jasonx

first-time gun applicant - been over 6 months! Bergen County

He want to the local dept and local cops gave him the usual "we're overloaded" response. But it's been over 6 months and I know people who applied around the same time and got it done within a month. He got the references to respond back immediately after applying, got the prints done a little while later, and been waiting ever since.

Is there some sort of contact fax or address for the state police? Doesn't look like the locals can do anything.

Mine took about four months in Mount Laurel somewhere around 2009.  The detectives that I talked to there didn't give a shit about the must issue requirements.  I kept calling once a week (after about two months) until they called and said it was ready to pick up.  

My first contact would be the officer or detective responsible, followed by the chief then the mayor.  Get an actual status.  It may just be sitting on a desk waiting for a signature.

3 hours ago, jasonx said:

He want to the local dept and local cops gave him the usual "we're overloaded" response. But it's been over 6 months and I know people who applied around the same time and got it done within a month. He got the references to respond back immediately after applying, got the prints done a little while later, and been waiting ever since.

Is there some sort of contact fax or address for the state police? Doesn't look like the locals can do anything.

The short is No.  It appears that NJSP Firearms unit is longer answering questions regarding application statuses (See the link below).  The local police department should be able to give him a status on his application.  I agree with EdF, talk with the person in charge of processing applications.  If you get no satisfaction, talk to the police chief.  As a last resort, you might try contacting Alexander Roubian, of NJ2AS, he might be able to help.  I don't have his contact information.  Perhaps someone else here does??

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/index.shtml

Just something to consider, but in many towns the Mayor is more accessible than the police chief and can make a lot of shit roll down hill on to the chief's desk. 

But if the state police firearms unit is no longer leaning on people, I'm guessing that retirement has fucked NJ gun owners. If your PD is shit, you won't be owning guns anytime soon and will have zero recourse other than the courts. I'm sure we will be needing to drag this shit along to SCOTUS at some point, and the indication is that arbitrary delays are in the sights of the RKBA lawyering crowd with the suit against illinois. 

I'm sure almost everyone here already knows this, but the precedent for ignoring the 30 day STATUTE (it is an actual statute) was set by a judge in Camden years ago who ruled public safety supersede the statute, and a card need not be issued or denied until the issuing authority has competed it investigation (without any time limitation what so ever).

I got my Florida non-res CCW in 4 or 5 months less time than it took for my NJ resident Purchasers ID