Bklynracer

James Bond Movie - Radio telescope collapse footage.

That sucks.  I went there in 2003.  Still have a T-Shirt from the gift shop.  It was a cool place.  It was also used in the movie Contact and was a prominent setting in the video game Battlefield 4.  EA boosted the size of the site and it wasn’t accurate in terms of many details of the surrounding area, but the dish and towers were very detailed.  Ironically, if you shot the cables at their anchors, you could collapse the whole thing. And the sequence looked a lot like that real video.

https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Rogue_Transmission

• Like 1

In addition to being a cool movie prop, it was also a remarkable radio telescope.   We're unlikely to ever see another one like it.  But one of the support cables snapped a few weeks ago, damaging the reflector dish below, and a second cable snapped a week or so after that...at which point they declared the scope unsalvageable, but they hadn't begun to figure out a safe way to dismantle it...when the 'scope kind of took matters into it's own hands on Tuesday.

11 hours ago, 10X said:

In addition to being a cool movie prop, it was also a remarkable radio telescope.   We're unlikely to ever see another one like it.  But one of the support cables snapped a few weeks ago, damaging the reflector dish below, and a second cable snapped a week or so after that...at which point they declared the scope unsalvageable, but they hadn't begun to figure out a safe way to dismantle it...when the 'scope kind of took matters into it's own hands on Tuesday.

Definitely sad to see it go.

I didn't realize how old it was (completed in 1963).  I would imagine maintenance in that tropical environment was a bit of a nightmare.  Hurricanes, earthquakes, corrosion, etc, etc.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Didn't see a Bond movie with that in it but did see it in Contact, which I liked. I wonder if they did any cable maintenance over the decades?

It was still in use, wasn't it?

It was still in use until a second cable snapped in November.  Apparently the first cable snapped way back in August.  There are a couple of small instruments associated with the lab that are still in use, but this one was the crown jewel.

Goldeneye was the Bond movie that used the telescope as a backdrop.  It collapsed in the movie, too.

Goldeneye clip of Aricebo

• Thanks 1