Sota

NJ MVC/DMV vehicle inspection...

57 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Went to Manahawkin maybe 2 weeks ago during the day.  No line at all.  Drive right in.  Took me about 5 minutes total.

You and I were probably there at the same time. :good:

We should have done lunch afterwards! :xD:

12 hours ago, Handyman said:

Wouldn't you need a 20222 sticker if you are getting inspected now?

No.

My inspections are due 2/2021.  you can go up to 2 months in advance.  ergo if I go now  I can get my 2023 sticker now, and not have to wait for february to come around, and not have to drive anything in possibly foul weather/roads.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, Sota said:

I guess. I'm just trying to avoid having to go in february with 6' of snow on the ground, which is how it will work for me.

I usually take off my own inspections sticker and clean the old adhesive before going because my vehicle has heating elements on the glass and I hate the way those guys hack off the old stickers with their dull scrapers.

Last time I wasn't paying attention and the guy put on an April sticker when I had a September due date, he said that what the registration date was, true, but now I lost 5 months and didn't want to be stuck with an April due date.

Covid rolls in and with the extensions I didn't have to go until Sept after all.   I took my sticker off as usual beforehand, got a lane where I could watch and talk to the guy doing the inspection.

He was grouch of course but told him that I always had September due date but they gave me an April sticker last. He said if was always Sept that what it should be and he put a Sept sticker on for me.

Moral of the story: it never hurts to ask if you know what I mean.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Sota said:

...I can't imagine DMV being *THAT* inept....

Fixed that for you. :)

Joking aside, I usually see at least one example of the "new year" sticker on the road by now. I'm kind of surprised that I haven't. I did read somewhere, that as of mid-December, they still weren't out yet. Not sure if that's still the case.

a little off topic but figure I'd ask here....

My windshield was replaced around August and they did a shit job salvaging the inspection sticker.  As luck would have it  my windshield got cracked again today due to flying projectile. I’m scheduled for replacement next week and no doubt going to need a new inspection sticker. The question is has anyone ever done just the inspection sticker only at NJ DMV?  The vehicle isn’t due until 5/22 so just wondering if this is going to be another NJ cluster fuck or will they pass you though the lines without an inspection? TIA

On 1/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, FXDX said:

a little off topic but figure I'd ask here....

My windshield was replaced around August and they did a shit job salvaging the inspection sticker.  As luck would have it  my windshield got cracked again today due to flying projectile. I’m scheduled for replacement next week and no doubt going to need a new inspection sticker. The question is has anyone ever done just the inspection sticker only at NJ DMV?  The vehicle isn’t due until 5/22 so just wondering if this is going to be another NJ cluster fuck or will they pass you though the lines without an inspection? TIA

Bring the old sticker with you. Its a nightmare if you remove the sticker yourself. 

24 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Bring the old sticker with you. Its a nightmare if you remove the sticker yourself.

Thanks but already been there. Safelite put the old damaged sticker back exactly how the dealership did so there was no further damage.  Took receipt with me as per Sota but the inspector said I have to go inside for a new sticker. I advised him I wasn’t happy and he said I just need the insert (#6) to make it look acceptable. He removed the old mangled insert and inserted a new one. It’s hanging on but still peeling off from 2.5 sides.  once we get a warm day I’ll cut a few strips of postal packing tape and go around the sticker’s perimeter.