Kennydnj

Hunting license expiration

Hello.

Quick question. I'd love to use Clinton wildlife managenent area and want to get a hunting license to do so. I believe I read that the licenses expire at the end of the calandar year. Anybody know if thats true? If so I imagine it would be silly for me not to wait until January 2021 to apply right.

One more thing. I only own a rifles and handguns. Do I need a shotgun to take a test of some sort? I only ask because I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine recently offered to let me 'borrow a shotgun for the test'

Thanks

Ken

A hunting license expires December 31st, no matter if you buy it on January 1st or December 1st.  Unless you plan on going a couple times this year, or would spend more than $27.50 to go to a different range, I would hold off until next year.

When you say "apply" do you mean take the one time hunter safety class?  If you haven't already done so, you need to pass the course (I believe it is currently online only for the course, with specific schedules for the in-person safety portion (and I assume written test still?  I went years ago and did the free route instead of paying for the online one.))  I don't know what the availability of slots for the live fire bit is - they tend to fill up quick, so I doubt you will get a slot this year anyway, but get the ball rolling on the process now and get an earlier slot so you can get more trigger time at Clinton.

For the safety portion with live fire, they will loan you a shotgun if you do not have a shotgun.  You'll have to shoot a couple shells, don't worry as much about hitting the targets as showing safe operation and handling.

Legally, you aren't really able to "borrow" a shotgun, unless your friend is there with you the entire time (and that may be restricted now due to the rona)

One last thing, Clinton WMA rifle range is for rifles .30 cal and below (and shotguns) ONLY.  No pistols.  Not sure about non NFA firearms technically, though I may or may not have seen some there.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, Malice4you said:

A hunting license expires December 31st, no matter if you buy it on January 1st or December 1st.  Unless you plan on going a couple times this year, or would spend more than $27.50 to go to a different range, I would hold off until next year.

When you say "apply" do you mean take the one time hunter safety class?  If you haven't already done so, you need to pass the course (I believe it is currently online only for the course, with specific schedules for the in-person safety portion (and I assume written test still?  I went years ago and did the free route instead of paying for the online one.))  I don't know what the availability of slots for the live fire bit is - they tend to fill up quick, so I doubt you will get a slot this year anyway, but get the ball rolling on the process now and get an earlier slot so you can get more trigger time at Clinton.

For the safety portion with live fire, they will loan you a shotgun if you do not have a shotgun.  You'll have to shoot a couple shells, don't worry as much about hitting the targets as showing safe operation and handling.

Legally, you aren't really able to "borrow" a shotgun, unless your friend is there with you the entire time (and that may be restricted now due to the rona)

One last thing, Clinton WMA rifle range is for rifles .30 cal and below (and shotguns) ONLY.  No pistols.  Not sure about non NFA firearms technically, though I may or may not have seen some there.

Thank you for verifying the information regarding the license expiration date. Yes, when I said "apply" I was indeed referring to taking the safety class and whatnot. So the shotgun is an absolute necessity? As far as having to shoot one? There isn't an option of using a rifle instead? 

Thanks again for the details.

Ken

Edit* Nevermind I just read the How to get a hunting license post that is listed at the top of this hunting forum. 

The test is pretty easy.  Most of it is common sense.

I did the free test few tears ago.

Home study.  Watch a few videos onlinee.  Fill out a workbook that you handed in before taking test.

Schedule your test far in advance.  As others said they do fill up fast.

Good luck!

FYI you can apply and pay for an apprenticeship license, without taking the required safety course, and be able to hunt with another licensed hunter.
 I’m not sure how that will work using the range but I was under the impression these ranges were set up for practice shooting. 
 An “apprentice” definitely should be practicing their shooting skills. 

Thanks again for all the info. I took the online course and passed it so now I gotta get signed up for the in person thing. There was no link (or the link didn't work or something) to set up a day. I think I'll call them and see what I gotta do.

Thanks again