45Doll

The Last Forgotten Muscle Car

On 12/1/2020 at 6:28 PM, Pizza Bob said:

I hate to disappoint you guys, but the "last forgotten muscle car" is a lot newer than you think. Manufactured from 2014 to 2017 approximately 10K made, or about 2500 per year, I give you the Chevrolet SS...

Chevy-SS.jpg

Most people have no idea what it even is, and those that notice the SS emblems invariably ask, "An SS what?" - Just an SS. Back in the muscle car hay day the SS was a Chevy trim line that could be added to various models. For the 2014 - 2017 car, it becomes a model name. Equipped with an LS3 engine, producing 415 HP and 415 Lb-Ft it came with a 6 spd automatic and later a 6 spd manual trans. Aside from the trans, the only options available were a sunroof and a full-size spare.

This is truly the last muscle car.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Yes I know that it is a re-badged Australian Holden Commodore, but Holden is no more also - so truly the last.

I will have to 1up you on this. I owned an ever more rare "SS" or rather its predecessor (until an idiot almost killed me stopped at a traffic light and the car got totaled but anyway) : the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP - 1738 of 1829 ever produced.  I like the SS but the Pontiac bells and whistles on the Commodore is so much cooler looking.  When you have the car in 2nd gear and hit the pedal to get to 60 mph, you could feel the Gs glue you to your seat.  I miss that car....

Capture.JPG

NJRulz - I'm well aware of the Pontiac GXP. The car that I traded on the SS was a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Before retirement I was a General Motors Pontiac Product Trainer. When I bought my G8 the GXP was not yet in the line-up. Besides the automatic trans was good when having to get to my dealers in urban areas. The G8 is definitely cooler looking. But the SS is a real sleeper.

I have a set of four 18"x8" / 5 on 120mm G8 wheels that I'd love to get rid of - if you know anybody that is interested, have them get in touch.

Rarer than your G8 GXP were the Solstice GXP Coupes - <800, would love to have one of them squirreled away in my garage.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2 hours ago, FDHog said:

My first Muscle car was a 1977 TransAm 6.6L

Man, you are making me feel some nostalgia.  My first, and only muscle car was a 77 TA with a modded Olds 403 and some other tweaks.  Idling, it aways sounded like it was going to stall, but never did.  blug blug blug......blug....blug.............blug blug blug.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, virpacalis said:

My boring VW Golf R can handle the twisties even on wet and snowy days, haul my fishing and biking gear, get 25+ mpg, and trap around 115 mph all day long.  Super reliable,

‘19 Golf R owner here. LOVE the car!!

My ‘car regret’ was back in the late 80’s. I found a ‘70 Boss 302 Mustang for a good price. It was, at the time, my grail car. 
I passed on it because it didn’t have the original Boss 302 engine in it (although it was a genuine Boss 302 motor). 

$4500. Grabber Yellow with the Boss 302 stripes, shaker hood, rear window louvers, and the front/rear spoilers. Interior was a little beat, but nothing that couldn’t be redone. 

I’ve kicked myself in the ass over that for years. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

‘19 Golf R owner here. LOVE the car!!

My ‘car regret’ was back in the late 80’s. I found a ‘70 Boss 302 Mustang for a good price. It was, at the time, my grail car. 
I passed on it because it didn’t have the original Boss 302 engine in it (although it was a genuine Boss 302 motor). 

$4500. Grabber Yellow with the Boss 302 stripes, shaker hood, rear window louvers, and the front/rear spoilers. Interior was a little beat, but nothing that couldn’t be redone. 

I’ve kicked myself in the ass over that for years. 

Ouch...  I feel your pain.  I remember looking at a hemi 'cuda back in 1980 or so during another one of the gas wars (or at least when gas prices went up for a while) and didn't buy it because I didn't think I could afford the gas if I used it as a daily driver.  Plus, I was a poor schlub and would have struggled to put together the $5k it would have cost me.  Ugh.

Another buddy who shall remain nameless was always a Mustang guy.  His first car was a '69 428 he bought new at Morristown Ford, that he wrapped around a tree after 6 months.  His second car was a '70 Shelby, evidenced by his name in the Shelby registry.   When he got married in 1974 he (wait for it) traded it in on a new Mustang II because his wife couldn't drive a stick.  He HATES when I remind him of that.  At least he still has the wife...

