I own 3 Hi Point carbines: one each in .380acp, .40S&W, and .45acp. Both the .40 and the .45 use the same mags as their handguns.

Yes, they will never win any beauty contests, but they do fullfill their purpose: to reliably send pistol caliber rounds downrange and hit their targets every time. Isn't that why you buy a gun??

The factory sights are for shit, in my opinion, but red dots are easily mounted on the integral top rail.

Mag capacities are limited, but so are we here in the Glorious PRNJ, so that's not an issue.

I wouldn't mind having one in 10mm if I could find one at pre-pandemic prices.

Made in America (Ohio, in fact) and with a lifetime warranty.

Bottom line, I'd rather have a loaded Hi Point carbine than a sharp stick!

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

They are cheap. Ugly as F if you ask me. The one I tried worked with no issues but it was uninspiring to say the least. I wouldn’t get one. 

This kinda fits the bill of what im looking for actually. Just want to get my feet wet! I might check one out this weekend

6 hours ago, carl_g said:

They are cheap. Ugly as F if you ask me. The one I tried worked with no issues but it was uninspiring to say the least. I wouldn’t get one. 

That was my opinion when I was looking for one. I ended up with a Beretta CX4 Storm instead. But many people have said the 995 is very reliable. I love my pistol caliber carbines more than my AR15s.

Went looking for a 995 recently, to do a Bullpup conversion with it, but they were out of stock everywhere. So, I ended up doing a bullpup conversion with the 9mm CZ Scorpion EVO that I had.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

This kinda fits the bill of what im looking for actually. Just want to get my feet wet! I might check one out this weekend

Things look like they are made by Fisher Price. The first time you shoot it, bring a friend and let them go first. If it doesn't blow up, you are good to go.

• Haha 1

A couple of people I know have them. I think they look like the guns from Planet of the Apes but they seem to work so if you need one then "ya dance with who ya brung" I guess. Good luck finding one right now though. Inexpensive PCC is a really hot commodity in the current world...

-Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My first rifle I bought when I first got my FID card. Cheap, reliable, accurate. I got the high tower armory bullpup stock on mine and have a chicom rig to carry spare magazines. One of my most favorite rifles to shoot.

20200524_191814.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

Didn't one of the GI Joe characters carry a gun that looks like that?

Yeah, found it. GI Joe Ambush rifle 1990

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-1990-AMBUSH-Rifle-Gun/400081172969

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2AYAAOSwECZUrFDQ/s-l300.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

What can I say, cheapest way to get into bullpups in the US market

3 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

How do you like it?

I like it better in the bullpup configuration than the original one. More compact and shorter reach for better control. A little bit bulkier than it needs to be, but solid quality.

4 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

I also have a Beretta Storm CX4 in .45acp

My CX4 is in .40, still my favorite overall.

21 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I actually did find one in a local store, but it has a threaded barrel. After some googling it seems that needs to be welded on. Anyone care to chime in? How much would that cost?

Just screw on a muzzle brake, and call it a day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

If you don't play stupid games, your chances of winning stupid prizes is miniscule.

So its not legal and dont get caught? 

I have a clean record and my brothers a cop. Id be silly to change that over a 300 dollar gun. 

17 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

That is NOT what I said. Read my words and ruminate on them.

I have a clean record and my brothers a cop. Id be silly to change that over a 300 dollar gun. 

If you're worried about your brother popping you, you've got more problems than a non-welded muzzle brake or thread protector.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

It's all about risk/benefit. How many people have been locked up for going to the range with a 15 round mag after October 2018? Or an evil feature on a AR? Or getting busted with hollow points in their car stopping at McDonalds?

Do you speed on the Parkway?

Put some red locktite on it or JB Weld.

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

If you don't play stupid games, your chances of winning stupid prizes is miniscule.

True. There's bigger things to worry about in life, than getting busted with a threaded brake.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the thing, in my view . . . You're not likely to get busted at the range with a non-welded brake or with a 17 round mag in your Glock or with hollow points in your trunk at McDonald's.

But, if you are using the weapon for home defense, an otherwise clean self-defense incident can become all f'd up if your ammo and weapon aren't buttoned up and legal.

You might want to make your choices with that in mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I think most shops charge around $30-50. Do it and feel better about it. Or pin it yourself if you're handy with a drill. It doesn't need to be welded.

Agree. This is kinda where im at. I have no urge to risk anything. Thank you everyone for your help and information!

1 hour ago, EdF said:

But, if you are using the weapon for home defense, an otherwise clean self-defense incident can become all f'd up if your ammo and weapon aren't buttoned up and legal.

In theory, I agree. But if you use your weapon in THIS state for a clean self-defense incident, you're still going to be majorly f'd up, and the brake will be the least of your problems.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

In theory, I agree. But if you use your weapon in THIS state for a clean self-defense incident, you're still going to be majorly f'd up, and the brake will be the least of your problems.

I agree with your sentiment as well.  That's why I included the "otherwise clean" . . . But, if you shoot an intruder with a hollow point, shot out of a gun with a 30 round mag and a threaded barrel . . . You're starting off on the wrong foot . . . In fact, you likely don't even want to have those things in your safe.