1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

Well, you get what you pay for.  I wouldn't call the shot timer apps good but to each their own.  I use a CED pocket pro II and it's great but that is a little over your budget.  A CED pocket pro II is cheaper than buying a cheap timer and then an expensive one afterwards when you realize your mistake, however.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Well, you get what you pay for.  I wouldn't call the shot timer apps good but to each their own.  I use a CED pocket pro II and it's great but that is a little over your budget.  A CED pocket pro II is cheaper than buying a cheap timer and then an expensive one afterwards when you realize your mistake, however.

I agree but to get 60 - 70% of the functionality you want to try out for free while deciding what you do want to spend money on isn't bad...

-Jim

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

I agree but to get 60 - 70% of the functionality you want to try out for free while deciding what you do want to spend money on isn't bad...

-Jim

Honestly I've played with those vs my CED 7000.  The app versions are very poor with shot pickup and it does not give a good representation of how shot timers work.

@Cheflife15 - the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer is on sale at MidwayUSA for $117.55 right now.  Not much over your budget.  Honestly though - for a few more bucks, it's better to get the CED 7000 or Competition Electronics Pocket Pro 2

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015085981?pid=772064

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

-Jim

I agree with both of you. 

I use the Android app shot-timer linked above and for my purposes it's great.  I use it when I'm practicing from a port at the range, so it does everything I need it to.

I think it would fall well short for competition or serious use while moving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

A CED pocket pro II is cheaper than buying a cheap timer and then an expensive one afterwards when you realize your mistake, however.

Buy once, cry once. I wish more shooters understood this concept.

There is a distinct difference between “cheaper” and “best value”.

I have a CED timer as well. Very happy with it. Not the greatest at indoor ranges though, I find myself fighting the sensitivity settings and never finding that sweet spot.....

• Like 1

I've got a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro shot timer that must be at least 20 years old.  It's never missed a beat.  Gets a new battery every few years, and that's it.    I do wish it had adjustable sensitivity for shot volume...but if you buy one now, you'll get that.  They added that feature 10 or 15 years ago.     $117 at Midway.

I don't have a Pocket Pro II ($132) but a nice feature is that it puts more information on the screen, so you don't have to push as many buttons to scroll through your split times.

Depends on what you want it for. Dryfire? Get an app for your phone. 

Live fire, IMO the pocket pro II is the best combo of features and durability. 

I'll give my brief timer analysis based on trying to find good timers for matches. 

Speed Timer 3000 simple, durable, way too easy to clear shot history when trying to review it, and when they get hot the display goes black. 

CED 7000 decent but complicated configuration. Display goes clear if it gets hot. Pretty good for individual practice though. 

CED 8000 Increadibly configurable, very complex setup, weak beep, really meant for dry fire or personal practice. Setup is not really ergonomic for running a stage. 

PACT club timer 3. Simple, seems good, but has critical flaws. I forget if its display goes clear or dark when hot, but it does one of them. Much worse is that when it gets too hot, it starts missing shots. 

PACT MKIV XP, the old MKIX was the bees knees but pricey. The XP is flat out broken and PACT's repsonse after buying ~$3000 of them was basically screw you. The critical bug has to do with the data history. The more shots in data history, the longer the delay between pressing the button and getting a beep. RUN a big match and you can start heading into 30 second plus delays. Clearing the history is a PITA to boot. 

Pocket Pro. Butt simple. Not full featured for dry fire. Display goes clear in heat. 

Pocket Pro II. The bitmap display is nice and heat resistant. It's basically on par with the ced7000 for options, slightly simpler setup with a more menu driven setup. Biggest issue is getting it bumped into config mode when trying to review. Also not the cheapest. 

• Informative 4