jm1827

Turkey frying help!

So, I fried our Thanksgiving turkey this year, as I have for the past several years.  23# bird, completely thawed and rested at room temperature for about 15 minutes prior to frying.

Placed it into 300 degree peanut oil that I raised to 350 degree after the bird went in.  Cooked for a total of 80 minutes (3.5 minutes per pound), which I have done many times in the past, but this year the bird was definitely over done.  I did not brine, it was defrosted in the refrigerator.

Any suggestions?  Should I pull the bird out and do a temp check of the breast or thigh at some time before the full allotment?  This is the first time that it came out over done using the 3.5 minute per pound fry time.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Thanks, I actually pulled the turkey 5 minutes early this time and tool its temp, and to my surprise it was done.  I will pick up one of those digitals, much quicker than my old analog!

On 12/5/2020 at 8:22 PM, Tunaman said:

I prefer https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

20 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

I've heard so many good things about the Thermapen.   I did cheap out, and buy this instead:

Instant read thermometer

I've had it for a year, and find myself using it a LOT.   So far, I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1