitor to the S&W M&P Sport (which Smith is selling as fast as they can make them).

I have a Colt Expanse, the fit and finish is excellent and it has a 6920 C marked upper.

If Colt had included flip up sights and some Mag-Pul stocks like they offer on the new 6920 it would probably be a top seller now.

zero connection to Colt....ZERO

24 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

zero connection to Colt....ZERO

Don't care, and neither would the many buyers in that segment of the market.  

Colt could take some lessons from them. 

They were well made rifles at a good price, very accurate and as I said mine has a genuine 6920 upper.

23 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Don't care, and neither would the many buyers in that segment of the market.  

Colt could take some lessons from them. 

They were well made rifles at a good price, very accurate and as I said mine has a genuine 6920 upper.

The first run used colt products on contract overruns and the later builds were pure garbage.  You should care, your comment above shows you didn't know they were not part of the colt family which is fine but ignorance is not bliss.

you can sell in parts but you won't get what you paid for it as a full rifle as anyone with half a clue knows these have nothing to do with Colt.

There is nothing Colt could learn from these guys.  stop being stupid here

12 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

You can sell in parts but you won't get what you paid for it as a full rifle as anyone with half a clue knows these have nothing to do with Colt.

Paid $600 for my Expanse.

They currently sell around $1000 on Gunbroker,  even without a genuine "C" marked upper.

I could likely get a nice premium as well since it's now N.J compliant. 

1 minute ago, Bomber said:

Paid $600 for my Expanse.

They currently sell around $1000 on Gunbroker,  even without a genuine "C" marked upper.

I could likely get a nice premium as well since it's now N.J compliant. 

just looked, one sold for less than an m&p and another for the price of an m&p in THIS mkt.  people can ask whatever they want but no one is paying 1k for a 2nd rate rifle with 1/8 twist unlined 4140 barrels.  A sucker is born everyday they say and It's great to have a cheap beater but buyer beware.  Even you thought they were associated with them based on your first post which I can see given how they were marketed but man the market has gotten wise to things.

either way, glad you are happy and at the end of the day, as long as they go bang!!!!  :)

Just now, Bomber said:

I'm well aware of where and how they were built.

ok don't lie, your first comment says otherwise. 

52 minutes ago, Bomber said:

you bought thinking you were getting a budget Colt.  It's ok, you're not the only one.  But don't lie, just mea culpa and move on

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

just looked, one sold for less than an m&p and another for the price of an m&p in THIS mkt.  people can ask whatever they want but no one is paying 1k for a 2nd rate rifle with 1/8 twist unlined 4140 barrels.  A sucker is born everyday they say and It's great to have a cheap beater but buyer beware.  Even you thought they were associated with them based on your first post which I can see given how they were marketed but man the market has gotten wise to things.

either way, glad you are happy and at the end of the day, as long as they go bang!!!!  :)

It has a 1/7 twist barrel BTW. 

S&W M&P15 is non-chromed lined as well and they sell boat loads of them, which was my original point, not that the Expanse was the equivalent of the 6920.

Colt did some weird things with the Expanse. 

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

The first run used colt products on contract overruns and the later builds were pure garbage

I have seen some Expanse models that had legit 6920 uppers. As Rutgers95 points out, most likely contract overruns. 

I have also seen hot garbage turned out by the 3rd party that made them for Colt. 

Personally, I don’t own any Expanse models, but I have quite a few Colt ARs. 

On 12/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Colt did some weird things with the Expanse. 

I have seen some Expanse models that had legit 6920 uppers. As Rutgers95 points out, most likely contract overruns. 

I have also seen hot garbage turned out by the 3rd party that made them for Colt. 

Mine is very late production and has the 6920 upper. 

Only gripe I have is the barrel is slightly nose heavy. CL lined would have been a nice option.

Otherwise no complaints.. Zero play between the upper and lower, excellent trigger, smooth action, F marked FSB, finish is perfect.  

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Mine is very late production and has the 6920 upper. 

Only grip I have is the barrel is slightly nose heavy. CL lined would have been a nice option.

Otherwise no complaints.. Zero play between the upper and lower, excellent trigger, smooth action, F marked FSB, finish is perfect.  

If it’s not chrome lined, it’s not a legit 6920 upper. The actual upper receiver may be from Colt, though. 

I have seen a few Expanse models with CL barrels. Most of them have unlined barrels. 