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It hit home again a few years ago I saw an identical Boss 302 on Mecham go for a ridiculous price. 

I was REALLY pissed that day. 

I can't watch Mecum anymore. It drives me crazy. Could do serious damage to my bank account.

I always liked the Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3 built in the late 60s early 70s. A monster at the time but today the performance is matched by many economy car "sport" versions.

20 years ago you could find one of these Mercedes for a reasonable price.  Then they were approaching big buck rebuilds or owners who wanted to dump them before they reached that point. Now they cost a lot more.

An oft ignored "muscle car" was the Honda Odyssey mini van.  A mini van.  About 2011 they had a turbo version with over 1000 hp.  If you pulled up next to one in your hot F body Mustang, you'd get smoked.  Literally.  I saw them smoke the front tires on the American Top Gear.  Problem was they put all that money into horsepower and none into suspension.  On Top Gear, Tanner Mays, who is a race car driver, almost put it into the wall on an oval track.

The best handling muscle cars of the 60s were the 442 and Gran Sport.  I do have a place in my heart for the 64 GTO with Tri-power. In 65 they became a bit more civilized.

Another nice car from the 60s was the Olds "Turnpike Cruiser".  It was a 442 with a 2 barrel carb.  Reasonably fast, good handling and it gave you...20mpg.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:28 AM, Pizza Bob said:

I hate to disappoint you guys, but the "last forgotten muscle car" is a lot newer than you think. Manufactured from 2014 to 2017 approximately 10K made, or about 2500 per year, I give you the Chevrolet SS...

Chevy-SS.jpg

Most people have no idea what it even is, and those that notice the SS emblems invariably ask, "An SS what?" - Just an SS. Back in the muscle car hay day the SS was a Chevy trim line that could be added to various models. For the 2014 - 2017 car, it becomes a model name. Equipped with an LS3 engine, producing 415 HP and 415 Lb-Ft it came with a 6 spd automatic and later a 6 spd manual trans. Aside from the trans, the only options available were a sunroof and a full-size spare.

This is truly the last muscle car.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Yes I know that it is a re-badged Australian Holden Commodore, but Holden is no more also - so truly the last.

Wasn't this like the souped up Cobalt SS?

48 minutes ago, TurnpikeTed said:

Wasn't this like the souped up Cobalt SS?

No disrespect to the Cobalt, but it isn't even close to the SS. Thanks to Stu, I'll write this off to Hanlon's Razor. LOL.

@45Doll, @67gtonut, @JohnnyB, @Pizza Bob, @NJRulz & @GRIZ and others:

FYI - Now here is a truly amazing, intriguing and very touching car story about what arguably IMHO, could and should be considered one of “the last forgotten muscle cars”….

It is the story of a car referred to as “The Black Ghost” – a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE with a 426 Hemi Engine, ordered new in triple black colors by Godfrey Qualls, a decorated U.S. Army paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne, then Green Beret, who served in Vietnam, who later became a motorcycle cop, married, then a father, who street raced this car in Detroit in the 1970’s and beat everyone he raced.  (Also, there is an interesting sidebar story regarding the Shaker Hood….)

The car has survived and this YouTube video is the compelling story about the car, its owner and its ultimate fate….  Enjoy

AVB-AMG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here you go dudes... get out your checkbooks, hopefully you got something in there to spend. Here's the Motherload of muscle cars... get ready to bid!!!

....."According to AutoBlog, Rick Treworgy's Muscle Car City has the "biggest collections of high-performance American cars in the world." Most of the 200 cars are GM built and will be auctioned off with no reserve.

Treworgy has decided to unload the classic cars in an upcoming auction later this month. 

Mecum Auctions is expected to sell the vehicles on Jan. 22-23 at the museum.

Get out while you can appears to be Treworgy's move as central banks inflate the everything bubble. It remains to be seen if the collector will get top dollar for his cars, though there's a lot of people out there armed with stimulus checks that may take a stab at bidding. 

2021-01-12_09-47-19.png?itok=1KhT9I_1

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/worlds-largest-muscle-car-collector-set-auction-200-rare-cars-no-reserve

• Like 1