A true Colt supplied barrel will be marked like this, or with the cage code in place of the C. They switched over to the cage code since about 2018, if I recall correctly. 
More recently, a CR code. 

F1B3EA9F-255B-4F10-B52E-B33D019E5A81.jpeg

On 12/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, Displaced Texan said:

If it’s not chrome lined, it’s not a legit 6920 upper. The actual upper receiver may be from Colt, though. 

I have seen a few Expanse models with CL barrels. Most of them have unlined barrels. 

Yeah, you're right. Upper receiver is C marked Colt, the barrel is the heavier profile Expanse version with M4 feed ramps. 

5 hours ago, Bomber said:

in my opinion sometime sales are less important than diluting the brand.   Colt's bread and butter is being "mil-spec"  the closer they are to that the better.   i think the expanse was a mistake.   

Colt rarely had a problem selling every civilian rifle they made, so I don’t really know why they did it. I really didn’t like having a 3rd party vendor make the Expanse under license for Colt. Bad move, IMHO. If the 3rd party mfg produces a crap product, it reflects directly on Colt, not the vendor. 
While Colt makes great rifles, the management of that company sucks, and they sometimes make decisions that don’t make much business sense. 

I do like that they produced the 6960 CCU, and that they make the ‘retro’ series rifles from time to time. People have been crying to Colt for both of those things, and I thought it was a good business decision to listen to the consumers. 

@Bomber, when I referred to the ‘upper’,  I meant the complete upper receiver group. Barrel, upper, BCG...I should have clarified.

What I should have said was I have seen Expanse rifles with (complete) 6920 uppers on Expanse lowers. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, n4p226r said:

in my opinion sometime sales are less important than diluting the brand.   Colt's bread and butter is being "mil-spec"  the closer they are to that the better.   i think the expanse was a mistake.   

Getting quality AR rifles into the market is never a mistake.

The mistake was shutting Expanse production down right before the biggest panic buying of all time and then stopping civilian sales of Colt rifles soon after and months before an election year.

Ranks up there with Remington closing down Bushmaster/DPMS around the same time. 

other than selling products to a vendor, there is zero relationship with Colt.  Again, zero, most of the parts are not even Colt parts.  This thread is borderline stupid now

Nowhere do you see Colt Competition (expanse parent) on any org chart, balance sheet, etc etc relating to Colt.  Colt allowed, under license, the use of the Colt name.  They have done this 4x in history with no affiliation whatsoever.

lower threads are cut not rolled, bcg has too many variations to cite, bolts are not Colt, barrels were not Colt, gas tubes were commercial.......etc etc etc

Some parts used yes early, overruns etc but JHC Colt has plenty to be hit on but this $hit isn't one of them

There were even threads with pics showing the upper receivers were either rejects or 2nds of sorts and the bolts were DPMS made. 

I'm in no way a AR snob but you couldn't give me that $hit.  I'd rather a dpms oracle   hahaha

I forgot about the ‘Colt Competition’ line. I saw a few of those in the wild...not impressed. 

I’m a bit of a Colt snob if you haven’t noticed. Lol

This is what I have here...a few more reside in Texas. 

First pic, AR15A4 upper on a Match Target lower. 

Second pic, LE901 in .308

Third pic, 6921, and a pair of 6944s. 

AA86A6E4-279E-4D28-9135-F6562F3F70EE.jpeg

82CC9743-5BD9-46AA-858D-AE6692CBA37D.jpeg

35CC7711-35A4-4E00-914C-19521F2A5B4D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

The acogs mostly serve my purposes, although I plan on getting rid of one or two for a Trijicon MRO. 

Are they all BCM grips?   I really like my BCM grips but recently picked up a griffin A3 grip.  I think I’ll be using that on any colt I get soon because it “almost” looks like a standard A2 grip but Is much better.  

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

Getting quality AR rifles into the market is never a mistake.

The mistake was shutting Expanse production down right before the biggest panic buying of all time and then stopping civilian sales of Colt rifles soon after months before the election. 

Ranks up there with Remington closing down Bushmaster/DPMS around the same time. 

The mistake wasn’t making them.  The mistake was putting the colt name on them.  

10 hours ago, n4p226r said:

The mistake wasn’t making them.  The mistake was putting the colt name on them.  

I agree with this. Colt’s name was associated with the lower quality parts (and build quality) used by the licensee. That left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth.